All reviews billabong bar peel hotel executive room osborne road city centre on arrival afternoon tea crisps buffet breakfast hen party an upgrade metro station beans the great north run one night stay jesmond wedding
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Three of us were visiting Newcastle for a funeral and stayed at the Caledonian for one night. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel considering the price. Our room at the front was spacious and clean and as it was a Wednesday night no noise at all from outside. The decor is a bit tired and the check carpet the worst I have every seen. Whatever were they thinking when they laid this. However, the staff were lovely and friendly and the breakfast fresh and tasty. Will definitely stay again when in Newcastle

Room tip: Apparently rooms at the back are less noisy but not a problem midweek when the students are on holiday
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for two nights in the hotel with my two year old son,
The staff were absolutely fabulous from reception to the restaurant and bar and even the very helpful and friendly maintenance men,
Even the housekeeper was polite and helpful!
The food in the restaurant breakfast lunch and dinner were spot on and everybody was very accommodating to my very picky two year old.
Our room was beautifully decorated and had all the little extras that make your stay all that bit more special.
The only reason I haven't given four stars is that during our stay there was quite a few stag and hen partys staying and a wedding on so a little bit more noise than there should have been but overall was a very enjoyable stay!

Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 772jemmas
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Do not visit this hotel at the weekends if hen or stag parties are booked in. The noise they create is dreadful paying no concern to other guests. The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast. That is really very good but do book it prior to the morning. It will cost you £5.00 more if you don't.
The carpet in my room was enough to give me nightmares. I called it Joseph, yes so many colours. In fact the whole room was tired, more tired than me even after being woken up at 2.30am. There was filth around the window frames, single glazed which allows noise from the hotel bars opposite and they get wet through as one cannot open them because of the noise. Everything except the reception area and the restaurant need refurbishing, apart from the staff they were very good. I seriously doubt if I would ever book here again. In fact I think I would avoid the whole of the Osborne Road Hotels. I was very disappointed.

Room tip: I feel the rooms at the rear of the hotel would be better, quieter that is.
1  Thank JohnA1943
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Excellent very clean, lovely food, very friendly and helpful staff. Nothing was too much trouble. A big thank you for sorting out my electric toothbrush. I read previous reviews that commented on the multicoloured carpet in the bedroom. I actually liked it. I think cleanliness is far more important than decor. The Caledonian Hotel was spotlessly clean. I understand the rooms over the bar could be noisy but our room was fine. It was convenient for the metro, close to shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Quite spacious room with double bed. Toilet seat broken, torn chair seat and torn curtain. Room was directly above music and bar area. Noise was absolutely unacceptable. Terrible noise until the music stopped. Complained to hotel manager the next morning and she was very understanding, apologetic and happy to compensate.
Meal at restaurant was fabulous and service great.
Difficult to get large luggage into room. No ramp for luggage.

Room tip: Ask for a quiet room
1  Thank CyndySue18