“Excellent weekend break!!”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just back from spending 2 nights in this hotel. This is our 2nd year staying here. What can I say? - Excellent location, rooms clean and spacious and the staff could not do enough for us!! Big thank you to Ken and Janice for making our stay very welcoming! I've just booked up again next year and my friends are doing the same! Well done Copthorne Hotel Newcastle!!! I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The majority of rooms have a stunning river view!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent weekend break with us, with particular regard to the hotel location, the spaciousness and comfort of your bedroom, and the high standard of guest service. Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.
Ken Ellington, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,052)

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We all booked into the Copthorne for a hen party, there was a big group of us and the staff were more than accommodating.
We were checked in promptly, the rooms were perfect for what we needed, great location for all the bars and restaurants.
The bar staff were friendly, if you're there and see Samuel, he is a very good member of staff. Really good customer service.
I'd recommend this hotel and would consider booking again if I visit newcastle in the future.
Had a perfect weekend.

Stayed: August 2014
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the quality of your bedroom and the hotel location. Your recommendation of the hotel to other tripadvisor readers is greatly appreciated, and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel is in a great location and rooms were really clean, but in general the hotel seems really tired and in need of a good refurb. The dining room was the worst with dirty chipped walls which in my opinion was enough to put myself and partner off booking a meal in here, reception just seemed dark. On the plus the staff were really pleasant and helpful, easy to park, great early check in. we booked through agoda and got a great rate on a club room, so for what we paid were quite happy, but if we had paid full rate this may not have been the case. Would use again but would like to see some improvement on interior.

Room Tip: Club room on 5th floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your positive review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay overall, and have noted your constructive feedback for review with my team. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Chose a club room, was probably just say worth the extra £. Didnt get a newspaper. Had a nice view of the tyne river, a table with two comfy chairs although one was wobbly. Bed comfy although it did get warm during the night even though it was a relatively cool day. Room has a fridge (always a plua) & all the usual amenities. Breakfast was okay next morning although the staff seem a tad disinterested. Coffee I was given was stone cold, set up is nice in that you are literally sat on the quayside itself. Hotel bar okay but a poor choice of draught & very pricey.

These are just minor niggles, overall its a good hotel with plenty of charachter, front desk staff very pleasant & polite as were the maids. Would stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: August 2014
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Your constructive feedback has been noted for review with my management team. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay overall, and hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 28th July for a night after food and drinks in town. Got a great deal with triavgo and while it's bit the most modern hotel in Newcastle. Its clean comfortable and the staff are lovely. Got a standard 3 rd floor room with an amazing view of the view through floor to ceiling windows. In fact we got a club suite last time and I preferred this room. Decent sleep in nice big clean bed it's all you need really. Will definitely be back tho only if I could get another good deal

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Andrea2270
Ken E, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, and the cleanliness and comfort of the hotel. I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We had a nice relaxing stay at the Copthorne. The hotel could be doing with a little updating, but it is very clean.

Staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was very nice.

The location is great. Right on the riverside with restaurants and bars at the quayside, and only a short walk (up the hill) into town.

The club rooms all have a view across the Tyne. I would recommend getting one as it wasn't much more to upgrade, and you get free wifi, free breakfast, and a drink at the bar so definitely worth it.

Room Tip: The club rooms are a little extra but all have a view over the river, they offer free breakfast, fre...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael M

Many thanks for your great review. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of guest service, the cleanliness of the hotel, and the great location overlooking the river Tyne. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Room was dated with cracked tiles in bathroom , cracked sink, smashed wardrobe door, pelmet missing from curtains. Very dated and shabby
Breakfast was worst I have had the misfortune to sit down too . Cheap rubbish bread for toast , poor selection of pastries and marmalade from a pump dispenser. Really?
Totally overpriced and would never return , whoever awarded 4 stars to this hotel must be deluded .

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Sorry to read that your recent stay had not met your personal expectations, and that you felt the need to rate the hotel at such a level. Your review is by no means reflective of the normal standards in place at this hotel.