“Fantastic!”

The Vermont Hotel
Manchester
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 27 March 2009

A Beautiful Hotel in an amazing location, acess to the city centre and the quayside from one hotel. Friendly staff and a lovely large room overlooking the Newcastle Bridges.
Breakfast was relaxed but efficient, and everyone seemed to smile from the moment we arrived. I would certainly recomment this hotel in the future!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Positano
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I stay in this Hotel everytime i'm in Newcastle for business or pleasure. It has a nice quiet atmosphere but is still in the heart of the City.

Great location for Quayside; especially with lift down to the side door.

I was upgraded to a suite when i visited with my girlfriend and she absolutely loved the Hotel and have been back many times.

• Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
County Durham
Reviewed 17 February 2009

My boyfriend took me to the Vermont for Valentines and I was a bit worried after reading some reviews on here but I honestly can't understand why some people had such problems with it.
The concierge was so helpful and nice, as were the reception staff, who allowed us to check in early. Our room wasn't massive but it was clean and tidy and yes, it isn't totally modern but I kind of liked the 'old-fashioned posh' style of it. I felt like I was in a 'proper' hotel.
Breakfast was nice, if not a little bit too fancy (sausages etc 'arranged' on the plate!), and all the staff who served us were really nice and couldn't do enough for us.
We didn't have to check out until 7pm on the Sunday, for no extra charge!!
It isn't cheap and it isn't the most modernly furnished but its smart and has a nice feel to it - we really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — Fabulous service and late check out
  • Disliked — A little bit too pricey
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Darlington
Reviewed 3 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Vermont for new years eve and it was fantastic the staff could not do enough for us they attended to our every need,we even got a free upgrade to a junior suite with bath robes and slippers.The gala dinner was superb great food and entertainment and again in the morning breakfast was spot on and the staff were really friendly and it was new years day!!! and to top it all a early check in and late check out (7.00pm) so we were able to have a relaxing day.We have read other reports about the decor and things being a bit dated,Well not at all Nothing frayed or worn and all done in the best of taste and we found it very relaxing.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
york
Reviewed 20 December 2008

I stayed at the Vermont Hotel for just one night THANK GOD on the 5th dec with my husband. Considering we have two children, one aged 16 months, it is important for us to have a nice time on the rare occasion we get away.
I have been a travel agent for 14 years and have obviously in that time,been to a huge variety of Hotels. I booked this Hotel at short notice through Superbreaks ( 5 days prior to travel ) and paid a whopping £161.00 for the night - for the price of it I assumed I wouldn't even need to look on a review site as surely for that cost it must be stunning - due to the fact it's more than the Malmaison ....... hello?!?!
I got the shock of my life on arrival, I just could not get over the state of the room and the Hotel in general. The only nice bit of it is the Reception and Lobby area. Getting in the lift and walking along the dated dim corridor to my room - I kept dissillusioning myself that the room would be fine. I was absolutely devastated when I walked in - especially when I am more than aware of how hard it is to get your money back once there!
The first thing i did was phone Superbreaks and ask them to arrange our removal from the Hotel without having to pay for the night. The Hotel point blank refused, and advised instead they would show us to another room. This next part is actually comical because they showed us another room........ and another room after that - they were both identical to the one we were in!!!!! I literally could not believe it. At this point we had to be out within 45 minutes for my husbands work Christmas Meal so could not do one thing about moving.
I have since written a complaint to the Operator and am awaiting a response. I absolutely beg you as a member of the Travel Trade to not stay in this Hotel and find another alternative. I would even have preferred to stay in a Travelodge as then you know you have value for money.
Yes fine - some people have said the rooms are dated but service good etc etc and that you don't go to Newcastle to stay in but for goodness sake you can go on a City Break nowadays which costs less than this Hotel - It is priced far too highly!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving!!!!!!
  • Disliked — Getting There!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank traveljunky!!!York
Baildon, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 23 November 2008

YES the rooms are a little dated and in need of a re-furb but we had an excellent stay. I booked the Moonlight package, available Friday and weekends, and got a room upgrade to a suite on the 11th floor with nice views of the Tyne. The room was fine although the bathroom was small and was more a 3* bathroom than a 4*. The package includes a bottle of Moet with canapees delivered to your room when you want it, 3 course dinner with a bottle of reasonable french wine and breakfast. At a cost of £190/night I thought this was very reasonable, and ideal for a special occassion. The bar and lounge areas have good decor. The car park was a bit cramped and did not have many spaces but you can park in their overflow car park over the street. You need to know Newcastle town centre fairly well to find the hotel, it is in an excellent position for the shops and nightlife whilst being in a quiet position

• Liked — position
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobbygold
Manchester
Reviewed 7 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel having travelled up for the Great North Run in October. After booking the hotel and reading the reviews we were somewhat apprehensive about what to expect. However, when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. Okay - the hotel decor is a tad old fashioned but it was a great location, clean and the staff were curteous. We had no problems at all. In fact, we certaintly would have no problem in staying at this hotel again.

Stayed October 2008