“Really enjoyed our stay”
Review of The Vermont Hotel

The Vermont Hotel
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My boyfriend took me to the Vermont for Valentines and I was a bit worried after reading some reviews on here but I honestly can't understand why some people had such problems with it.
The concierge was so helpful and nice, as were the reception staff, who allowed us to check in early. Our room wasn't massive but it was clean and tidy and yes, it isn't totally modern but I kind of liked the 'old-fashioned posh' style of it. I felt like I was in a 'proper' hotel.
Breakfast was nice, if not a little bit too fancy (sausages etc 'arranged' on the plate!), and all the staff who served us were really nice and couldn't do enough for us.
We didn't have to check out until 7pm on the Sunday, for no extra charge!!
It isn't cheap and it isn't the most modernly furnished but its smart and has a nice feel to it - we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Vermont Hotel

Reviewed 3 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Vermont for new years eve and it was fantastic the staff could not do enough for us they attended to our every need,we even got a free upgrade to a junior suite with bath robes and slippers.The gala dinner was superb great food and entertainment and again in the morning breakfast was spot on and the staff were really friendly and it was new years day!!! and to top it all a early check in and late check out (7.00pm) so we were able to have a relaxing day.We have read other reports about the decor and things being a bit dated,Well not at all Nothing frayed or worn and all done in the best of taste and we found it very relaxing.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 20 December 2008

I stayed at the Vermont Hotel for just one night THANK GOD on the 5th dec with my husband. Considering we have two children, one aged 16 months, it is important for us to have a nice time on the rare occasion we get away.
I have been a travel agent for 14 years and have obviously in that time,been to a huge variety of Hotels. I booked this Hotel at short notice through Superbreaks ( 5 days prior to travel ) and paid a whopping £161.00 for the night - for the price of it I assumed I wouldn't even need to look on a review site as surely for that cost it must be stunning - due to the fact it's more than the Malmaison ....... hello?!?!
I got the shock of my life on arrival, I just could not get over the state of the room and the Hotel in general. The only nice bit of it is the Reception and Lobby area. Getting in the lift and walking along the dated dim corridor to my room - I kept dissillusioning myself that the room would be fine. I was absolutely devastated when I walked in - especially when I am more than aware of how hard it is to get your money back once there!
The first thing i did was phone Superbreaks and ask them to arrange our removal from the Hotel without having to pay for the night. The Hotel point blank refused, and advised instead they would show us to another room. This next part is actually comical because they showed us another room........ and another room after that - they were both identical to the one we were in!!!!! I literally could not believe it. At this point we had to be out within 45 minutes for my husbands work Christmas Meal so could not do one thing about moving.
I have since written a complaint to the Operator and am awaiting a response. I absolutely beg you as a member of the Travel Trade to not stay in this Hotel and find another alternative. I would even have preferred to stay in a Travelodge as then you know you have value for money.
Yes fine - some people have said the rooms are dated but service good etc etc and that you don't go to Newcastle to stay in but for goodness sake you can go on a City Break nowadays which costs less than this Hotel - It is priced far too highly!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank traveljunky!!!York
Reviewed 23 November 2008

YES the rooms are a little dated and in need of a re-furb but we had an excellent stay. I booked the Moonlight package, available Friday and weekends, and got a room upgrade to a suite on the 11th floor with nice views of the Tyne. The room was fine although the bathroom was small and was more a 3* bathroom than a 4*. The package includes a bottle of Moet with canapees delivered to your room when you want it, 3 course dinner with a bottle of reasonable french wine and breakfast. At a cost of £190/night I thought this was very reasonable, and ideal for a special occassion. The bar and lounge areas have good decor. The car park was a bit cramped and did not have many spaces but you can park in their overflow car park over the street. You need to know Newcastle town centre fairly well to find the hotel, it is in an excellent position for the shops and nightlife whilst being in a quiet position

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobbygold
Reviewed 7 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel having travelled up for the Great North Run in October. After booking the hotel and reading the reviews we were somewhat apprehensive about what to expect. However, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Okay - the hotel decor is a tad old fashioned but it was a great location, clean and the staff were curteous. We had no problems at all. In fact, we certaintly would have no problem in staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank wolsten
Reviewed 16 September 2008

Having read the reviews I was dreading staying at the Vermont but my fears were entirely unfounded. I was travelling with a party of more than 40 and the efficiency of the staff in coping with our arrival, our departure and our needs in between could not have been better. OK, the hotel could do with the windows cleaning, but my bedroom and bathroom were spotless, there was abundant hot water and excellent water-pressure and everyone was as friendly and helpful as they could have been. The location is superb and given that this is an inner-city hotel, I was surprised how quiet my room was. Had I been paying £140 a night for the room I might have felt shortchanged because of the slightly down-at-heel decoration but you don't go to Newcastle upon Tyne to sit in a hotel and the Vermont is a great place to go back to in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Cambridge wanderer
Reviewed 28 August 2008

No way is this a luxury hotel. The whole place needs to be renovated. The room was very small and hot and the tiny plastic electric fan was of little use. The bar outside was noisy. I didn't notice any security outside the bar but I do have to agree (after visiting other cities in the UK) that Newcastle was the rowdiest in terms of drinking. I read that Newcastle has a ban on drinking in the streets and from what the previous reviewer stated, if the City dictates that some pubs and bars require security for customers, I assume it can get pretty bad. The city does have some nice architecture, a mixture of old and new. Didn't spend much time in Newcastle but there weren't a whole lot of child-friendly activities, apart from visiting the Angel of the North in Gateshead. Staff at reception were a bit robotic and the concierge was useless. Not that I expected him to kiss our feet but some basic service would have been nice. Honestly, we couldn't wait to leave. I also don't think that it's appropriate to pre-authorize guests' credit cards. I wouldn't want to be charged for something that is already falling apart. I felt sorry for the reviewer who got charged for breaking the elevator after he got trapped in it! In fact, the elevator wasn't working properly when I was there so I avoided it.. And after reading some of the other reviews, I better check my credit card statement and make sure I haven't been charged for any services I haven't actually used!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family