“Great place for city break!!!”

Royal Station Hotel
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place for city break!!!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Stayed here on the weekend of the 8th November 2013 for 2 nights!
The reception is so very grand and beautiful , reception staff were very helpfull and friendly and check in was quick and easy! luggage was taken to both our rooms by a very helpfull man who also helped us with citycentre hotspots to visit!
4 of us stayed in two separate superior double rooms, both were very clean and spacious, bathroom was great and shower's very powerful and the complimentary fridge was great and very welcome after travelling for 5 hours!!
we visited the leisure facilities which were great and very relaxing, staff very helpful!
we later ate in the hotel restaurant which... delicious food! great drinks and service was great too!
We also had a lovely breakfast on both days with lots to choose from !
On our final day checkout was 11am , our train did not leave until 4pm that day ,we were offered the facilities of the luggage room to leave our bags until later that day !
All round a fabulous grand hotel and enjoyed our stay very much ( will be visiting again)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I reserved a room at The Royal Station Hotel via booking.com as a friend recommended the hotel. This was for the weekend of 16th November 2013 for 3 nights. It has a great location and everything is within walking distance.
2 days before checking in I rang the hotel and requested a room high up and also to make sure that there was a safe where I could store my valuables. I called and said that it would be an after 10 PM check-in and I didn't want to be stuck down somewhere in the basement or close to the entrance as this is happened to me before with a different hotel. I was told that this wouldn't be a problem. Upon checking I was given room 109 and it was truly awful. The room was above a restaurant/club??? and all I could hear was the thumping of loud music. Also the requested safe was not there. I contacted reception and there were no available spare rooms. During my 3 night visit I declined housekeeping on the Saturday however my room was never cleaned during my entire stay, despite complaining at reception. In addition to the noise from the club you could hear the toilet flushing, the shower and people talking from the room next door. In addition to the lack of service, the bad room, there was an additional issue where the ring-fenced funds upon check-in were only available in my account 2 days after I’d paid for the room. If you’re on a stag weekend where you’re happy with only a few hours sleep a day - go for it. If you want a quality visit - don’t do it.
I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone. There are far better alternatives in the neighbouring streets.

Room Tip: Avoid low floors
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Ridgeback68
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied during your stay with us, We have a passion for delivering excellent customer service which we regularly receive feedback about and can be seen from previous reviews.
Regarding the issues with housekeeping we service every room daily unless the guest requests for it not to be cleaned or do not disturb signs are displayed on the door.
Room requests are subject to availability and we can not always guarantee them although we do try our best to do so. The room you stayed in was a superior executive room, an upgraded room from what you had originally booked with booking.com, being a city centre hotel noise is somewhat unavoidable especially over the weekend so I'm sorry to hear that this affected your visit.
Thank you for your comments and I do hope that you will choose to stay with us next time you visit Newcastle. Please contact our hotel team direct who will help to tailor your stay to best meet your needs.
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in an October for a weekend away in the city of Newcastle! Hotel was adequate and in my opinion at the time it suited the needs and was to a standard of cleanliness I felt comfortable with. The bed was comfy and big! We only had a standard room but it was fine for the night. I did not eat in the hotel so I can't comment but overall I found the hotel reasonably good although some staff looked a bit fed-up and could put a smile on their face! Hotel ideally located not far from the shops, restaurants and nightlife! Would have no issue about staying again however the one thing that did concern me at the time and thinking back now it's quite annoying - the housekeeping staff (although they work hard and credit where it's due) they are very pushy about getting into your room to service it when you're departing, we hadn't even passed our departure time for the room and the lady was hammering at the door and she was quite rude when we told her we were not leaving until we were meant to as we still needed showers and to dry hair etc. I know this is only a minor thing but quite annoying and you feel like you're being rushed out once they have your money and your stay is almost over!

• Stayed October 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Looks fabulous from outside and on entering inside fantastic staircase, chandeliers are amazing, restaurant looked lovely and swimming pool and Jacuzzi were great facilities!

Although on arrival the male staff member who checked us in was very miserable and not friendly at all, no customer service skills what so ever and didn't crack a smile or say enjoy your stay or any of the usual pleasantries etc! After this we headed off to our room which was on the other side of the hotel, the walk felt like miles away, in actual fact it was that far away from the reception the 'free' WiFi would not connect! Then on entering the room all looked ok until we got into bathroom and all tiles around shower and bath were dirty and mouldy, shower screen splashed with water marks and what was supposed to be a double bed was two singles pushed together, which infuriated us as the stay was for our 6th year anniversary a romantic night away to relax. The stay and room was certainly not worth the £80 I paid to stay for 1 night and it was £98 if booking through the hotel direct! Complete disgrace for such a central hotel which looks fabulous from outside and in main entrance! A very disappointed couple just looking to relax with romance

1 Thank Kayleigh12013
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Hi Kayleigh many thanks for your review. I am disappointed to hear that your stay was not all you hoped it to be. If we had been notified of the problems you experienced whilst you were here, the manager on duty would have been more than happy to assist in finding a room more suitable for you and your partner especially with it being a special occasion.
We would be delighted if you would return to stay again so we can rectify the issues and make your visit a memorable one.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

3* hotel with decor that's a bit tired and dated in places. The room, on the whole, was clean and adequate and the shower was powerful. The room had the usual amenities. However, one of the chairs looked like someone had vomited on it at some time and should have been removed from the room and properly cleaned-disgusting! The Leisure Centre is out of the hotel and a few metres away. The pool is smallish but adequate but unfortunately had a protective grill missing on the floor of the pool which could result in a nasty injury if not noticed as the hole was large enough for an adult's foot to fall in let alone a child's and needs urgent attention and a warning sign. With no-one in the pool it was easily visible and the attendants must be aware, difficult for swimmers to see when the pool is in use though.
Some of the rooms are a long walk from the lifts, and up & down unavoidable flights of stairs, which were really difficult to contend with with heavy luggage. No bellboys to help and the reception staff were not the most friendly either but I suppose it's a 3* .
It's location was convenient but wouldn't hurry back unless we got a cheap deal as it was expensive for the standard.

Room Tip: So many stairs in places,discuss your needs!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi there, many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.
We are expecting to make refurbishments to the hotel in the near future, modernising the appearance. The distance to some rooms is unavoidable due to the size and the age of the building, in future you can request a room closer to the lift or on a particular floor upon booking to make it more convenient for you.
I can assure you that we are extremely conscious when it comes to health and safety within the hotel and leisure club, we do also have porters available on request to help with transporting luggage to rooms.
We offer many competitive rates on our website and would be more than happy to help choose a room more suitable for yourself when we welcome you back in the future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for a girlie wkd absolutely great staff friendly efficient, couldn't do enough for you fantastic location, heart of everything! Really really lovely building and suburb stay carnt wait to rebook thank you !!

• Stayed November 2013
many thanks for your glowing review, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, with particular regard to the high standard of customer service throughout, the hotel location and the general hotel facilities. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed at the royal station for 4 nights with my elderly mother, xmas shopping found the hotel to be comfortable & staff very helpful. Only thing I could fault the bathroom was a little cold for us but the main bedroom was warm enough, this would not put me off staying here again infact I am thinking of booking for the New Year

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hi, many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, I am very pleased to hear that you and your mother were well looked after. We would love for you to re-book and join us to celebrate New Year, if you wish to do so just call Tracy or Sarah directly on 0191 2606303 and they will be able to help you. thanks again