“The Best Hotel In Newcastle”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Best Hotel In Newcastle”
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I have been residing at the Copthorne Hotel In Newcastle for the last seven weeks and have to say i find it amazing. everything from the look, the views, the food as well as the staff is second to none. A special mention to ALL of the staff from housekeeping to front of house, the bar and breakfast team, who i believe on numerous occasions have gone out of their way to do above and beyond what has been asked. I have had friends and collegues come to stay on short trips who have mentioned to me they too have had a good experience staying here.

In short... This is thye Only Hotel i would stay at in Newcastle, i urge you to pay it a visit and challenge you to try and prove me wrong :)

Room Tip: The Rooms towards the ends of the Hotel are a little quieter
1 Thank David S
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Many thanks for your positive review from your extensive stay here with us at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle over the past 7 weeks. Your kind feedback is really appreciated by us. Offering great guest service is the cornerstone of the hotel, in line with its prime location, and we could not wish for a better recommendation than that which you have been kind enough to post. Thank you so much.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brentwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I don't know why some people are moaning about this hotel!!! The location is brilliant, walking distance from the station and city centre. Right on the river, with an amazing view of the Tyne from the first floor twin rooms we had. 8 of us stayed here for a birthday weekend and we couldn't fault the hotel, we thought it was lovely for the price we paid and bonus that we got to use the pool and steam too.
Very happy customers, we had a great stay :-)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your positive review, following your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your kind feedback. I'm delighted that you were so pleased with your weekend here, in terms of hotel location, quality of stay and overall value for money, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Many thanks again.
Reviewed 13 October 2012 via mobile

This is a tired hotel that desperately needs a refit, so the chain decided to change the carpets in the rooms!! Interesting, I was put in one of these rooms initially!! I felt sick within 15mins of the stay due to the smell of glue! So my problem with this was how they old sell the room in this kind of state!! I actually thought it was dangerous and a serious health and safety issue.

They did move me, and the staff were very apologetic. But not good enough really!!

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Archybald
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. The hotel is in the midst of an extensive refurbishment programme, including recarpeting of most of the hotel. Every required due diligence measure has been taken with this programme. I am glad that we were able to resolve the matter experienced through moving of rooms at the time, and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We used the Copthorne for one night's stay as we were attending a concert. We booked this as it was convenient for the concert and for Newcastle - we took advantage of a special deal when we booked in June. I didn't receive my booking confirmation straight away, on discovery it turned out my email address had been incorrectly taken down but this wasn't an issue.

Check-in was efficient and easy, secure parking which was great. I agree with some of the comments about this hotel, yes, it does require some refurbishing and general updating in parts BUT our room and the hotel generally was very clean. We did mention to one of the portering staff that there was a musty aroma of smoke in the corridor (being a smoker, even I could smell it!) which does need addressing but I was given the impression that this is something the hotel are already aware of and were going to sort out.

Our room was a lovely size but the bed was tiny for the size of the room but thankfully it was comfy. A five foot bed is too small for two - a king size or even two generous twins would have been welcome! Also the air con needs looking at - our room (and our friends') were a furnace when we got there and took the remainder of the evening just to get it to a bearable temperature. On the plus side, we had the most perfect view of the Tyne and the Newcastle bridges plus the Sage.

Breakfast was lovely, fresh fruit and a very good smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. Another word of advice, Copthorne - tea could do with having more taste, stronger and hotter, I can recommend Ringtons which we use at home!

I would stay here again as staff were helpful, friendly, good breakfasts and was clean.

1 Thank POH71
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, in particular the standard of guest service, cleanliness within the hotel, quality of food and the hotel location. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed 3 nights from Sunday to Wednesday and received the 20% discount on a 'Club' room with inclusive continental breakfast. The view was stunning ( however industrial) overlooking the Tyne and the sun shone in through the bedroom window every morning. The restaurant was OK and the room service meal was lovely as we were too tired to make it out to a restaurant in the centre. All of the staff were friendly and the pool facility which I used on my own at 6.40 am was delightful.
I understand a gradual, unobtrusive make over is being undertaken throughout.

Room Tip: The Club room on the 5th floor is a little higher priced than the standard but well with it.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, in particular the standard of guest service, quality of food, and the hotel location. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Glasgow
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I booked a room at this hotel for a concert we were attending at the Metro Arena. From the outside the hotel looked very promising and it was on the Quayside which was a lovely view.
The reception area and the bar were very nice, the staff were very friendly and quick to check us in.
We were in a twin room on the first floor, a side room not with a direct view of the river. The room was very spacious but sadly lacking in character and a quite dated. There were marks on the wall where things had been removed. The bathroom was also dated but clean.
I had read that the hotel was due to be refurbished however for a 4* hotel I think that it should have been done much sooner.
Firstly we put the TV on but the picture and sound kept disappearing. We tried to listen to some music on the TV too but it kept cutting out so we ended up listening to music on our phones.
Even with the lights on the room was quite dull and we noticed that the lights nearest the door weren't working, where the biggest mirror was. I called down to reception to ask if new bulbs could be fitted and if someone could check the TV and was told of course.
We got ready and left before anyone arrived. Reception gave us great directions to the venue, even telling us where not to go on our way back.
We returned to the hotel about 12.30am to find that no-one had been to fix the lights or the TV.
We decided to go down to the bar as the brochure said it was open till 2am. We got there at 1am and it was closed. As the TV still wasn't working we just went to bed!!
Breakfast tasted great but it was very disorganised. It was very busy when we arrived and everything was running out. There only appeared to be 3 people working and it took 15mins to get a cup of tea. Once the food was eventually replenished it was very good, except for the toast which took ages to cook and came out burnt on one side and half cooked on the other. By the time I waited for this the rest of my food was cold.
All in all not a terrible stay as the concert was fantastic but could have been much better and definitely not 4*.
I paid for this hotel using Avios, which took me forever to collect, however a stay here is not worth the over £200 room rate that was advertised on the wall.

Room Tip: Cook your toast before getting the rest of your breakfast. Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 12 October 2012
Thank you for your comments. Your stay with us has clearly been a mixed one. We are in the midst of an extensive refurbishment project, which will positively impact on a number of areas within the hotel. Constructive feedback duly noted for further review, as our normal standards have not been attained in a couple of service areas mentioned. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2012

Stayed here on business and had a room on the fourth floor overlooking the river - this is such a bonus. Good sized opening window which allows in fresh air.

Staff friendly and welcoming and seem to be interested in you and your journey to the hotel. Very informative about the area and go the extra mile to find information.

Bar staff do not push particular dishes and tend not to offer side dishes so when the meal arrives you run the risk of no vegetables. Good location and good views of the river and bridges. Pleasant walk to the station and the Metro and staff will point you to shortcuts. Overall pleasant stay with staff wanting to make the experience good for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a full view of the river - not a side room.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 11 October 2012
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard of guest service, hotel location and the great view from the bedrooms (100% of our rooms overlook the river). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.