“Great hotel”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Stayed a few times wine and dine package excellent value ,bar restaurant newly refurbished to a very high standard .staff excellent a great hotel parking no problem for a city centre hotel and free .concierge very helpful first class service .

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank jenkaboy
Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed 20 July 2013

The Vermont Hotel surprised us with its elegance and grandeur which were not at all faded as indicated in another review. We could not believe were we we were staying for only £30 each for the night including a delicious breakfast with lots of choices. We were there for our son's graduation and the hotel as well as the amazing weather helped make it a really special occasion. All the staff were helpful and friendly and despite being in the heart of the city we had free parking directly outside. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We arrived to be greeted by 3 receptionists, one said "I'm not doing them!", a second was sorting out a complaint (quite loudly) on the phone and the third checked us in with a complete lack of welcome, I had to ask several questions and felt I was imposing!
Our room however was very nice, this was clearly a very nice hotel in its day but could do with a little TLC. It was very comfortable however and is in an excellent spot, easy walking distance to the town centre and the quays.
Unusually for a city centre hotel parking is good and free. All of the other staff that we met were really friendly and helpful so I really don't know what the problem was with reception.
I would happily stay here again when next in Newcastle.

Room Tip: Go for a higher room at the front, fewer trains!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
SThanon, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.

Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. Although it is disapointing that our reception team were not delivering the standards I would expect during your recent visit, I must thank you for bringing this to my attention in order that I can remind the team of the impact of their actions, and the importance of you; our guest.

I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed here on the £59 LivingSocial deal, so felt we'd got more than our money's-worth in many respects. The location is excellent, the showers are powerful and the breakfast was tasty.

The main problem was the noise - I called ahead and requested a quiet room, but when we arrived we hadn't realised check-in was 2pm (as check-out is 12pm). We needed to get ready for a wedding so the receptionist booked us in the only room that was ready - 919 - but advised the reception was 24hr so we could call and move rooms any time if we needed to.

This turned out to be necessary. When we returned that night the clubs in the streets below were just too distracting, and the room was very hot so we couldn't close the windows. When I called reception the lady said she'd see what she could do. She called us 5mins later to say she was standing in room 702 and thought it might suit us better - apparently she'd being going room to room and listening! 702 was far better, cooler and only the occasional sound of passing trains. We had a lovely night's sleep, and only returned to 919 the next day to pack up our things.

The Vermont should consider offering the noisier rooms at cheaper rates, or at least provide ear-plugs! The rooms are a bit dated (a CRT telly with a grainy picture isn't what you'd expect from a 4* hotel, and the rooms don't seem to be air-conditioned), but there seems to be a lot of facilities offered that make its rating higher (24hr room service, laundry facilities, gym, etc).

If I'd have paid a full price for this stay I wouldn't have been v happy, but as it was it was fine. And I can't speak highly enough of the staff (especially Tracey the room-listener!) who seemed to sincerely want to go above and beyond to help the guest be comfortable. Hopefully soon their resources at the Vermont will match their professional attitudes :)

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for the feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay, and in particular your comments have been passed on to Tracey!

Absolutely as a city centre hotel, we will always be subject to some noise disruption but please contact our reservations manager ahead of arrival and we will do our utmost to allocate a quieter bedroom suite for you in future.

We certainly do hope to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel really isn't as fancy at seems, me and my partner had a voucher to stay there at a discount and since were were visiting newcastle anyway, we thought we might as well use the voucher we were given by a family member.
Our voucher included being able to use the spa and surprise surprise the spa facilities were closed on the day that we stayed. This was disappointing and just made me glad we weren't full paying customers.
The outside of the hotel looks so grand and is in a lovely location but our room was a bit shabby, not even as nice as a premiere inn room in my opinion.
The one thing I really loved about the hotel was the bar, it was so cosy in there, we sat in armchairs by the fire and had a few drinks...although the drinks were way over priced.
So my stay wasn't bad but I would not pay full to stay there as it's really nothing special.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.

The Hotel is currently undergoing a £3.5m improvement program, and I am very sorry that this did disrupt your stay. I am pleased to advise that the gym, sauna and steam room facility are all complete and available to residents 24 hours. The bedroom program will soon begin, and in the mean time I am pleased you enjoyed the Redwood Bar and Lounge, which re opened in Easter of this year.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont once the program is complete.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Overall this was a good hotel and we got good value for what we paid (£59 on a living social deal - B+B) We were on the 10th floor and I personally didn't think the rooms were too dated or shabby (as stated in other reviews.) Our bathroom sink was cracked, but the receptionist was very apologetic when we mentioned it the next morning. The television was old with a grainy picture, but I hadn't come to Newcastle to watch the television! My main moan was the noise. There was a bar outside our side of the hotel and the music (very loud) went on until 2am. Despite double glazing and thick curtains you could still hear the noise. I had requested a river view and a quiet room, so I presume the staff thought the 10th floor would be quiet and I did get the river view. Also, the bath tap dripped all night and we had to get up and put a towlel underneath (not a big problem) The cooked breakfast was good and good service, very nice dining room. There were no cold meats or cheeses for the continental but enough choice of cereals, rolls and croissants + fruit and yogurt and fresh toast with a selection of jams/marmalade. We had no problem finding a parking space and the hotel is ideally situated for the city centre and quayside. There was a very good, reasonably priced Moroccan restaurant nearby called Noosh. Would I stay here again - probably, but not on a Friday and possibly not a Saturday. However, Newcastle is renowned for it's weekend nightlife, so I suspect a lot of city hotels will be noisy.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

To start im 25 years old, I've traveled all over the world and stayed in all kinds of hotels at all different rates & I have never wrote a review before but with this experience I feel like I have to....
I purchased 1 night stay in The Vermont Hotel Newcastle a upon tyne for me and my partner through the lastminuite.com website. It was 50% off sale so we got got the room for £44.50 rather than £89. We checked in around 6pm tonight. The website states there is free parking, we arrived and there was no free parking available so we had to pay, we then checked in and went up to our room on the 10th floor. The room was dirty, really old and tatty. The tv was very old and did not work at all. The website also states free wifi is included which also didn't work. We enquired with reception and they said there wasn't anything they could do. Around 8.20pm (just over 2hours after checking in) we decided to check out and go elsewhere. While checking out the reception said they would move us to a better room which annoyed us even more, as we had been put in an old tatty room at the back of the hotel with no working basic facilities when there is other adequate rooms available. I will not be staying at the Vermont hotel ever again and I will also not be using the so called promotional 'sales' as there's no point booking at a discounted if I'm going to get poor treatment and service. However despite the awful service and facilities the location is very good. Very central in the heart of newcastle. A lot of bars and restaurants within walking distance. I highly recommend el torero a Spanish tapas restaurant which is a 5 minute walk away from the Vermont hotel.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel at a discounted rate! Half the price half the service!