“Good location but a bit dated”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed here during a mid-week business trip to Newcastle. Location is great and obviously very near to the train station (hence the hotel name). Inside it is clearly and old and established hotel and the lobby etc is Rey much in the tradition of old grand hotels. The room I stayed in was very very small (a small double) and subsequently a bit too hot for me but despite this it was quite a nice room and had almost everything I wanted. It had an iron but no ironing board which was a bit frustrating as I tried to iron a shirt on the laminated pine effect chest of drawers. I actually think that this not only annoying but a bit of a fire risk as I am sure the furniture was not designed to have a hot iron on it. There was room for an ironing board so not sure why they didn't supply one. Had a good nights sleep despite overlooking the station - couldn't hear trains so that was good. Recommended for anyone staying in the area but do check out what size of room you want.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Barry A
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Many thanks for you comments. Our location is a huge attraction for many of our guests so I am pleased to hear this was of convenience to you. Our small doubles are recommended for one adult, an alternative to single rooms with single beds the small double gives you that little bit more space and comfort. The majority of our rooms do have ironing boards, so I do apologise that this was not available to you, our reception and housekeeping staff do their best to ensure that guests have all the appropriate amenities so please in the future do inform us if there is anything else that you need and we will provide it as efficiently as possible. I hope you will return to see us again.

There are newer reviews for Royal Station Hotel

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Room not ready on arrival so put bags in our friends single room. When we returned to collect our bags and go to our room we were shocked at the state of our room. The room was £126.00 and was as small as the single room. The lighting was very poor, one of the single beds had a stained cover on it and certainly not worth the money. When we went to complain we were told there was nothing that could be done because the hotel was full and was offered a free breakfast, which we refused, we certainly not happy. The member of staff took my contact details and said the manager would ring me after 3pm the next day, surprise surprise this didn't happen.
The shower was cold to start with, only had one glass in the bathroom.
The single beds were really small and very uncomfortable as were the pillows, there was only one spare pillow which was also hard and uncomfortable.
The window also kept rattleing and we had to open it so far to stop it. Never got much sleep at all.
The next morning one of our party went to try and get coffee but was told to go back after breakfast at 10am when we went back we were informed we still couldn't get anything because they were now getting the bar ready for lunch and they also had a wedding going in. When we asked if there was anywhere else in the hotel we could get coffee we were told no.
I or the rest of my party do not think it was worth the price we paid and would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank youngann
Reviewed 29 October 2013

A lot of our friends were staying at the Hotel in October for a party. One of the rooms was flooded and the staff at reception could not have done more to rectify the situation. Our friend who was left roomless was offered a room at another hotel or a bed in our massive room at our request. Within 10 minutes a comfortable bed had been made up in our room. They brought wine and nibbles to our room most unexpectedly to apologise. They could not have been more helpful- that would NEVER happen in London. Great service, clean rooms, lovely spa. Overall great stay-thank you.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.

We do aim to achieve the very highest levels of customer service here at the Royal Station Hotel and I am delighted that we succeeded in achieving this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle!

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were looking for something central and this is right by the train station and nicely located to explore the city. The staff were really friendly and helpful, helping us find a cafe we were after for lunch. We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and bathroom, spacious and comfy! We didn't have time to hit the pool but hopefully next time. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms on the front face the street - could be noisy at night, and rooms at the back face the train s...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for sharing your positive experience with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that our staff were so helpful. Please do take the opportunity to use the leisure facilities next time you stay, it is very popular with our regular guests and a great way to relax. We look forward to seeing you next time!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed here for three nights for a combined trip with work the day before, then seeing friends and family the weekend afterwards.

From the outside, this looked like quite an old-style hotel, but I was pleasantly surprised how pleasant it was inside. The reception and public areas were a little small and check-in took a while, but once in my room I was very happy. It was well-sized for the price I paid, really comfortable and nice to have a full-size bath to relax in after a busy day. Complimentary drinks and snacks in the fridge, which were refilled each day, was a really nice touch.

The on-site gym and pool were simple, but nice to have. The hotel was brilliantly located right next to the main train station, a very short walk to the main shopping area (and bars for a night out) and it was a short way to the river for a nice walk.

Overall, this was great value, I loved Newcastle and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2013

You would imagine that this hotel is fairly sophisticated. It's not.

I stayed for a single night in mid-October 2013 and am seriously disappointed, esp. given the fact that this was not a cheap or budget hotel.

I would rather have stayed in an Isis or budget hotel, in comparison to this!

When I went to check in to my room at about 3pm, there was dirty laundry left on the floor in the corridor, leading up to my room. Is this is a hotel or a dormitory?

The floor boards above my room creaked, so when the guest above me woke up at 6am and started making business calls as he paced around his room, I was woken up by creaks and the man's loud voice, as clearly the floors are as thin as paper.

Of course this is a station hotel, but if you expect to sleep well, think again. If your room faces onto Newcastle Train Station, which mine did, you will be kept awake or woken up by the amplified P.A. system from the train station as trains information is read out.

The bathroom was so small, I could barely get to the toilette and move around in the bathroom — literally. The room itself was also very, very small, but more acceptably so.

I arrived five minutes late for breakfast, and was told by a waitress that it was impossible to go and get me even some food, as the breakfast trays had just been taken downstairs! Normally, staff would go and put together a plate for you, so that, having paid £15 for breakfast, and having missed the breakfast buffet window by just a few minutes, you wouldn't go hungry. This is what customer service is about.

The receptionists were grumpy and impolite, even the assistant manager herself behaved in a nonchalant and unfriendly way. I expect to pay for people's politeness, care and attention, not people's grumpiness and processing of me like I was one of a million. Isn't this what hotels are about?

Room Tip: • If you have to stay at this hotel, choose a big room (not a simple double). • Get breakfast from...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Royal Station Hotel. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay or the experience the hotel provides.

With regards to laundry being on your bedroom corridor, this was due to rooms being serviced for existing and newly arriving guests. Laundry is collected continuously throughout the day as the room attendants get each room serviced.

The hotel is a listed building and dates back over 100 years therefore there are elements with regards to noise that unfortunately are due to the age of the building as well as its location (being adjacent to the train station). We are at present in discussions with the local authorities to gain permissions for secondary glazing, as the building is grade 1 & 2 listed this is an issue for us.

All of our bedrooms are different, none are the same because of the age and design of the building. Perhaps I could suggest that on arriving at your bedroom you may have asked Reception for a move to another bedroom that was more to your liking.

With regards to breakfast we do offer this over / during certain times which do differ from week days to weekends. Should you be running late we do offer Continental breakfast which can be taken in the bedrooms. This could have been made available on request.

I can assure you that all our staff pride themselves on the level of customer service we offer.

Once again, many thanks for informing ourselves of your comments.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed at the Royal Station Hotel for one night only but I had a great experience here. The hotel is situated really close to the train station. The hotel is a gorgeous building and inside is no different. There's a beautiful big staircase and magnificent chandelier to gaze at in the reception area too. The staff at reception were really friendly and welcoming and were more than happy to help when I asked for directions. The room I was in was just a standard double but it was huge! The bed was nice and comfortable, there was a full length mirror, hairdryer and a safe in the wardrobe too. The bathroom was also nice and spacious and spotless. I can't comment on the restaurant or the leisure facilities as I didn't use either. I couldn't have asked for a better stay at this hotel though. I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Newcastle!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo