“Throwback from the 80's”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Throwback from the 80's”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Room was dated with cracked tiles in bathroom , cracked sink, smashed wardrobe door, pelmet missing from curtains. Very dated and shabby
Breakfast was worst I have had the misfortune to sit down too . Cheap rubbish bread for toast , poor selection of pastries and marmalade from a pump dispenser. Really?
Totally overpriced and would never return , whoever awarded 4 stars to this hotel must be deluded .

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Sorry to read that your recent stay had not met your personal expectations, and that you felt the need to rate the hotel at such a level. Your review is by no means reflective of the normal standards in place at this hotel.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Booked a club room through ebookers for fri 18th July for a bargain £69. Website said club room guests receive a voucher for two alcoholic drinks per guest plus breakfast. My friend went the weekend before in a club room and he and his wife only got voucher for 1 drink each and continental breakfast which wasn't stipulated on website. Also said bar snacks available throughout the day but he never saw any.
I emailed hotel for clarification and they said it was two alcoholic drinks per room and traditionally club rooms have had continental breakfast however they would mark us down for a full English breakfast and upgraded us to an executive suite. They stated bar snacks are available, you just have to ask.
W e arrived early for check in which wasn't a problem and the process was fairly straight forward. Overnight parking was £7 which I would have thought would be included in room price.
Room was very large if somewhat dated with 1970's style telephones in evidence though lovely views over the quayside.
We went for our alcoholic drink later in the evening, I had a pint of John Smiths and my wife a glass of rose. I enquired as to bar snacks and was told there was either plain or salt n vinegar crisps available so we had a bag of the latter each.
Good nights sleep, comfy bed though we were very drunk so would have slept anyway.
Breakfast was buffet style, good quality and plentiful though the reception staff still had us down for continental but thankfully relented.
All in all was a nice hotel in great location and would stay again. They do need to update their website though to make more factual.

Room Tip: Wetherspoons virtually next door. Escobar's Brazilian buffet Amen corner gorgeous and reasonable...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lance w
Thank you for your comments, which have been noted.
Glasgow
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here for a night last weekend and it was a good place to stay. The room was quite big and spacious with a decent view over the river.

The place was clean and staff were friendly.

The car park is on site and £7per night.

The gym is tiny and has 4 cardio machines crammed in a small room with no air conditioning or water but it is better than nothing I suppose.

It is about a 15 minute walk to the city up a steep hill which I hadn't realised but it's manageable.

I would consider staying here again if in Newcastle

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cgriff15
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the cleanliness of the hotel, and the great location overlooking the river Tyne. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Booked online and hoped it was going to be easy to get to, but it was in a great location on the quayside with fab views of the river and the bridges. Stayed here last summer for 4 nights and didn't want to leave. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were really nice, lots of space and a comfy bed! Only downside was the Jacuzzi was out of order the whole time, but the pool was good. Can't wait to stay here again :)

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Kat M
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the hotel location overlooking the river Tyne, and the comfort of your bedroom. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Have held three AGM's followed by dinner for a small North East Charity. Function room, meal and overall ambience excellent. Will be back next year. Restaurant has a particularly nice view over the river.

Room Tip: As far as I know, all rooms overlook the river with a lovely view of the bridges.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Billions
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you you are so pleased with your recent events held here at the Copthorne, with particular regard to the standard of the room, the quality of food and the overall ambience (helped through the great views from the hotel over the river Tyne). I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Ripon
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Copthorne hotel for a hen party on 5th July. Hotel was lovely and in a great location. We walked into town most of the time but we did get a taxi once or twice which was reasonably priced at £4/£5. The room was spacious and had a little balcony overlooking the river which was lovely.
When I got home, I realised I had left a top and jacket in the wardrobe by mistake! I rung and spoke to Amy (I think that was her name), she was extremely helpful and my clothes were returned to me in the post free of charge! Thank you!
I would definitely stay at the Copthorne again if I was to visit Newcastle.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachael D
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the hotel location, the spaciousness of your bedroom, and the high standard of guest service. Your lovely feedback in particular regarding Amy on reception is really appreciated, and will make her day I'm sure! I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just hosted our Sixth Form Leavers Prom at the Copthorne on Saturday, was a bit wary at first because it wasn't where the school usually pick but I'm so so so glad we chose differently! We got the Gold Student Graduation package and it well worth the money! £28 per person for everything! Includes Bucks Fizz on arrival, a brilliant DJ, a quality photographer (who's prints aren't extortionately expensive), a 3 course meal and free wine on the tables!
We had our drinks reception in the atrium of the hotel and some beautiful photos on the Quayside because it was a lovely day outside.
The food was brilliant and the hotel was really considerate over dietary requirements so everyone had something to eat that they liked on the night.
The hotel staff were brilliant too, really friendly, hotel manager and food/beverage manager were so lovely on the night, so helpful over everything.
The room was set out exactly the way we wanted it on the night and I honestly have not heard a bad word about the night, brilliant atmosphere and brilliant venue, cannot recommend it enough!
Honestly is the best venue in Newcastle for proms and graduations so I can't imagine it being much different for Weddings etc.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amanda F
Many thanks for your great review, following your recent Prom event which was held here at the Copthorne this past weekend. I'm delighted that you were so pleased with the event, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service throughout, the value for money from the chosen Prom package, the quality of food, and the party atmosphere on the night. On a personal note, it was a pleasure for myself to manage your event on the night. Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated, and I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.