“Northern Pride Black Tie Ball”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 29 April 2014

On Easter Saturday Northern Pride held its second Black Tie Ball at the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle situated on Newcastle's Quayside and a short walk from the train station and town centre. 89 Guests sat down to a fabulous meal followed by entertainment from Maggie May and a disco. The staff were brilliant and looked after everyone very well and the food was lovely. We had rooms on the 5th floor which were clean and comfortable with excellent views over the river. On Sunday we had a lovely cooked breakfast in the restaurant over looking the river. The Hotel help make a hugely successful event for our charity

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent charity event held with us over the Easter weekend, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the quality and cleanliness of hotel facilities, the calibre of food, and the ideal hotel location overlooking the River Tyne. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Newcastle

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My train arrived in the late evening and I walked around to the hotel. I'm not sure if there is a walking route that doesn't look dodgy that late, but I ended up calling someone to talk to just to be on the safe side. The route there and the different one I took by the steps back to the station passed construction sites and deserted back streets. So if you're more of the careful type and on your own, perhaps a taxi the short distance?

The room was on the top floor with lovely views over the Tyne, with nice heavy curtains to block out the light from the roofline. The decor works well with nice pictures on the wall. The furniture and linen and toiletries are all nice. It was quite clean, and there were some nice touches - local magazines on the table, tissue box by the bed. Plus there are the usual bits, including iron and fridge.

On the downside, the bathroom is a bit dated and doesn't have an extractor fan. So smells and mist don't go away, but drift into the bedroom. The phones and hair dryer look like from the 70s, and there is the noise of the trains crossing the bridge over the Tyne. I sleep heavily and didn't notice it. Other people may be more sensitive. I wish there had been a clock with a glowing face/numbers to help me know when I can turn over and sleep some more.

The breakfast was a buffet and quiet on a Sunday morning. It was okay food for a buffet with a wide variety. The dining room looks out to the river and is pleasant for a single person.

I'd stay there again, but I'm not sure if I'd walk at night alone again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the standard and cleanliness of the bedroom, and the fine views overlooking the River Tyne, We are very close to the station, which costs £3.00 in a taxi. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night, I was pleased with the service when I arrived and for the duration of my stay.
The room was nice looking out to the river and the park on the opposite site.
Whilst the room itself was clean the bathroom was rather dated but still usable and does not detract from the pleasure of the stay.
The attached carpark was very handy with special rates for those staying at the hotel.
Overall a good hotel with very pleasant staff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service experienced throughout, the quality of bedroom cleanliness, the great views from your bedroom overlooking the River Tyne, and the extensive car parking facilities. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here 1 night and felt very blessed to be given an upgrade. The room was lovely and very comfortable. With a view of the river that I enjoyed very much. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The meal ordered from room service was reasonable and very tasty. I was apprehensive about booking due to previous reviews but the hotel was a great place to stay and I look forward to my next visit very soon.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the quality and comfort of the bedroom, the calibre of food, and the ideal hotel location overlooking the River Tyne. Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I looked around a few hotels for our wedding reception, and immediately fell in love with the Copthorne Hotel after talking to Susi - a wedding organiser provided by the hotel. We had lots of contact with the hotel to ensure everything was planned, ensuring the perfect day - the service we received was fantastic throughout all of our planning!

On the wedding day itself (12th April 2014), everything was perfect! I would not have changed one thing!

We had our wedding meal in the restaurant - (which initially was meant to be a set menu, but they allowed us to have a choice of 3 meals for our guests!) - this was so well organised. I expected there to be a little bit of confusion with dishing out the meals, as someone always says they ordered the wrong food with choice menus! - but it was perfect - they knew exactly where each meal needed to go, and which guest was having which food – and even when my Mother in Law had ‘food envy’ of my husbands pudding, and wished she had ordered something different – they simply changed her pudding for her.

My daughter (14 months old) was beginning to get restless during the meal, as it was a long time sitting – the members of staff were fantastic – they entertained her throughout the afternoon, and even gave her a gift of some chocolate buttons which made her day!

Our evening reception was held in the Cuthbert suite. The staff had 1hour to set up the room with the decorations from the wedding breakfast – the room was set up perfectly. The staff were so attentive during the evening to all of our guests, ensuring everyone was ok. They were very flexible for our planned times for cutting the cake, and first dance, and even catered for last minute changes.

Aside from the wedding breakfast and reception, the scenery was amazing being at the Quayside. We got so many photos with amazing backdrops, and there was an area at the back of the hotel with enough space for all 76 of our guests to be included in a group photo.

The room in which we stayed in was really nice with quayside views. It was very clean and plenty of space to sit and relax.

The morning after our breakfast just completed our experience. The staff set up a separate area, and left a note for all of our guests to join us at a set time for breakfast rather than us all eating at different times in the restaurant. One of our guests children has an egg allergy. The staff were so accommodating to this, and ensured our breakfast area was furthest away from the food to minimise risk to the child. Their was so much choice at breakfast, from cereals, toast, croissants, to a fried breakfast. It was delicious!

All in all, we had a perfect day, and would recommend other people to use the Copthorne Hotel as their venue for their wedding reception. We have already decided that we will be going back on our 1 year anniversary to stay in the same room and have a meal, as their food was simply delicious and very well presented. I have never experienced the fantastic service that we did from staff in any other hotel – they were brilliant. I completely felt that the staff went out of their way to ensure our day went perfectly – not just for my husband and I, but for all of our guests!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent wedding reception held with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout, the quality of hotel facilities, the calibre of food, and the hotel location. Great guest service is the cornerstone of the hotel, and I am so pleased that this has impacted so positively on your special event from the organisation through to the running through to the morning after, Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here with my husband on a Sunday night in October. I have always wanted to stay in this hotel next to the river & it did not disappoint. I loved the room which was all window on the side overlooking the river. What a fabulous view. The location is fantastic.
We used the pool & sauna which were great.
The room and bed were very comfortable & I liked all the different lighting options & the fact that we could open a window! (I hate it in hotels when you can't.)
I have scored it as good value for money as I got a good deal through lastminute but I guess this would vary.However, we had breakfast in the pub next door as it was a third of the price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high quality of hotel facilities, and the ideal location of the hotel overlooking the River Tyne. I'm delighted that your high expectations of the hotel were met, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife & I spent three nights half board in a standard room. A good size room it had plenty of storage space which included a small refrigerator. It also had a desk, table & two chairs. Plus an iron, ironing board, hair dryer & hospitality tray.
Both the room & bathroom were clean & in generally good nick.
The buffet style breakfast had plenty of hot & cold options. They also had a varied menu at the evening meal. Also if it's not on the menu please ask & if we can provided it we will attitude.
I will let you make up your own mind over £40 plus for 6 250cl glasses of unbranded Pinot Grigo.
All the staff we encountered were professional, friendly & helpful.
We did not use the bar. It looked a bit modern & it did not have hand pulled beer. I did not see a drinks price menu displayed. One evening we took a five minute walk westward to the more traditional style Red House.
Wi-Fi. No signal in the room. The room's info pack did say that Wi-Fi in the hotel is chargeable but did not give a price.

Room Tip: It's quietest way from the nearby Metro river bridge.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the comfort and cleanliness of your bedroom, the quality of cuisine, and the high standard of guest service experienced throughout. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.