“Location, staff, a great experience.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Copthorne Hotel Newcastle

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Southport, United Kingdom
“Location, staff, a great experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Copthorne is in a great location, close to all the attractions but away from the general Stag and Hen experience. Booked direct for 3 nights and got excellent deal at basically Premier Inn/ Jurys price. Checking in no problems and room with small balcony fine, stunning views of river. Hotel refurbishment well advanced and it shows. The new beds are some of the best we have found anywhere in the world .We did not eat in the hotel so unable to comment on food. Room heating is rather loud, however we had 3 excellent nights sleep with no disturbance. Swimming pool fine ,sauna working steam room and jacuzzi not. Staff all very friendly , will stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cookiecrew5
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the hotel location, and the comfort of the bedroom (all 156 bedrooms have brand new Hypnos beds). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed at the Copthorne in October as it was the venue or a convention which I attended. The hotel staff, from checking in to the bar and restaurant staff, were excellent and to be commended for their friendliness and their attentiveness. The hotel itself is one of the nicest I have stayed in here in the UK. My room had a wonderful view of the Tyne, it was spotlessly clean, comfortable and welcoming, and was serviced daily. I dined in the hotel restaurant each night of my stay, and found the food to be of the highest quality, which my friends and I enjoyed thoroughly. Breakfast was a choice of a wide variety and most enjoyable. As a convention venue the Copthorne is well situated, and is able to accommodate such events with ease. I sincerely hope that the next such event is held here, and I cannot commend and recommend the hotel and its staff highly enough.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank James C
Many thanks for your great review, which is much appreciated by myself and the team. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here for the Dimensions convention, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout, the quality of the hotel food, and the comfort and cleanliness of the bedroom. We are delighted to be hosting next year's event again, and look forward to welcoming you back. Thanks again.
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Having used the Copthorne as the venue for our Wedding last year, my wife and I returned for a 2 day stay to celebrate our first anniversary.
Once again, we didn't encounter any problems from first booking the stay all the way through to checking out, we were met with a polite helpful approach by all members of staff we encountered, even though there was 2 large conferences taking place in the hotel we always felt that the personal touch was always present.
The re-furb which is still on going is making a welcome difference, but for us personally the comments that some previous reviewers have stated about being out dated have never made a difference for us. What we look for in a hotel is customer service and the Copthorne has this is abundance!
Unfortunately we missed Ken during our stay (taking some well deserved annual leave) but his team have done him (and the hotel) proud in his absence.
Checking in was smooth, very quick and efficient with no problems. We had dinner included in our bill and was met in the restaurant with a warm greeting and the steak we both ordered was divine. We wanted a bottle of champagne but the choice on the wine list didn't include our favourite tipple but on checking with the staff they were able to accommodate our request by getting us a bottle of our preferred drink from the bar. On the second evening, my wife enquired if she could have something off the room service menu that wasn't present on the restaurant menu, once again this request was met with no problems at all and shows the staff's eagerness to accommodate any reasonable requests.
Although all the staff went above and beyond for us, special thanks must go to Keenan who was once again an absolutely fantastic host, Nikki on reception who couldn't do enough for us and to Tommy in the restaurant who's sense of humour is immense.
As our Wedding venue, this hotel is always going to be very special to us but my advice is very simple - if you encounter any problems during your stay, speak to a member of staff and if your problem can be rectified I'm pretty sure it will be.
We are already looking forward to spending our next anniversary with you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark H
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Many thanks for your great review, which is much appreciated by myself and the team. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout (in particular in reception and the restaurant), the quality of food, and the calibre of general hotel facilities. We are well underway now with our refurbishment programme, with the next phase to commence early in the New Year. We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next Anniversary, if not sooner! Thanks again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

such a lovely place. a warm welcome. we spent the weekend and had a great stay. the rooms are clean. taking a shower was like having a full body massage. the food was great, the service was prompt. we are planning another visit and will be staying at the copthorne Newcastle again. we normally stay with another hotel chain. but not now. breakfast is served over looking the river. really nice way to start your day. well worth a try.

Room Tip: a room over looking the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank russell h
Many thanks for your great review, which is much appreciated by myself and the team. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout, the quality of the hotel food, and the comfort and cleanliness of the bedroom. We are delighted to have attained your brand loyalty, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I was booked to stay at this hotel whilst I was working in Newcastle. The receptionist was friendly, and allowed me to check-in at about 10.30am, much earlier than the official check-in time.

My room (and I was told all the rooms) had a fantastic view of the quayside. Shame about the scaffolding, but this is obviously temporary. The room was a great size, and felt homely. The bed was comfortable, and the shower worked well. I had no complaints at all with this room.

The breakfast buffet was very good. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use the swimming pool or other facilities at the hotel, but the pool looked nice.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank neilsolaris
Many thanks for your great review, which is much appreciated by myself and the team. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout (in particular at reception), the hotel location, the comfort and quality of the hotel bedroom, and the calibre of the breakfast buffet. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
South East
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here recently for an event. All the staff without exception were very helpful, polite, nothing was to much trouble. The food was well priced and delicious, try the steak! Our room was large clean and bright. Fantastic power shower and very comfortable beds. I will certainly be revisiting this hotel hopefully in the very near future

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank DoubleCSouthEast
Many thanks for your great review, which is much appreciated by myself and the team. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay here, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout, the quality of the hotel food, and the comfort and cleanliness of the bedroom. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

Have stayed here twice now in 2 weeks, the Hotel is located right on the Tyne in the Quayside, 2 min walk from the Sage (amazingly beautiful building).
Inside it is pretty dated & tired, like the bathroom fittings & actual bedrooms. Last week I stayed on the 2nd floor, this week they upgraded me to the 5th which has just undergone a refurb. The steam room was broken apparently it's been out of action for some time.
Bar is nice but quite expensive, restaurant menu looks nice, I decided to order some chicken from there rather than the bar snacks.., sounded way better than what was put in front of me.., Overcooked, overpriced chicken.
Due to your location you are right next to the Metro train track (also some coal freight trains).
None of the rooms are triple glazed so when they start @ 0600, you also start @ 0600 !!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the left hand side of the hotel away from the Trains.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mmrrs
Many thanks for your positive review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your recent stays with us, with your constructive feedback noted for review with my team. Our refurbishment programme is now well underway, with the next phase due to commence early in the New Year. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.