“Birthday Treat - Just OK!!”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Have stayed in Newcastle on several occasions, but this was our first visit to the Millenium Copthorne. The location on the Quayside was nice, but if you fancy a shopping spree, the walk up hill to the town centre was quite taxing. We had read the reviews and understood that the hotel was being refurbished - it certainly does need it. We had upgraded and our room on the 5th floor overlooked the Tyne, it seemed a little tired and the bathroom really did need some TLC. Outside our room the hall was being painted, so care needed to be taken and the smell of fresh paint was quite strong. The staff at reception were very welcoming and pleasant to deal with, we visited the bar and the atmosphere and staff were good. We stayed two nights and slept well, the bed was very comfortable and we found the cleanliness of the room acceptable. Would consider returning when hotel fully refurbishsed.

Room Tip: Up-grade to 5th floor - good view of the Tyne and surrounding area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your constructive review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service experienced and the cleanliness of your bedroom. We are in the midst of a period of extensive refurbishment, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
ken Ellington, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,997)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

When I was a child this hotel was THE place to stay in Newcastle. It is now a bit dated but they are obviously taking steps to revamp it. Our room was large, the bed was comfy and the view was amazing. We had a great night's sleep and the location is still excellent. Maybe not keeping up with the other high end hotels but the price reflects that. We would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the hotel location and the comfort of the bedroom. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for a wedding held in the hotel. At the reception a beer was handed to me in the bottle by the waiter - no glass, would not even expect this in downmarket pub - I prefer to drink from a glass not a dirty beer bottle.
The room was not clean. Don't look under the beds - never cleaned since installed. Kept awake from the early hours by Metro train crossing bridge.
Will not use again.
View over the Tyne was good, in fact the only good thing about this stay

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WILLIAM D
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

It is regrettable that your stay has not met your personal expecations. Your experience is by no means reflective of our normal standards in place here, in particular the standards of cleanliness which are normally a key strength of the hotel, evidenced by the high volume of tripadvisor reviews which comment very positively on this area.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Booked the Copthorne Hotel for a Newcastle stop over for seeing Limp Bizkit at the Newcastle Academy. The perfect location on the quayside, 10 minutes walk from the Academy. Lovely clean, spacious room, polite & helpful staff at the reception & a great bar which we made good use of after a fantastic gig! No complaints & would certainly stay again for our future Newcastle trips.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the 4th floor with great views of the Tyne & Tyne bridge.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standards of cleanliness, the comfort of the bedroom, the great guest service experienced, and the fine view from your bedroom of the Tyne. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated by myself and the team, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last year with my boyfriend and I thought it was lovely. The room was massive and the views looking out into the Tyne are worth the money alone. The bed was extremely comfortable and I had a great night sleep. Staff were very nice and helpful. Even ordered pizza for me to be delivered late at night. The hotel is in perfect location to get everywhere in city centre by walking few minutes. We are going back to newcastle on the 28th feb and will be booking in here as I wont stay anywhere else. Looking forward to returning.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the comfort of the bedroom, the great view of the Tyne and the high standards of guest service experienced. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated by myself and the team, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a room from lastminute.com through the phone for valentine's and asked for river view room. mahmood the operator gave us room 528, very large with big window with river view, cosy room with a very comfortable bed,quiet floor. robes, slipper, great tv channels, water, fridge, 2 complimentary drinks, the hotel is fab. break fast was not the best, toast bread is the only option for bread but it was okay. the only negative was the air condition was so loud.very helpful staffs but overall we had the best valentine's ever in copthorne. we will definitely come back and recommend to family and friends

Room Tip: ask for 5th floor river view, room 528 was excellent!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the size and comfort of the bedroom, the fine view from your bedroom of the Tyne, and the high standard of guest service experienced. Constructive comments r/e: breakfast noted for review. Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated by myself and the team, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

After having stayed at this hotel before and having loved the location right by the quayside overlooking the tyne we decided to make use of the Jan Sale and booked a weeknight Club Room for half price. These rooms are slightly larger, big window overlooking the Tyne, cosy slippers and bathrobe, complimentary water, continental breakfast, 2 free drinks at the bar and wifi (which I couldnt get to work but didn't really mind). And of course you still get the cozy bed, big flat screen telly, mini fridge, writing desk, table and chairs, tea making facilities and a bathroom with shower over the bathtub (sadly not a walk in shower).

The check in was quick and I was made very welcome.I knew the hotel restaurant was currently taking part in restaurant week so I booked a table for me and my fiance during check in, nice and easy.

As I arrived before my fiancé I decided to go for a swim. Last time it was dead but sadly this time it was rather busy due to swim classes but there was enough room for everyone and the view over the Tyne as well as the steam room made me easily spend an hour in the pool area. There was also a sauna which isn't my cuppa but sadly the jacuzzi was shut (unsure if that was because of the swim class or not).

After my fiance arrived we went for our free drinks at the bar, which was nice but a bit too quiet for me, and then went onto our meal at the restaurant. As it was as good as empty we got a table overlooking the river which was nice and our ordered were taken promptly. Here comes the most disappointing part: it took over 45 mins for our mains to arrive and no real reasons were ever given why or if this was normal but the food was nice when it was arrived so we didn't complain. The dessert was also lovely but overall Im not sure we would eat here again as it was just a bit too stiff and slow service for us (we were desperate to go and explore the bars in town!).

After exploring the excellent pubs around the quay side and a great night sleep we headed for our continental breakfast. We were given the option to upgrade to full english for £4 which my partner paid and he seemed happy with the choices available and was stuffed so seemed to be good value. I stuck with the continental option which includes your usual, bread, cheese, ham, jams, yogurts, fruit, cereal etc. The bread choices weren't great (just sliced bread, no buns etc) and neither were the cheese/ham options but it was ok. I instead filled up on fruit and yogurt which was nice. Nothing to complain about since it was included.

So overall, we really enjoyed our stay and for what we paid we really got a fantastic deal. There is things that could be better as mentioned but we still love this hotel and specially the service and the location so we will be back, depending on the price :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the quality and comfort of the bedroom, the fine view from the bedroom of the Tyne, and the great welcome on check-in from the reception team. Constructive feedback r/e: busy nature of the pool and the delay in main course service (very rare) noted for review. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated by myself and the team, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.