“Grand old lady of a hotel still has it!!”

Royal Station Hotel
“Grand old lady of a hotel still has it!!”
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner have just returned from an overnight stay at the royal station hotel in newcastle and would be happy to return, when looking for a hotel in newcastle we had specific requirements including city centre location and a swimming pool, with not a great deal of choice of hotels fulfilling these needs we decided to book the royal but we were a little apprehensive as it looked like a very old hotel and we usually go for something more modern, we travelled by train and the hotel location was excellent, on arrival we were very impressed by the grand entrance and amazing chandelier that welcomes you, we both commented how you feel like you have gone back in time and submerged into the grand and ellaborate Victorian era which made a nice change from the cold sharp lines of some new hotels, reception staff were friendly and the room was clean and comfortable, the only downside was the room being very warm with no air con and the old sash windows cannot be openend so it did get very warm during the night, the leisure facilities were very nice with an amazingly warm jacuzzi and the staff again were very friendly, to our surprise this old lady of a hotel is a great place to stay and we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Went up for a one night stay for the Auf Wiedersehen Pet 30th Anniversary Special and friends booked Royal Station Hotel

Couldn't have asked for more.

Reception staff were friendly

Literally situated a 30 second walk off the train station itself and easy walk to the town centre, quayside and bars. For those travelling by train there is a room that you can leave your bags if you arrive early or are catching trains later than checkout

Beds comfortable and had a sound nights sleep

Free wifi was available although kept cutting out and had to log in a few times while we were there

Recommended

Room Tip: Rooms facing the town centre (i.e away from train station) are quiet - as seen minor complaints on n...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The location could not be beat--you walk out of the train station and into the back door of the hotel. So the location was perfect for a home base. However, the hotel room was pretty awful. It was clean, but the double bed was barely that and the mattress and pillows were horribly uncomfortable. Our room also faced the main road and being there on a weekend, the partiers were out until 4 AM and definitely, the room was not soundproofed. Inf act, we had trouble keeping the window shut! It was ancient and kept moving open. The bathroom was adequate and clean. Ironically, this hotel provided free juices, water, and kitKat bars each day--perhaps that money is better spent on the beds!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Selby
Reviewed 21 September 2013

A beautiful old hotel with a very grand entrance.

The staff were very polite and helpful. We had 2 nights for my "special" birthday, but booked a room only deal, so can't comment on the breakfast.

The room was lovely, was at the back of the hotel so overlooked the railway station. I read the reviews about noise levels from the trains before I booked and it didn't put me off at all. A station hotel, overlooking a station? Never! What do you expect? There was always going to be some noise from the trains, but to be honest I never really noticed.

All in all, a lovely hotel, excellent service for what we used, beautiful, clean room and right next to the station, in the centre of town, so very accessible. Couldn't ask for anything else.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
KENDAL
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel looks very grand from the outside and when you walk in too, it has 2 nice big chandeliers from the ceiling but that is all that is nice about this hotel.
The room was very small and very very hot! It has no air con, the double bed is not a proper bed, it was so uncomfortable, didn't get hardly any sleep, we was in room 124 and so every time someone went through a corridor door it banged shut very loud. The room wasn't that clean too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kittykat10
Manchester
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Another short business trip to Newcastle!, The hotel as a pool and spa I think and I did not eat here so will not comment on these facilities) I selected the hotel hoping for four things, 1, Value for money, 2. Location (proximity to working venue), 3, access to usual working professionals needs, ie bit of space, WiFi, desk area to work, decent shower, comfortable bed., and 4. On Site parking. Overall I felt slightly disappointed, and subsequently this would not be first choice for another visit. the hotel is a very old hotel and its easy to see and be reminded of its former glory, I reckon this would of been an impressive venue in its day, unfortunately that is not the case today. the old girl is looking tired, and in some parts of the hotel just plain drab, and down-beaten. The staff are generally typical Geordies, bright, cheerful, warm, friendly and very helpful. So no issues there at all. My Room was somewhat strange, 4th floor facing the main road and station approach. Noise levels were surpirisingly high, I found getting to sleep very difficult, I understand that Monday nights are Student Night and as freshers is well underway here (Big University Town) there was plenty of adventures happening out on the street, However it gets tiresome after 02:00 and it actually I was waken up each night be street noise (must be said this is the TOON!!). generally this would not normally bother me but I was surprised by the extent and the volume of the noise. I am unsure if there are any rooms at the back of the hotel but potential train noise would of been a welcome change., Room had a sloping aspect (clearly attic style room) but the configuration of the furniture and window meant natural light was not in abundance, additionally room lighting was poor, (dim) at 55 years old I do not have the best of sight and some light is important to me, This was not helped by the absence of a light bulb from one of the lamps, (I found the bulb (broken glass) in the corner by the radiator where it remained for my three day stay. (to be fair to the hotel it was not easily seen, and I did not mention this to staff - I am quite sure they would of sorted this) but is an indicator of the lack of detail paid when cleaning. There was some onsite Parking but this is sporadic at best and commonly getting out of your park space when you need to is not possible. However the railway station car park is in very close proximity and I assume you can use this?. The bed was definitely uncomfortable but not being an expert here could not say why, it felt weak and cheap. I do not commonly get up in the morning with back aches however I did here, The bathroom was fine and spacious, the shower perfectly functional. A really positive aspect of the stay is the inclusion of a small fridge in the room stocked with a couple of bottles of water, and kit kats and milk sachets. Even better they were complimentary!. I thought that a nice touch the fridge was used every evening to stock my own drinks, very useful. The work area was small but just about functional and the room was spacious enough for the inclusion of a small round table, I actually chose to use this and although it sounds strange I used the ironing board as part of my work area. This meant I got enough working space but could configure the room to make use of the light from the window and also face the TV cabinet. All told it did the job for three days but only just. I would not of stayed in this particular room if I needed to visit for more than this short stay. Access to WiFi was not working during my stay so I used my own personal Mobile WiFi, (again I did not report this to staff) All told the hotel provided me with a usable room for a three day stay but did not really deliver on the four important aspects for me. Yes reasonable value for money, great location for my business needs. However it has not done enough to ensure i would be guaranteed to re-book for my next trip on the toon and is not being competitive enough for traveling professionals. final summary, could do a lot better...

Room Tip: Might be worth a rear room to reduce street noise, also attic rooms (fourth floor) have poor lightin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

The difference at this hotel is the helpfulness and friendliness of the staff. Local knowledge such a bonus. Real ale lovers should try the Crown Posada pub (sounds new but is oldest in Newcastle) 1 min walk. A gem.

• Stayed September 2013