“Armstrong Wedding 20th October 2012”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
newcastle
“Armstrong Wedding 20th October 2012”
Reviewed 14 December 2012

From the moment we walked into the Copthorne we knew this is where we wanted to get married! We had a dedicated Wedding Planner which helped with all the arrangements plus Keenan who was a great help on our special day! We got married in the Cuthbert Suite and had our Reception and Evening Party in the Restaurant which was fab! We opted for a Hot Buffet style reception and everyone loved it, it was such a change from the normal 4 course meal but it went down a treat! I would like to say a big thankyou to everyone at the Copthorne Hotel for making our Wedding Day the best ever!!! All the best from the Armstrong Family!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claggs1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Wow not sure where to start.... Honestly, I might have been able to look past the music that has been keeping me up since 9 p.m (ends somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00 am as the VERY RUDE front desk receptionist informed me---as if I knew when I booked several months ago there would be a big Christmas party on this night) EXCEPT the bed mattress is seriously the WORST mattress I have ever laid on. You are either sleeping with your head completely going downhill or upon rotating it sleeping with a big curve in your back going downhill. So uncomfortable.... Also the lights to the bathroom don't really work well---as in you have to jiggle the light switch just right and they will blink on... I have stayed in $40 rooms better than this one, how sad is that.. So sad that this experience is turing out horrible.

Room Tip: I would Not choose a room here.....
3 Thank Laura A

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I stayed here on business in December when the temperature was below freezing. The heating in my room didn't work and when I reported this they said it was becuase the place was being refurbished so the heating wasn't working at all. They must have known the rooms would be cold but may no attempt to warn of this at booking stage or check in. I asked for a heater which they gave me but made little differennce. They offered me another heater and an extra duvet but they never turned up. In addition the ironing board would not stand up so I had to kneel on the floor to iron and the bathroom smelled like somone had been smoking in it. Spent a very cold and uncomfortable night wearing my fleece in bed. On reporting all this at checkout the receptionist said she took my call about the extra heater and duvet but offered no explanation why they never materialised and no offer to reduce the bill or compensate me in any way. I stay in Newcastle 2 - 3 nights a week on business but won't be staying at the Copthorne again.

2 Thank Issy12
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

A grand old hotel full of character compared to modern flatpack hotels with no soul. It does need a refurbishment without a doubt, but the staff there are first class and ensure that everyone's stay is smooth, nothing is too much trouble for them! I've eaten in the bar every day for the past couple of weeks and the bar staff are very friendly whether it is 12pm or 12am. The reception staff are incredibly welcoming and it's hard not to smile when talking to them - again nothing is ever any trouble for them. As for the staff behind the scenes, after my third week in this hotel I still have no complaints about the food and no complaints about the cleanliness of my room. 5 stars all round, but a few quid from the big cheeses at Head Office would really help to update the decor and improve the impressions given by the bricks and mortar

1 Thank DanDavidson
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

For a one nighter this hotel is ok, a bit pricey for room only. Did not eat in hotel at all walked along the quay and ate out at a more reasonable price. Found the bedroom and ensuite to be rather cold this with the heating on full. Furniture very tired and bed the same, all could do with being renewed. Ensuite adequate but very noisy fan running all night, trains and metro very noisy as hotel between two bridges. Car parking is a bonus given where it is but you do have to pay for this in advance.

Room Tip: Can only comment on Room 202, it looks out over river, noise from bridges but at least you are away...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Wymondham
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Firstly to explain my poor rating. If this hotel was £50 a night it would be ok and I would have given it a 3. But at the price my company paid I could only give it a mark of 2.

I arrived in the midst of a snow storm and after parking in their multi storey car park I took the lift down. They say first impressions count....oh dear. The lift smelt of damp, the walls had cracks and were dirty and the carpet threadbare. Walking into the Hotel I thought it looked lovely...except it was freezing in there! Oh well. Booking in was a chore because at 6.15pm...just when all the businessmen were turning up, there was only one person on reception.

I arrived at my room and my initial impression was one of tiredness. The TV went out with the ark. Seriously! Who uses one of those huge old square TV's now? The room was absolutely freezing, so like other reviews here I put the hot air blower on, only to notice that it was blowing cold air 10 mins later. Luckily there was a small mobile heater in the room that I put on while having a Shower. Again, maintenance was poor as the shower had 2 settings. Boiling and freezing.

It's at this point that I started looking at things, as you do when your initial impression isn't good. The Toilet was too high. I am 6ft, but sitting on it had me on tip toes. The sink is too low, it should be at waist height not near my knees, and it looked like an afterthought bolt on. There was a door leading through to the next room which looked old and flimsy and then the worst thing of all. I called reception and asked how I log on to the internet.

Now call me picky but I stay in £50 rooms with free wifi...infact I stay in £30 rooms with free wifi. So why the hell should I stay in a £120 room and pay £5 to use the internet? This is rediculous!!

After a night out I slept well enough and in the morning the view was nice. This brings me on to the better points. The breakfast was good, views nice and staff welcoming and friendly.

Thats it.

After reading this review my recommendation would be to book the Premier Inn half a mile further up the road and at half the price. Or pay the extra £20 and stay at the Hilton. Don't stay here.

For the owners please read my review. This Hotel could be great but it needs substantial investment and especially maintenance. It looks like a hotel struggling to stay open and the numbers staying there seemed to prove that.

Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed for two nights and the hotel is well located, but the room looks stopped in the last century, with a really slow and expensive internet connection. The good things are the indoor pool with a nice view and the breakfast!

Next time I will look for a better option.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business