“Lovely hotel, wonderful stay”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is a great hotel that is close to the riverfront, Newcastle stadium, and lots of nice restaurants, pubs, and clubs. Other reviewers have mentioned that it can be noisy at night. My room was situated at the front of the hotel, furthest from the train station. I could definitely hear the lively folks below going in and out of clubs/pubs, but this is to be expected as Newcastle is known for being pretty active at night. The front desk staff were lovely and the Kit-Kat on my pillow was a very fun touch. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 5 August 2012

I attended my sisters wedding here yesterday in the collingwood suite, it was anamazing day. staff were excellent nothing too much trouble, meal was excellent. we booked a room as part of the wedding party and due to having a new baby the normal double room wasnt going to be big enough and we were offered a upgrade to a superior double room room 241. absolutley excellent room very very spacious. with bathrobes and slippers and juice water and chocolates, absolutley amazing also full bathroom with bath and shower. would definitley recommend this hotel for wedding or for a stay over, also a big thanks you to Oliver in reception who dealt with our room booking, you made everything very easy and simple for us and our baby.

Room Tip: rooms on front do get noise from local night life until early hours but this is to be expected due t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a (well behaved!) large group on a weekend away. The hotel itself has its quirks (huge, labyrinthine old building - very easy to get lost!) and I would agree with some comments of other travellers such as the rooms being very warm due to lack of aircon, the early morning noise from the adjacent station. However, all staff that we dealt with were very welcoming, friendly and helpful and should be commended. We had to move rooms as our door would not lock properly, but the room swap was managed very quickly and efficiently. Spacious room, good shower and decent breakfast. The fact that I managed to snaffle one of the free parking spaces right outside the hotel was a huge bonus! Ideally located for a night away to sample what Newcastle City Centre has to offer, so perfect for our purposes as a group, although would perhaps not recommend for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This hotel building is one of the traditional railway hotels - built to impress, with stone and marble and sweeping staircases. It overlooks the station and on the other side, a busy main road.

Staff were very friendly hand helpful. The food in the restaurant is fine (but its not fine dining). The public areas seemed to be well maintained, with new carpets and paintwork.

I stayed on the top floor, in a room with some nice touches (complementary water, juice, chocolate bar). Free wifi (hurrah!)

However squeaky floorboards, noisy bathroom extractor fan and a window that would not open (and missing secondary glazing) meant that I didn't get a good night's rest at all. Noise from outside the hotel, and a warm room does not lead to a good night's sleep.

No radio (other than via the TV), no iron (and the desk struggled to find me one), but a bonus of the previous inhabitant's dirty underwear behind the bathroom door.

SO - a plea to the management to continue the investment in this wonderful old building, and to the housekeeping team to keep up standards.

Room Tip: Quiz the reception staff on the exact position of your room and the level of sound insulation.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We booked our wedding at this hotel and they were faultless from first meeting Tracy was Superb. Every detail was spot on. When it came to the Big day Stephen was in Charge and What a Excellent job he done everything from us arriving to the food was exactly as it should have been our 67 guests agreed they were faultless. Then onto evening Reception again perfect 100 guest buffet was lovely and more than enough to go around Disco supplied by hotel was also great. Then our stay at the hotel that night what an amazing suit. We had a great room was like a small apartment so comfy and we were at the front of the hotel and could not hear a thing outside. So a very big thank you to all the staff involved in our special day you were all amazing. Everything thing was perfect.

Thank you.

Would Recommend the Victoria Suite for any Wedding Venue.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Never judge a book by its cover! might look beautiful on the outside & in the hallway, but we must have had the smallest room I have ever slept in in any hotel (even budget hotel rooms have been bigger!!I) I have ever stayed in! majorly overpriced & not even breakfast included! had no sleep due to noise from train station & drunk guests nxt to my room! there is NO air con & window would NOT stay open so had to wedge it open with a book in the room!
check out may be 12 but dont expect a long lie due to the noise from the cleaners being woken up at about 7am cleaning empty rooms & playing music from the guest tvs!
I wish I had'nt paid on arrival because no way would I have been paying full price for such a poor hotel & tiny room!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank broxibird
Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

Wish I had read some of the reviews before booking but hey ho.

Echo all the statements re grandeur in the lobby and indeed my room was lovely (executive) classic styling good size bathroom decent toiletries.
Then I got into bed (on a Wednesday night) and the noise from the venue next door went on until 1.30 and it was loud live music !

• Stayed: August 2011