“Absolutely fine but maybe a little tired”

Copthorne Hotel Newcastle
London
“Absolutely fine but maybe a little tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2009

I probably wouldn't expect so much but this place is £2 over our standard hotel room price limit (so yes I paid £2 of my own money to stay here). The location is fine with nice enough views of the famous river & bridges. The noise from the adjacent rail bridge was minimal. The room was huge - another place would have shoved in a small sofa and called it a suite. The room service jacket potato arrived with the cheese but without the requested coleslaw (no apology offered).
I was a bit disappointed with the leisure facilities - the pool was ok but small, deserted, and I can see it seemed like a good idea to have it at ground level next to the river but in fact it just made it slightly creepy with the dark figures occasionally passing the dark (and dirty) windows. The jacuzzi was defunct and the steam room smelled funny. But otherwise an uneventful and adequate stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kh8081

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

I stayed at the Copthorne hotel in January 2009 for business in room 205. Having read reviews on here for the hotel it was not my first choice but as others were fully booked up I decided to try this one. The hotel is well located on the quay front, near the bridges and virtually across the water from the Hilton. The lobby is large and quite impressive with a cosy fireplace for guests to sit at. The check in was quick and the staff friendly. The hotel had a special meal deal on where you got a two-course dinner with free glass of wine for £10. I had this and it was very nice. Portions may be a bit on the small side for some, but it was nicely presented and tasty. The restaurant overlooks the quay and it was disappointing that the staff would only allow half of the tables by the window to be used and the other half with the view lay empty. The staff member didn’t really know why they couldn’t be used and I got seated in the balcony area well away from all the views.

The room was medium sized and clean with nice views over the quay. It was adequate in that it has most of what you need but does fall short of the luxury hotel 4* rating. It is quite dated in terms of the clashing décor patterns where nothing matches. Pelmets, curtains, carpet and wallpaper. However the bedding had been updated, and a new set of curtains and some better quality furniture definitely wouldn’t go amiss. It had an armchair missing by the window and the pencil to write with was broken. The last hotel I stayed in same star rating had a plasma TV on the wall, double luxury shower, free bottled water, and music speakers in bathroom etc. Sadly the Copthorne does seem to be cutting corners on the little touches, which you come to expect in higher starred hotels. They have tea-making facilities but provide no complimentary biscuits. The staff said they have now stopped doing that. I am well travelled and this is the first time I have ever seen this. The area itself was quiet however there is a train, which runs along a bridge near the hotel, and you can hear it rumble by. I didn’t really notice it that much as I had a broken extractor in the small and dated bathroom which was v noisy. The reception had no one there to fix it and no spare rooms to move me to. So a staff member came and stuffed it with tablecloths/tea towels, which helped to muffle the rumbling. However I was disappointed to be given a room like this when our organisation does use this hotel chain quite a bit. As clearly this was not checked out by staff prior to allocation.

I had breakfast in my room and it was very nice and substantial.

The town centre was a 10-minute walk up a fairly steep hill, which takes you into all the main shopping areas and is not far from the station. So the location was good for seeing the main parts of Newcastle.

• Liked — Waterfront location
  • Disliked — bathroom decor/noise and cost cutting
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank wundatours
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 22 January 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2009

Well I don't know what the rest of the reviewers are talking about, I stayed here on a Saturday night and thought the hotel was just lovely. We arrived at 8am with fingers crossed for an earlier check in and we weren't dissapointed. The gentleman at the desk was very helpful in finding us a room available and also gave us vouchers for a full breakfast for the Saturday and Sunday morning down from £15.95 to £9.95 with the voucher. We went for breakfast that morning and it was very nice and fresh and eggs cooked to order.

I will admit that the bed was slightly small (a queen for two people to share) but the comfort of it definitely outweighed the size, we had some lovely naps and a great 10 hours sleep on the Saturday night. The view from the hotel room is just beautiful, asked for a room on the third or fourth floor.

We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday night and the food was lovely, both got the satay chicken (wouldn't recommend it, very dry). For mains I got the salmon which was very nice and my friend got the lamb which she loved. Make sure to keep space for desert, we shared the sticky toffee pudding and it was just gorgeous. The dinner is £10 for starter, mains and a glass of wine but they do charge for soft drinks, chips and water.

We were not flying till late the next night so after checking out we were able to leave our bags in the hotel and go out exploring for the day, on our return to the hotel we had lovely cooked ham salad sandwiches and tea by the fire in reception which topped off a lovely weekend in Newcastle.

The staff couldn't have done any more and were extremely helpful when we asked them for anything.

We will definitely be returning to the lovely city of Newcastle possibly in the summer and we will be staying in this hotel when we do.

• Liked — The bed was so comfy
  • Disliked — I actually can't think of anything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank fanDublin
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

With best regards

P.A to General Manager
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

We stayed in this hotel now for the fourth time and it will certainly be the last.
The first twice we had a good enough experience but in September 2009 we had a very unpleasant weekend. They decided to revamp the bar area and the noise of hammering from the builders was unacceptable from very early on Sunday morning. This was bad enough but when we arrived for our breakfast there were no glasses for the fruit juices there were no sausages there was no bacon there was no scrambled egg. The staff were totally useless and ignored requests from the ever increasuing queue building up at the buffet. We abandoned any attempt to get fed and headed down the market along the river front and had fabulous bacon baps. We complained and were offered a free upgrade. We returned to give the place another chance. What a mistake. The so called superior rooms seemed exactly the same as the standard rooms except they were grubbier. Mould forming around the grout in the tiles around the bath, the shower tap was virtually impossible to turn on or off. We queued for thirty five minutes to get served at the bar. No it wasnt busy. The problem was created by totally incompetent and untrained staff. There were three of them. The two girls were doing their best but the youg bloke seemed to have the knack of messing up everything he touched and the girls time were spent clearing up his mistakes. When we did eventually get served the measures of beer were short and when I commented I was told that the keg had run out??? If I hadnt paid at this stage I would have bluntly refused to do so. No effort was made to make it right. I reckon the 3 pints would have been approx 10% short. I voted with my feet as theres no point in complaining NOBODY IS LISTENING. It was interesting to listen to other guests comments. they echoed our experience exactly. If you liked this place you have not been too well travelled
Grubby - untrained staff - very poor service. Newcastle has better to offer. At around £500 for 3 people 2 nights B&B take my advice and just go somewhere else.
This is my personal experience. We didnt even bother to comment in case we ended up getting an offer that might persuade us to return. NEVER AGAIN. This is a pity as it would take very little to make the changes that would have an immediate positive effect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank BigJohnDeere

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

My partner and I stayed at the Copthorne last night, what a terrible hotel. They should have at least 2 stars removed from their classification.

The room was dated and in need of renovation including damaged furniture / woodwork and discoloured / dirty grouting between the bathroom tiling.

The shabbiest part of the hotel is the fitness suite. The changing rooms were a disgrace, there were locker doors missing and hanging off, the door frames were actually rotting and parts missing.

The pool was also out of action because of excess chlorine in the water.

I think we paid around £75 for the room B&B, the lobby price quoted at reception was well over £200. We were unhappy about paying £75, I would have been livid if I had paid the full price!

Honestly, there are many similar priced hotels near to the Copthorne, choose one of those!

• Liked — toast for breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anonymoooose
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2008

I am a regular business traveller to Newcastle. This hotel had a great location on the Quayside for the summer but has always disappointed me for the money paid. The rooms are tired and generally have sealed windows (except top floor) causing total reliance on a/c in a city that doesn't need it. However they are large as are the bathrooms. The bar is OK for a drink and bar meals. Breakfasts are good. Working out how to use the LAN connection takes a few minutes (wire behind TV not the socket marked modem!). It it could escape the 80s design this would be super. As it is the faded looks lets it down in terms of value for money.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Dated room interiors
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank SJS15
CopthorneNewcastle, P.A. to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Newcastle, responded to this review, 3 December 2008
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay. It is through comments such as yours that we are able to constantly review our hotel and make improvements to the structure, amenities and the service offered.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Copthorne Hotel Newcastle.
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2008

Hotel is 10 mins walk from central station down a steep hillside walk. Nice enough fairly modern right on river and all rooms have a view. Small pool. Quite impressive lobby with lots of glass and comfy sofas although this was overtaken by weddings on both days we were there at the weekend so very busy.

We booked a standard room and only got a small double bed so bit cramped thought for the price they would at least provide queens. Newcastle is not a cheap place to visit at the weekend but still thought this hotel was on the high side for what it offered.

Bathroom had a good shower over bath but was otherwise small and light not great.

I have eaten breakfast here before during business stay and it was terrible no flavour poor service. Expensive £15.75 although when i enquired during this stay was offered a voucher for £11.75 which is a small saving. Nice breakfast room again overlooking river. Saturday we decided to try the pub next door but one which opens 10am so ideal after a weekend lie in and for £12 total for 2 people we had a wonderful tasty breakfast and 2 coffees each in nice historic building.

Overall hotel average just for money but location good and 5 mins walk from the action of quayside. Hotel was also wedding central when we were there so noisy late at night.

• Liked — Location and close to railway
  • Disliked — Not great value for money and noisy saturday night
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple