“Disappointed”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I have stayed here a few years ago and the standards have really dropped ! There was food left in my fridge from previous guests ! The staff were bordering on rude I had to ask for service at breakfast for my drink despite sitting fir a considerable time , really disappointing glad it was only a business stay !

• Stayed: September 2013
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Sorry to read that your expectations had not been met during your recent stay. Issues with bedroom attention to detail are rare here, with your feedback duly noted. Negative feedback on guest service is extremely rare, with this area normally the key strength of the hotel, as evidenced by the huge volume of positive feedback on tripadvisor on this area.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed for two nights while competing in the Great North Run. They'd really thought through what might make the weekend extra special for the runners. The extra touches (e.g. shuttle bus to the start; runners' menu; complimentary drinks reception after the race) were lovely, but the best part was the genuine warmth and helpfulness of all the staff I encountered. As others have noted, the hotel is a little dated (which is why my rating is currently four rather than five) so I really look forward to the refurbishment. That said, my hotel room was entirely comfortable and the Copthorne is very well located for sightseeing and Newcastle nightlife. This hotel was a late choice for me but has been a revelation in terms of customer service. Next year I'll be booking my GNR stay here early!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay over Great North Run weekend, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service experienced throughout, and the extra touches which were in place for the weekend. Your positive feedback is a great recommendation to other parties who will be choosing their hotel for next year's race, and is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in September 2014.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Reception Staff Rachel and Abbey were first class, Rachel was smiles, friendly, offering to help without being asked, remembering my name. Abbey came in a close second and tied with Carol in Housekeeping who sorted out a minor problem that was not in her area of responsibility -immediately!! The current refurbishment program will take this hotel to standard acceptable to most travelers, My room had been recently upgraded with the exception of the bar fridge and was very comfortable. Good value compared to my other hotel stays in the UK. The GM should be proud that he has staff who care and that is what made my stay memorable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us when visiting the region for the cricket, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service experienced throughout, and the general hotel facilities. Genuine hospitality is the cornerstone of the hotel, and your positive feedback is a great recommendation to other tripadvisor readers and is much appreciated. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again the next time you are in the UK.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

As other travellors have experienced, the first greeting to the hotel is the smelly carpark lift, however, the warm welcome from reception staff removes some trepidation. Location is fantastic and you appreciate the short walk in to town (or should I say toon) and appreciate more when you have had your fill of Chinese food on the way back. There was an excellent communications letter to guests detailling the improvements being made and it is also good to see on Trip Advisor, the Manager taking time out to respond. Did not eat in restaurant but breakfast was good and again service was faultless. More often than not, it is the people that make a hotel, and this one has some excellent staff

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark F
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, in particular the high standards of guest service, the hotel location, and the quality of breakfast. Great hospitality is the cornerstone of the hotel, and it is lovely to read that this has had such a positive impact on your stay. We are in the midst of a lot of refurbishment work at present, with much of this taking place over the next two months. This includes the car park lift which was upgraded last week! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

A friend recommended this hotel and I can't think of any major disappointments having stayed there for 3 nights. Customer service and facilities totally met my expectations based on the price paid. I didn't love the food on the first night so chose to eat elsewhere the rest of my stay. But I used the great advice from staff and the gym facilities to great satisfaction. I'm a fan of the river views from the room too.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Glenn J
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service and the general quality of the hotel facilities. Constructive feedback on dinner duly noted (normally a key strength). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 September 2013

I paid quite a lot of money to stay for 3 nights + breakfast but then you had to pay extra again for an English breakfast. We ate in the hotel every night which also added another £200 and then we had to pay for parking which was a bit of a joke! overall was very disappointed with my stay and very expensive for all that was offered. unfortunately I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie R

Sorry to read that your stay did not meet your personal expectations. In the absence of much detailed information within the review, there is unfortunately not a great deal of feedback upon which I can base a response. From a car parking perspective, every city centre hotel in Newcastle charges for this facility, with ours the cheapest for any comparable hotel at £5.00 per night (some are up to £16 per night).

Reviewed 1 September 2013

It doesn't start well. Of all the things needing sorting the first is the lift from the car park. Tatty and a bit smelly, this should be a priority. Once you are actually in the hotel things get a lot better very quickly. Reception was faultless throughout the stay. The room was large and comfortable. We didn't eat in the hotel, but only because we were too busy. The location is excellent, with doors onto the quayside and views from the room along the Tyne. We used the gym and swimming pool, which were adequate, and briefly tried the steam room which was appropriately steamy. The staff were very good and there were no bad surprises. Even the many Australians staying for the T20 cricket were very pleasant. We got a good deal on the price (Top Secret Hotel), but would not have been upset paying a little bit more.

Room Tip: Rooms upstream are closer to the slightly noisy metro bridge
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard of guest service, bedroom quality, leisure facilities and the strong hotel location on the banks of the River Tyne. Your constructive comment with regard to the car park lift is very well timed, as we have been organising for some time to conduct an upgrading project at the start of September, with works taking place this week. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.