“Great Place to stay.”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Very helpful staff especially the concierge, City center perfect for all parts of Newcastle.
Comfortable clean rooms.Got a fantastic deal via Top Secret Hotels.Short walk to station, also vey close to riverside.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
SmithGateshead_10, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Can I take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful feedback. Here at the Vermont we take feedback very seriously and with your help we are able to take the hotel forward in identifying what we areas we perform well in.

It really does mean a lot to us all that you enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to the Vermont in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We spent 2 nights here, it was in a great location and has onsite secure parking facilities (although you have to leave your keys at reception in case they need to move your car). The room was cosy, we stayed in a double room, the bathroom facilities were standard but the bed was comfy. We also had a great view over the castle keep and the Tyne. The public areas were beautiful and grand, we invited friend for drinks in the bar and they were suitably impressed. We would stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your lovely feedback. Your comments will be passed on to the team here at The Vermont Hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel, with excellent very helpful staff and in a great location to see the Tyne bridges and the Sage building. However, our weekend was spoiled by the noise from the Livello bar and the drunken residents who came to party for the weekend. Doors were slamming and people knocking on doors at 3 - 4 o'clock in the morning. The music from the Livello didn't finish until after 2.30 am, which was 6 floors beneath our window. I suggest using this hotel weekdays Monday to Thursday and not on weekends.

Room Tip: Avoid any rooms overlooking the Livello bar on weekends. In fact avoid Saturday nights unless you ar...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

As a City Centre Hotel, we do occasionally have some noise disruption from neighbouring businesses and very very rarely disruptive guests. I can only apologise that this did impact your visit. We do have particularly quiet rooms in The Hotel which we would be happy to allocate should you wish to return to The Vermont Hotel.

I really do hope that you can accept my apologies for the issues you raised, and I will work with the team to ensure that this will not happen again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Arrived on a Friday evening for one night only, booked through late rooms and got an amazing deal.
The location was great, amazingly clean and welcoming.
I stood in reception waiting for a short while whilst my partner parked the car, in the short space of time I was asked by two different staff if I was ok and did I need any help.
The room was clean and adequate, a little noisy as we were at the back of the hotel but for the price I certainly couldn't complain.
My only regret was that I wasn't staying longer!
I'll definitely return the staff made it!
Thank you!!

Room Tip: Try and get room that isn't on the back, a little noisy
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
ShadiaHernandez, General Manager at The Vermont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I am always honoured to receive positive comments with regards to the service that our guests receive, and I shall certainly share your feedback with those involved. Moreover, I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Vermont Hotel again in the future.

With Thanks
Shadia Hernandez, General Manager

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just finished a 5 night stay at the Vermont while in town on business. My room was adequately sized, the water pressure was fantastic, the staff were helpful, and I very much enjoyed my visit.

It's not easy to find a historic hotel that isn't running threadbare - but I was satisfied with the level of modernization. Yes, the carpet has seen a few feet in its day but it's FAR from an eyesore.

I recommend booking the breakfast package... Eat downstairs in the restaurant - although it's a perk to order breakfast delivered (at no extra charge) - the restaurant is beautiful and quite peaceful in the morning.

There was a slight shock one evening when I returned to my room to find emergency plumbing repairs were underway on my floor. Nobody was around and several doors on my hallway were wide open. I presumed my missing belongings were relocated, and returned to the front desk to inquire. The staff were apologetic and assured me that everything was safe and secure in a room one floor higher. Things break, stuff happens, no worries - but the staff must have a photographic memory. My belongings were organized exactly the way I had left them in the vacated room!!

The one real negative was that my mattress was somewhat uncomfortable. Definitely not unbearable, but I've had better mattresses at a Holiday Inn. It was clearly older than average and had a bend in the middle. I understand that quiet renovations are ongoing. Wifi can be spotty - especially in a corner suite, but I was able to connect without issue everyday from my desk. It's free!

Everything you could need is nearby. Dozens of restaurants line Dean/Grey Street. The riverfront is a 3 minute walk, and there are more historic attractions than you can shake a stick at. I took a shortcut through the nearly 1000 year old Black Gate every day on my way to the office and it continues to blow my mind.

When I visit Newcastle again, I won't hesitate to book this hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are lovely suites, but wifi can be spotty.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Excellent location, clean & opulent rooms. friendly & helpfull staff.
Highly recommended given the location and value for money. Free concierge parking & a breakfast menu to die for. Can't speak highly enough of the place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Graham H
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Booked via Late Rooms and didn't know what to expect, I wasn't disappointed at all. Room was big and spacious with everything you might night. Be careful not to indulge yourself in the pre-stocked fridge before reading the price list!

Checking in was a breeze - we weren't supposed to check in till 2pm but room was ready at 12 and we were let straight in.

Good location next to the Tyne and everything near by.

Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple