“Needs to be modernised”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Choppington, United Kingdom
“Needs to be modernised”
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

As a travel agent I got an agent rate to stay here and I'm glad I did as I wouldn't pay the full price. I had a standard double room and they are very spacious with lovely views over the river and of the bridges but they desperately need upgrading. One of the plugs in our room was hanging off the wall. The bed looked like it had been broken in the middle there was such a big sag and it did guarantee roll together all night. The toilet seat was not attached properly and there was no toilet brush. When I turned on the shower there was a lot of black water dripping from the taps below which really put me off. We parked the car in the hotel car park which anyone could use but I wasn't expecting to pay for it being a resident of the hotel. It was a reduced rate though of £5 for the whole night. We didn't use any other facilities so I can't comment on anything else. The staff were friendly and efficient on check in and check out. It is a good location for exploring newcastle city centre quayside and also very good if
you're seeing a show at the arena as it is walking distance with a few good restaurants and bars within walking distance also.
The hotel is nice and I would stay again but only with a reduced agent rate unless they did some modernising.

• Stayed October 2012
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Thank you for your constructive comments. The hotel is in the process of being refurbished at present, a process that will take several months for completion.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed here for one night in October 2012 for a business trip. First impressions of the hotel were great. Reception area imacculate and very friendly and helpful girls at the Check-In Desk.
Stayed on a room on the Second floor accessed via the lifts. Stepping into the lift, it seemed that it was a very old lift that perhaps could be done with replacement. Thats just a little thing though. On entering my room I was pleased with how large it was, also the large windows overlooking the great view of the Tyne. The room however big was a little dated. Some of the electronics, ie the TV was like something out of the 1990's. Big boxy black one, which I thought was extinct in chan hotels at least, the kettle also looked like it could be as old as I am (I'm 26!). The air con controls in the room also were very dated, and despite being on the lowest heat setting and highest fan speed setting (I like a cold room) I was still roasting throughout the night, which kept me awake!
On opening the cabinet under the tv I found a sign that said "Dear Guest. For your convenience a bottle opener is located behind the bathroom door!!" And yes there is was attached to the tiles behind the door was a bottle opener. Possibly the strangest place ever ive found a bottle opener!! The bathoom door was also smashed in from one side which was a bit off putting! It would have also been nice to have a heated towel rail in the bathroom. Again little things, but all things that help.
Food was fine, breakfast was really nice. Must say the guys who served our meal to our company in our private Dining room were great. Especially the young guy who said it was his second day on the job. Great work,keep a hold of him! :)
Lastly, there were 3 young men out the river side of the hotel, with a People carrier, with all the doors wide open and blasting happy hardcore music at 12am ! What were they doing there you might ask........oh they were fishing!! They moved on eventually but were there casuing noise for around an hour!! Not something the hotel can control I understand but still a bit offputting should they return haha! Overall though a nice place, if not the top of my list....and I would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard of guest service, size of bedroom and quality of food. We are in the midst of an extensive refurbishment programme at present, part of which is a planned TV replacement to flatscreens throughout the hotel. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2012

We stayed for one night, the hotel is over priced. There was a party on and you could hear the music in our room and you could also hear people talking outside,also you could hear the metro line which stopped late and started up early morning.The room over looked the tyne which the best thing about the hotel.No breakfast included in the price which is disappointing.The hotel position is the best thing about it.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Thank you for your comments. Sorry to learn that your stay was affected by noise from a party within the hotel, which is relatively rare. Breakfast is an option which can be taken at the time of booking or upgraded whilst here.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Nice reception, nice room with lovely view across the Tyne. Lovely comfortable beds cannot complain about the beds in any shape or form. Shame about the tiny bath and furniture and electrics looking likr they could do with an update. A lovely stay in October 2012 but think they need to think about some updates soon,

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard of bedroom, hotel reception and hotel location. We are in the midst of an extensive refurbishment programme at present, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Had room which overlooked river and bridges, check in very polite and fast. Lovely bar comfortable beds great location for sightseeing in Newcastle. Ample parking.lovely river walks with bars and places to eat very close, just a great location to see Newcastle.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paxton7
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the quality of guest service, hotel location, standard of facilities and ample car parking available. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We booked 8 rooms in the hotel for family members and the Function room where we were having a party with about 130 guests. All of the arrangements went very well on the night with 2 exceptions. First there was a problem with the pump for Lager and that could not be fixed on the night.The second problem was that there weren't enough bar staff on duty so that we had long queues of people waiting to be served.To be fair, the Food and Beverages Operations Manager (Keenan) did get more staff in quite quickly but it should have been foreseen.The buffet was very good.We had arranged our own band (which was excellent) and the Disco arranged by the hotel was very good.The location is excellent, breakfast was very good and the rooms with views over the river are fine but now in need of a bit of updating . The children in the group enjoyed the Leisure Pool. All of the staff were very helpful and attentive and did everything to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay and family event held with us, with particular regard to the quality of guest service, standard of food, and hotel location. The issue with the draught availability was unprecedented, and I hope that it did not impact in any negative way on your event. Your feedback is appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2012

It pains me to say it, but on our last visit to this hotel standards had fallen way below those which it once mantained. The riverside location is scenic, but the rooms are now very tired. Ours had a broken lamp, a literally threadbare carpet around the bed and the door onto the balcony had no lock, which definitely compromised security. Added to that, the toilet refused to flush in the middle of the night and there were no towels until we asked for them.

But what really annoyed me was the barkeeper who seemed incapable of pouring a pint of lager and a G&T and finding change tor a ten pound note. He kept calling me "mate" (but not in a friendly way) and had a general air of "can't do" about him. He took 40 minutes to eventually set down a club sandwich, by which time our drinks and patience were both finished and we were ready to walk out.

A long way from the normally excellent Geordie welcome.

We wouldn't weekend there again. I would be embarrassed to send my sales reps there. And if I was running the place I'd have a good hard look at the bar. (TVs everywhere, and all tuned to football -- I kid you not.) To be fair, they do serve a very good breakfast, but it doesn't make up for the general shabbiness and the infuriatingly poor bar service. Why put up with this when there's the terrific Malmaison just along the Quayside? Well, we won't do next time.

Looking at the other review it seems as if the Copthorne is refurbiishing. Well and good, but it would have been a courtesy to tell us that before we parted with our hard-earned cash. You just can't expect to run a business like that and have people love you ...

Room Tip: When booking, ask them if they'e finished refurbishing ther place. They need to close it for a c...