“Great value Vermont!”

The Vermont Hotel
rochdale
“Great value Vermont!”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here over the Easter weekend on our first visit to Newcastle. First off it's right on the river Tyne in front of the bridge, our room had this amazing view!!
It's five minutes uphill walk into the city centre and Gateshead is just over the Tyne Bridge.
Our room was a decent size, with a sofa and coffee table and a very comfortable bed. It also had a fridge but there were holes in the wall where the trouser press had been, and the wallpaper was dated but to be fair there was a letter in the room from the management stating that they were in the middle of refurbishment which should be completed soon. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space and a full size flat screen tv on the wall, wifi in the rooms which I had no trouble connecting straight to. Bathroom was a decent size, again the shower was a bit dated but we also had a bath, and there was loads of hot water and white company toiletries.
We didn't eat in the hotel so we can't comment on the restaurant, but the bar was really nice and comfortable, with average hotel prices.There is also a cocktail bar with an outside courtyard which was very busy both the nights we were there.It also has a 'Sky Lounge' on the 12th Floor but we were disappointed to hear it was for private parties only, shame, the view up there must be really good!!
All the staff we dealt with were friendly and efficient, we really enjoyed our stay and we would recommend it for a city break in Newcastle. We liked the fact that it was independently owned, we thought it was lovely!
There is a Wetherspoons on the riverside 5 minutes walk away called the Quayside, with outside seating, and loads of bars and restaurants in the immediate vicinity, yet we found the hotel to be quiet even late on Saturday night, so you definitely get a good night's sleep!!

Room Tip: I always ask for high floor front facing rooms as preference, we had room 915 which had an excellent...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Shadia T, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your kind comments which have been passed on to the team here at The Vermont Hotel. We strive to ensure that every guest receives the warm welcome for which we have become renowned, and it really does mean a lot that you have enjoyed your visit with us.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Malta
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lovely hotel with a delicious breakfast. Pity however that we were given a room facing a wall with a frequent train passing along the top part of this wall; therefore no view and noise from the trains which ran all night. Also we were under the illusion that newspapers were complimentary (that is what it says in the hotel handbook) and yet when we checked out we were charged for the newspaper we had ordered.

Room Tip: Ask if you have a view of the quayside before you book a room. The rooms at the back look out onto...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.

I am sorry that the newspaper information was unclear. We can arrange a free local newspaper on request, but national publications are chargeable. I have updated our guest directory to explain this more clearly.

Our city centre, hill side location does afford a number of varying views from our guest bedrooms. Should you plan a future visit, please do request a specific view if you have a preferance and our reservations manager will always do his utmost to accommodate.

I hope we will have the oportunity to welcome you back to The Vermont Hotel.
Marsascala, Malta
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I have been overcharged on my credit card after leaving the hotel. I tried to contact them several times by email and produced proof of not having purchased anything but the only reply I received was that the accounts person would need my card details etc. I sent them all the info but to no avail. They never reimbursed me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for sending your feedback, and take this opportunity to apologise for the issues you have encountered. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any relating email correspondence, but I would appreciate the opportunity to resolve this for you. Please could you forward details to me directly at generalmanager@vermonthotel.co.uk in order that I can investigate and resolve any previous confusion or errors which may have occurred.

I can only assume that a technical issue has prevented the information from reaching the team here at The Vermont Hotel, but I am disappointed that this issue has dampened what should have been an enjoyable stay for you. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests; please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way.
durham england
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here. Bargain price £52.00 for bed and breakfast with free parking for both of us. Excellent location, yes rooms are a little dated but very clean and comfortable beds. The lounge, Redwood bar and restaurant are all very modern and welcoming, great breakfast, Eggs Benedict was very yummy along with buttery croissants and gorgeous muffins and all staff are very friendly and professional. Looking forward to returning when the refurbished bedrooms are finished.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Can I take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful feedback that you left following your recent visit to the Vermont Hotel.

Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Start the day with a cold shower, (No hot water) then you have to use the pump action toilet, I reported the problem twice but no action taken. Complain about room service and the restraint manager just becomes abusive. I spend half the year in hotels across the globe and this is the worst so far

Stayed April 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to send your feedback; as a company we rely on people like yourself leaving feedback to let us know where we perform well and likewise where we do not.

Can I firstly apologise for the poor experience you feel you had at the Vermont Hotel. This is certainly not the impression that we wish to leave with our guests and please accept my sincerest apologies that you felt this way. I am not aware of any plumbing or hot water issues occurring recently, so I am sincerely sorry that such factors have affected your visit. I have tasked our maintenance manager with investigating this as a matter of urgency.

I would like the opportunity to discuss these issues with your further, particularly your experience with an abusive manager. This is certainly not the standard I expect from the management team, and I would like to personally resolve any such reports myself. Should you have time available to discuss this further, please contact me on 01912331010 or via email generalmanager@vermonthotel.co.uk.

I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed here several times now. Always great value for money. Probably the most under-appreciated hotel in Newcastle. Unlike chain hotels it has character, a beautiful and unique position overlooking the River Tyne and fab bars and restaurant. The Twilight Menu (£60 per couple for 3 courses including wine!) is probably the best menu in town and such great value. We've always loved the bar downstairs with a pianist and lovely cosy log fire but now with the Sky Lounge, its just even better! No where else in Newcastle has a view like the Sky Lounge -its beautiful!

Oh and finally, for us, the special touch of the hotel is the lovely Hotel Doorman/Porter/Elevator Conductor (whatever he is!). Possibly the nicest and most helpful bloke ever! He's been there years (especially since we can remember and we've been going for years now) and we hope he stays there forever because he always makes our stay so much more special and welcoming.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Livello Bar. Unfortunately since opening Liveloo the rooms on that side of...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Piercebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Free parking is a huge plus and the décor in the public areas is very pleasant. Our room [919] was slightly dated and although we could hear a little noise from Dean Street below & the train tracks, this didn’t spoil our stay or sleep. The room still had a decent view but I can only imagine how good the refurbished rooms are that fully overlook the Tyne. Shower had great pressure & our bed / bedding were comfortable. Drinks in the hotels three bars (all 3 of which are great for different reasons) were just about reasonably priced.

I found check in/out to be a tad understaffed and I think the concierge may have been having an off day, other than that the rest of the staff were polite. Breakfast choice wasn’t extensive but was of good quality. The lifts are quite old & can make for delays but otherwise I’m hard pressed to find many other faults.

If I could get a good deal I’d not hesitate to stop here again and will highly recommend the Vermont to friends & family.