“Good value grand old hotel in a grand old town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Miami Beach, Florida
“Good value grand old hotel in a grand old town”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Newcastle is a fabulous city in all respects--splendid architecture and interior design in the pubs--and what a great variety of beers there are available in the town's many awesome watering holes. The Tyneside Cinema is amazing, showing that this city has a world class arts and culture scene as well as trashy nightlife.

Vermont Hotel is in a perfect location, as others have mentioned. The price is fantastic for what you get. The room was one of the largest we had in the country and best price. Free parking and WiFi. Extreme high pressure shower. Rooms are generally clean and classy except for the old useless tube TV.

What's not to like? Well, there is a boom-boom bar below the hotel that got loud and annoying on the last night of our stay, which was Thursday. If I'd known that earlier, I would have been able to change rooms. I would certainly have appreciated the front desk having warned me about the club.

In spite of this, I still give 5* for the Vermont because I feel that Newcastle is a party town and if you really need to retire early or have quiet place to stay, you need to stay outside of city center. The boom-boom bar stopped at 1AM, which is very reasonable. But if you can, do request firmly when you check in that you would like a quiet room and perhaps you will get luckier than I. If you want location like this, you must be willing to put up with some noise if you are staying Thurs-Sun anyway. I would most certainly recommend this as a city center option and would stay again (perhaps not on a weekend tho--could be a bit crazy!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This really is a four star hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful from arriving in the car park to checking out on the day of leaving. The room was of a decent size and very clean. The location is superb with the shopping close by and the evening nightlife on your door step. I got an excellent last minute deal through a hotel comparison sites website which made my stay perfect. The food in the bar on the night was excellent quality at a reasonable price and the only slight downside was there was a fifteen minute wait at the bar to get drinks served. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Newcastle .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Smoggy-boy1964
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We have just celebrated our daughter`s wedding at the Vermont, food,staff,service excellent. I must comment on the attentiveness of the staff throughout the day and the excellent food served throughout. Comfortable rooms with stunning views, yes probably could require updating. But overall a fantastic enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view as these are quieter rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
north england
Reviewed 29 July 2013

If your visiting Newcastle and want the benefits of the party capital of Britain without the downside, see the views, visit the quayside and the city centre with minimum effort, park your car, meet friendly but not obsequious staff in an upmarket but not pretentious hotel this is the place to go. Forget the remarks about "tired décor" you should be enjoying yourself with all the other folks from Dublin, Glasgow, London etc who know a lot more about shoddy places than you will ever learn here.

Room Tip: Ask for high up floor 11 is good and facing the bridges. The lifts are very fast you can exit at flo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

our visit was mainly to see mrs browns boys on the saturday night, after arriving by rain had a little walk before finding it and seems a lovely hotel apart from a small mix up being given the wrong keys and finding shopping bags on the chairs we will forgive them for that!!!! but our correct room had a great view of the river and bridge etc and after some people had warned about train noise hardy heard a thing, we didnt have dinner there as we wanted to be nearer the show though we may of done if they had been a little earlyier starting however breakfast was included in the price which they had a buffet for you to help yourself then someone comes round to ask if you want tea or coffee and any toast, but there is a good choice and i would consider this hotel in the future for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: we had a back room and what a veiw we had !!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
inverurie
Reviewed 26 July 2013

had a lovely wkd with my niece and all the family and friends for her hen party. For £149 for the weekend we had 2 night bed and breakfast with dinner the 2nd night at a restaurant across the road from hotel, also we did the treasure hunt sat morning the on to the cocktail making in the afternoon which we got nachos to eat as well. Breakfastwas lovely both morning, rooms tidy and nice fresh bedding and lovely white bath towels, yes carpet could be doing with a change but that is guests themselves that spoil that, thats the 2nd hen party I have been at and would def go back as hotel itself is not noisy, us old one,s went back to hotel both nights for a relaxing drink before retiring to bed and the ar staff looked after us well. it wasn,t noist with hen partys either. Rooms were very hot, was a fan in room but its been clamy at home as well so can,t blame them for that, yes you did here trains but then I,m from a quiet village so I expected it to be noisy

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed in The Vermont for a week when doing some work experience recently. The location really was brilliant, right in the centre of town just a quick walk to Central station or Monument as well as the Quayside. The only problem with the location was that being so close to the train station did mean there was a bit of noise from the trains going past when I was in my room.

Overall I found my room fairly comfortable, maybe a little on the small side but it had two good sized desks which were good for doing work in the evening. I agree with what a lot of people have already said that my room could have done with a little attention. Although there was nothing specifically wrong with it, it just felt a little tired, a few stains on lampshades and the bed for instance. For the money I paid I think I would have expected something a little bit nicer probably.

The staff were generally quite friendly. They printed out some things for me which was very helpful and useful and they were quick to send an iron up to my room when I asked for one. I was a little bit annoyed that when I asked for a receipt for my stay they gave me a bill for 2 breakfasts which I hadn't had but again, they sorted that out quite quickly.

If I could have given this a three and a half I would have done!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business