“Out of date room interior, Appalling Service”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Limerick, Ireland
“Out of date room interior, Appalling Service”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

When we first arrived in the hotel, there was a very unhappy customer who had only stayed the first night of their stay. The reception was rude him. At first I thought the customer was being fussy.
We had to wait 15 minutes to be looked after with no apology. The receptionist was rude and very unhelpful when asking about things to see and do in the area.
When we got to our room, it was very hot and smelled of TCP. My friend (who is a supervisor in a 4* hotel herself) went to complain, which the receptionist was very miserable about and very unhelpful. Reluctantly, we were given another room, which wasnt much of an improvement.
There was no air-con in the room and the window only opened ajar; all that was provided was a small fan.
On one occasion, we rang room service. 40 minutes later we were still waiting. We had to ring again, which they passed off saying "there had been a problem" No apologies were given for this. We planned to have dinner in the hotel but decided to spend our money elsewhere.
Other friends had stayed in Sleeperz around the corner, which was more modern, with friendly and helpful staff. This was also cheaper and more central.
The pluses of this hotel: it has a gym and the bar is very young and trendy. It is also very central with a good view, if requested.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jmLimerick
Shadia T, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Can I firstly apologise for the poor service you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. Following your feedback, I have arranged a meeting with the front of house team to highlight the importance of you, our guest and ensure that everyone works together to deliver the Geordie welcome for which we are renowned!
I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a Superbreak which included rail travel on East Coast trains and Bed and Breakfast in this hotel,
Our room was spacious with kings size bed and large bathroom. There were tea and coffee making facilities and a mini bar in the room. There was a rather old fashioned TV and DVD player available. Wifi was free and worked well. However probably because we were on a cheap deal we were given a room at the back overlooking a dingy fire escape and had practically no natural light which meant we needed the lights on all the tine. It was a bit tired decor wise but clean with good large fluffy towels.. There was continuous buzzing from water pipes or similar but did not stop us from sleeping. To be honest if we had been staying any longer I would have complained and asked for another room.
Breakfast was a cold buffet of fruits, cereals etc with a good selection of cooked breakfast available. However the eggs Benedict I had was disappointing as it came in a sea of cold sauce completely swamping the eggs.The public areas of the hotel were pleasant.
We enjoyed our break but if staying in the future I would demand a refurbished room with daylight!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for one at the front or at least with some sort of a view!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for the feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.
Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in, and likewise areas for improvement.
Bedroom allocations are booked based on a first come arrangement, and often third party bookings do take a little longer to reach the hotel than those made direct. Should you prefer a specific bedroom or view, please do not hessitate to book directly on 0191 233 1010 and we will do our utmost to accommodate.
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Staff very professional and helpful.
Hotel does look very grand from the outside and ground floor and reception lobby areas are pleasant. However I think it really does depend on how much you paid for your room. This was a business trip so I would have stayed in a standard or basic room. Rooms were fairly clean with good facilities but quite tired and probably in need of updating to maintain to overall standard that the hotel must aspire to.

Wi-fi, although complimentary, is fairly poor. You may also get a really bad room which I did in terms of where it was located (right next to the railway line where the trains wait, with very poor light and very noisy) however reception kindly sorted me out with another room.
As this hotel is in the city centre, expect noise. Even though I was staying mid week there's nightclub noise with music and screaming people that keep you up until the early hours.
Breakfast was average, often food was burnt and rock hard even though supposedly cooked to order.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback. I appreciate your kind comments relating to the staff throughout The Hotel, and will pass this on to all. All public areas of The Hotel have recently been upgraded and I hope; do reflect the grandeur and standard expected within such an iconic hotel.
Guest bedrooms are scheduled to undergo the same development in the New Year, until which time our maintenance and housekeeping departments do their utmost to improve the standards that you, our guest receives.
I am sorry that you did experience some issue with internet facilities during your recent visit. This is something that has recently been upgraded, and should therefore be without issue. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights for our 41st wedding anniversary.

The hotel was excellent in every way possible, the staff were superb, the room very good and the breakfast was well cooked and served.

I would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay while in Newcastle.

Room Tip: I heard the hotel was noisy so asked for a room in the quiet part of the hotel, we can honestly say...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Shadia T, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for this wonderful feedback following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel. It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Hotel "comes with wifi in every room" - false, and when staff were told, weren't helpful. Little to no security - people can walk in and out of the hotel, and go onto any floor without check. We had a drunk man asleep in the elevator!!!!
Reception looks very nice, however rooms were very dated. Electrics which were due to be tested 03.01.13 still weren't on 22.10.13!!!
No room safe box, hairs in bed and bathroom.
For the price, I'd really recommend shopping around for another city centre hotel!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gary D
Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way.

As part of the forthcoming improvement program a £3m investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect. This has already included a new wifi provision throughout.

Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed as was going to gig at the sage - great location, 5 min from sage / 5 min from city centre...
Hotel advertised free parking, and I got it.. But by luck only. There is only a handful of free car parking spaces and first come first served
Lobby looks great.. The place goes down hill from there
Room was big, a twin room, but dated
Haven't seen such an old tv in years, 6 channels was ure limit
All appliances had PAT testing labels advising that next text was due January 2013.. Worrying
Free wifi? Not I'm my room. Advised reception who werent interested at all
Poor cleaning
No security in the hotel - people walk in and out of the hotel at will, on all floors. Drunk man in lift at 1am...
Really wouldnt recommend this hotel...

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul D
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. As a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not. I would like to apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel, and I will work with the team to ensure they do not occur again.
We do offer concierge parking to ensure that all residents are accommodated, the wifi provision has been upgraded to improve the service we provide, and the forthcoming bedroom upgrade program will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just couldn't really complain about the 2 nights we have just spent at the Vermont. Went with friends and all our rooms were fine, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice and well cooked. We were kept waiting 40 mins or so to check in as one of the rooms was not ready. We had requested adjacent rooms but we were told this was not possible as they had a wedding going on and these guests had priority and in any case requests are not guaranteed, fair enough. We found the location excellent as one of our friends has mobility problems and there is a pub just across the road from the main reception and if you go down the lift to the lower entrance you are straight into the bars and restaurants near the Quayside. We didn't do much more! 5 minute walk from the railway station too. We booked our rooms through a 3rd party agent and were very happy with the deal we got.

Room Tip: Some rooms just don't have a view but I was happy to watch the railway, sad eh?
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.
As part of the forthcoming improvement program an extensive investment will help to return The Vermont Hotel to the standards our guests have come to expect. It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the NEW Vermont Hotel in the very near future.