“Absolutly Fantastic”

Caledonian Hotel Newcastle
scarborough
“Absolutly Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

I stayed in one of there brand new rooms and it was the most comfortable stay, i came with my partner to do some xmas shopping and was very impressed with the hotel staff as i have ever being here before and the girl on reception was very helpful on how to get there and where to go, There hotel bar was very lively on a weekend and offered good discounts to residents, and on our 2nd night we had a meal in the bistro with a nice atmosphere and would definatly reccomend it and we got 25% off our food bill which we didnt know about so that was good.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2009

We travelled to Newcastle for a week end with Family and to do some shopping in the area. Plenty of shops in town and in shopping centre at Gateshead Metro centre.
The room was really nice, reasonable size for the amount of time we were in the room.
The staff were helpful and resolved a small problem quickly.
The bed was comfortable and that is a big plus, nice white bedding and towels provided.
The room was clean and although we did hear some party animals return in the early hours they did not really disturb us.
The street that the hotel is on is really a hot spot for the young and even the young at heart. All with outside seating and heaters, our hotel had amazing heat lamps that were quite spectacular to see at the entrance to the Billabong.
The hotel has undergone refurbishments and the staff informed us this was an ongoing project. It has been well done so far with plush carpets, and some amazing rooms on second floor that we passed as we were leaving. It is a hidden gem and not what I expected from some of the previous reviews, they must have been hard to please, some people just moan for the sake of moaning.
We departed happy customers

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
ellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2009

Stayed at the Caledonian in Jesmond again for the Great North Run week end and found it as usual to be a first class well run city hotel
we had a great meal in the bistro with a buzzing busy atmosphere on the Saturday and stayed in one of the newly appointed rooms which was very nice
Sunday morning we had B/F in the large room down the other end of the hotel which was great because so many people came down at once we would not have been able to eat and get to the race on time if the seating was not there
all in all a good time thanks

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

Office booked me to this Hotel and without checking here first so I was more than a little worried about what exactly they'd got me into! Turned out to be one of the best trips I've had in a long time.

I assume the refurb complete as the whole place seemed really nice (photos on here and even their own web site don't do it justice). If previous reviews to be believed they must have refurb'd the staff to as all I met were relaxed, friendly, polite and helpful (even though I live it London!!).

Easy drive in from the motorway, parked for free, checked in by helpful people and within minutes of arriving was sitting in very comfortable and attractive room. Went out to eat with clients but Bilabong bar very good, cheap compared to 'southern' prices and most UK hotel bars I've stayed in recently. Also taxi rank just over the road so really simple to get into the city centre in minutes. Got back form working dinner and went back to the bar, great atmosphere and again staff friendly.

Breakfast was to good! Every option available and lots of it so felt it rude not to try almost everything. Set me up perfectly for the return trip.

Check out simple and quick. No room check or deposit return required which confused me on other reviews! I assume this is for big groups of people who visit Newcastle for Hen or Stag do's and a percentage of which trash the place / disturb other guests. I'm glad they take a deposit as it seems to work, the hotel is lovely and all the other guests I met seemed very happy.

Never tried a Peel Hotel before will keep my eye open for them after this.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Isleworth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Ive stayed at the Caledonian hotel in the past and had a good stay then so thought I would return as I was doing the great north run, Again I had a lovely time the room was nice had a great meal in the bistro with excellant service it was really busy yet we were well looked after by the waiting staff who were really friendly so thankyou to them all especially Laura our waitress.
Morning of run Breakfast was in the Avon suite which was good as everyone came down together there was no wait for a table or queing at the buffet I assume thats why they held breakfast down here because they were thinking of the number of guest wanting to eat at the same time, on my last stay it was in the bistro which I think its where it is normally served. I look forward to my return to Newcastle I will stay again.

Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here the night before the Great North Run. It's a great hotel. We'll stay again. I don't understand some of the horrible kind of comments? I can only assume it's going through a refurb and some rooms aren't as nice as others?

The only challenge we had was that I always ask for a quiet room away from roads, lifts etc as I'm a light sleeper and lots of rest before the race was important. When we got there we had been allocated a room next to the lift? I queried this at reception and one girl was great and sorted it out, (though another chipped in and said we can't move any rooms as we are full .... so this report could have been very different as her customer service skills were very lacking. She showed no empathy whatsoever. i don't care if you are full. I'm not giving you a new request, I asked for this months ago when I booked and at £130 a night I expect better).

Breakfast was available from 6.30am which was good for the race. The breakfast room is a strange choice as they have a lovely restaurant? Why they don't use that for breakfast I'm not sure. They could have done a bit more to make it better for runners. Full English at just under a tenner isn't what you want before a half marathon. They were also suggestting there was no compromise on price though we later spotted a continental option? The funny thing was that all the staff seemed a bit stressed out by the fact they were full? It would have been really nice to see them embrace it. It's not a problem? I would hope you want to be full? Some real customer service skills training for the entire hotel team would be a great thing to do. Don't get me wrong. they weren't rude. They just didn't have a mindset that they were there to serve you as a paying guest.

The room was lovely.

East Kilbride
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2009

I was in Newcastle for the Great North Run, and stayed at the Caledonian Hotel. We stayed three nights from Friday 18th September, only room left was the Jesmond Suite, in which we paid 145 per night.

The staff and service was good, however the room, although a very good size was dirty, and not satisfactory at all. The jets in the bath, were dirty and although desperate to soak my aching limbs, would only use the shower. The paintwork around the bath was rotten.

The food in the restaurant was of excellent service, just a shame the room let us down, would not stay here again.