“Good hotel in Jesmond”

Caledonian Hotel Newcastle
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good hotel in Jesmond”
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We stayed here as part of a large group for a stag weekend in November 2011. We found the hotel to be of a generally high quality and if anything, better than expected!

Being a stag group they asked us to provide 1) a deposit of £25 per person and 2) sign a waiver form, with the money returned at the end of our stay. Our rooms were ready for us on arrival, and they were all furnished to a reasonable standard. Two of our group rooms had problems - one had a broken bed, and another had a leak from the ceiling during the night. The hotel acted quickly to sort these problems out for us, which was good. My room was relatively large, though I think a few of the others found their rooms a little smaller, but all were a decent size for a quick overnight stay. See photos for more information.

All the public areas, corridors and rooms were reasonably modern in their decor, and rooms included towels, tea/coffee, toiletries etc. There is free wifi throughout the hotel which was easy to use, and a nice extra. We didn't use the restaurant but we did make use of the bar, which was well stocked. There were a few parts of the reception area to sit and enjoy a drink, which was good.

All the hotel staff, from reception to the night security staff, were friendly and helpful. This is an area that people come for wild nights out, but despite the drunkeness the atmosphere in the hotel was friendly and reflected people enjoying themselves.

If I was returning to Newcastle for a night out, I'd definitely consider this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank so3003

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Manchester
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Stayed here for three weeks on business and really did enjoy my stay. The hotel was a little dated but none the less clean and comfortable. Was given a nice suite with a large bathroom and four poster bed. Hotel food was good and the atmosphere in the adjoining bar was great. Staff were always very helpful, as i was working late's they arranged for housekeeping to clean my room last thing to let me have a lie in. The hotel car park was perhaps a little small and there is literally nowhere that isn't permit parking in Jesmond if it is full.

It's location was great, convienient for Jesmonds local amenities, has a new Waitrose just across the road. Can get a little noisy but fortunately Jesmond's bars shut shortly after 11.00pm. Don't worry if thats what your there for as it is only a short cab ride into Newcastle City Centre.

A little tip, if your ever getting the late night munchies the 24hr Mistletoe Bakery is 5 mins walk away definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lurcherlad
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I stayed here Saturday 12th November for one night. I choice an executive room, and we werent disappointed. The room was large. The bathroom was equally spacious. Breakfast was a help yourself. I can honestly say it was one of the nicest full english breakfasts ive ever had! Staff were friendly. Little bit of noise during thenight by some drunken hen party who could not get into one of their rooms. But its Jesmond in Newcastle, so drunken people expected everywhere! Very clean. We have booked up to stay again next year, as we will be in Newcastle for a couple of days and there was a special offer on, 2 night bed breakfast and evening meals both nights for 2 people was £169. Very resonable considering it was £104 for one night with just breakfast! Would definately recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Get an executive room if you want more space. It was worth the extra £10
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ange_boro9
dumbarton
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We have not stayed here three times, we tried two other hotels but this was the best.
Friendly efficient reception. Good rates. Very good breakfast. The rooms were a bit tired looking but very comfortable, which for us is the main thing, it was also nice and big. This is a really good area of Newcastle to stay in, lovely for walks but also near shops, supermarket, restaurants, cafe's etc. and importantly not too far from the Metro.
We look forward to visiting it again in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank andreaargyll
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We use this hotel regularly when visiting our children who are Uni students living in West Jesmond. We have tried a lot of the local hotels and find this the best. Have stayed 4 or 5 times. It's always warm, friendly, comfortable, and despite being on Osborne Road, the double glazing is effective in keeping outside noise out. Trouble is, like any hotel in Newcastle, you will sometimes hear party-goers coming in on the corridor sometimes in the early hours. We tend to go for executive room upgrade as a treat for ourselves. Beds always very comfortable. Bathroom spacious. Restaurant adequate. There's also a pizza express about 200yards away. If you're visiting children who are students locally, they allow you to pay a small sum to bring your guest into breakfast, and this always seems to go down well with our children !.

Room Tip: top floor quietest
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank DamLou
Newark, Notts
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed in the Caledonian for one week as I was on business in Jesmond. The check in was quick and smooth. I arrived around 10.30pm but this was not a problem and the whole check in took less than two minutes. My room was only a very short walk from the reception on the ground floor which was nice, given I had a large case with me.

The room was a very good size with a large double bed, desk area, fridge and a large wardrobe. Their was ample drawer space and a nice large mirror hanging on the wall. The bathroom was also very good with a superb power shower and heated towel rail. The tea and coffee facilities are also a welcome bonus.

The bed was very comfy, compared with another review on here, but this is personal choice.

The breakfast was superb in the morning with a lot of choice. Cereals, cooked breakfast, continental breakfast and other special requests from the kitchen are just a small sample of what is available. I found the restaurant to be very pleasant in the evening serving very good quality food. I would particularly recommend the lasagne and the rib-eye steak. The restaurant also has a 2 course for £15 option and 3 courses for £17 which represents excellent value for money and this menu also changes nightly which is quite rare for a set menu to change.

The bar offered good deals on drinks with happy hour between 7-9 Sunday-Thursday and 9-11 Friday and Saturday. Stella 4 is £2.20 a pint all day every day if this is your drink of choice. Their is also one hand pump in the bar, serving Jarrow Ale whilst I was there. The bar food was also of good quality and represented good value for money.

I never experienced any problems with loud and drunken behaviour around the hotel during my stay. The room was quiet and the temperature was fine, not too hot as mentioned in other reviews.

All in all, I had a great stay and would stay at the Caledonian again in the future.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben P
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Me and my 8 mates stayed here on the wknd (29-10-11). When we arrived we was too early for check in so waited in the hotel bar. With sky sports and a pool table we was happy to do so. Check in was easy enough and quick with the staff very helpful and efficient. Rooms were fine; clean, tidy, good shower etc. Food is a bit pricey but it's decent enough for 9 lads on a birthday night out who just want to get something quick. You'll need a taxi to get into the city centre but that's easy as they're all parked outside the hotel! The only issue we had was around 7-8 am there was an awful 'sucking/gargling' noise coming from the bath/sink. It woke me and my 2 friends up as it was very loud!! I've no idea what this was but it was very annoying as I had a 4 hour drive back and needed sleep!! All in all this is a great hotel for lads/girl groups who want a reasonably priced base. I would definitely stay again!!

• Stayed October 2011