“Lovely city centre hotel”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Fabulous public rooms in this city centre hotel and great river views from the dining room.

Excellent food both for dinner and breakfast.

Bedroom adequate, decorations a bit tired. We had a great nights sleep, lovely visit to Newcastle and would recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2014
There are newer reviews for The Vermont Hotel

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great hotel in a central location,rooms clean and large compared to most city center hotels .valet service for parking at busy times .and a great breakfast choice. Lounge bar like a gentle mans club ideal to enjoy a large drink at the end of the day .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2014

The reception area, and bar restaurant are very nice, staff were all very polite and friendly,
my first room, the bath and toilet were broke, but got moved rooms really quickly and easily.
Second room was nice, bed is really comfortable, however the room is dated, and really needs a refresh. Had similar issues with the key card, locking me out every day and having to pop down to reception, seems a common issue. Mini-bar was shoved in a drawer. However my biggest gripe was the TV and Wifi which were shocking, Random channels in a random order stored on the tv and wifi was almost non existant, in this day and ages and for a 4 star hotel is pretty poor. However for the price, still had an enjoyable trip

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben S
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner stayed here for 1 night after celebrating my friends wedding at the hotel.
Our stay at The Vermont was overall an average one although I did have 2 problems.

The hot tap in the bathroom wouldn't work at all, there was just no water coming out whatsoever. I reported this to reception and they said they'd send housekeeping up to have a look at it and also offered to move us to a different room if they couldn't fix it but as we were there to celebrate my friends wedding packing up and moving when their evening reception was about to start wasn't very appealing.
When we returned to the room we realised the heating in the room also seemed to be non existent. I followed all the instructions left on how to work the air conditioning unit but it just blew out cold air and made it worse. I turned the thermostat to 5 and still the room stayed cold. As it was nearly 2.30am we decided to just make the best of it and wrap up under the quilt.
Waking on Sunday morning to the same coldness and having to get out of a hot shower to that did not send me home in the best of moods.
One thing I can praise the hotel for is some of the staff. The bar staff and the housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. Tracey and Jack stood out from all the rest.

I have emailed the general manager with my complaints but obviously the staff are much better at customer service than their superiors.

I think I'd have reservations about booking to stay here for the night again at the price they charge. I've had better experiences in a basic hotel in magaluf!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My friend booked this as a mystery hotel - booking two single rooms. When we arrived we were delighted. We were each given a double room, very comfortable and clean.The hotel is very central for the Sage and Baltic and the shops. Everything very accessible in easy reach of buses and the metro. Loads of restaurants nearby. Staff helpful and friendly.
A great stay for a great price.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed on a Thursday night. Reception area very plush, however the bedroom was drab and dated. Cold water taps in sink and bath didnt work. Shower didnt work. Ran a bath but the hot tap jammed and couldnt be turned off so when the hot water ran out, bath filled with cold water. Very poor channel choice on the TV and no radio. Was woken in the early hours by drunken hen party making noise in the corridor. Emailed general manager and didnt get any response, which sums up the attitude to customer service in this hotel. Dont waste your money - stay at a Holiday Inn/Premier Inn, you will pay less and get a much better standard of facilities.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

I got this room at a bargain price, and this was certainly reflected in what I was given. The hotel entrance and lobby were stunning, really setting the scene of how good this hotel should have been. The staff were polite but I left them feeling rushed and they weren't exactly friendly. The standard double room I was given was ok however I feel a modern premier inn room would have been nicer. The wallpaper was peeling, the tiles in the bathroom had mould on the grout, the tv tuning was poor to say the least (4 channels and not the main ones, fuzzy picture) When it came to the 'valet' parking I had to do this myself and walk back up from the car park - only a few hundred metres away but this was meant to be part of the service. I suppose if I was driving an Aston Martin rather than a Corsa it would have been. I understand top hotels want to fill their rooms so offer them cheaper when they aren't selling them, (I bought on laterooms.com) but I still expect the normal service associated with that hotel. If this was supposed to be 4* then i've been staying in 5* budget accommodation as i've had better service and facilities in £30 a night rooms than this £70 a night one.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business