“great location”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If your travelling by train then its great off the train and straight into the hotel were the staff are excellent 1st room we got was on 4th floor and was too hot but staff were great and moved us to another room. Considering its next to train station it is very quiet. And if you've been Newcastle before then you know the nightlife is great and basically on the doorstep.

Room Tip: Top of hotel was very warm.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Our staff provide nothing but first class customer service and are always happy to help wherever possible, I will be sure to pass on your comments to staff on duty at the time of your stay, I'm sure they will be delighted to hear what a pleasant experience you had.

Being extremely close to transport links is always an advantage and we are literally a stone's throw away from Newcastle Central Station.

Thank you again for your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal Station Hotel in the future

Kindest Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,938)

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Was wary because some reviews here are so negative, but it's absolutely fine. Very nice decor, spacious rooms. Noisy? Yes; it's at the train station! Still, all you hear is the odd rumble from a train, and it didn't stop me sleeping. Some people moaned about the mini bar not having much in it, but I was happy with free juice and mineral water, and several KitKats. Bathroom really lovely, good toiletries. My only tiny issue was that I always had to queue at the front desk, but I guess my visits must have coinced with busy times. It's hardly their fault. Will definitely go back.

Dear reviewer,

Can I firstly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and you were able to take advantage of the complimentary mini bar and toiletries.

Our housekeeping staff work hard to maintain spotlessly clean rooms and public areas, so it is good to hear that this has not gone unnoticed, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to them.

I am sorry to hear that you experienced a wait at the reception desk, we are an extremely busy hotel operating at full capacity the majority of the week, I am confident that the reception staff would have aimed to make sure you were seen to as soon as possible.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Very surprised to see negative reports on this hotel as it certainly was not the findings of our group of four who stayed one night in mid June 2014.From the minute we arrived it was a pleasure to stay. Lovely rooms,spotlessly clean facilities,super breakfast and very helpful and attentive staff.We had travelled by train and found the hotel well positioned for visiting the City Centre and will certainly stay at the Royal Station Hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Room on 4th floor stiflingly hot to the extent I had to take two cool showers through the night. Can't open tiny window due to noise from railway station. Was given a fan after complaining, which did nothing to help. Did change rooms after two nights from hell to much better room but was amazed to be told the staff are aware of the problem yet nothing is done about it???
Housekeeping staff all converge around lifts on floor 4 in morning and stare at you which is quite intimidating, no smiles or 'good morning.' if not there, they'll be smoking outside the back of the hotel. Very professional!
Reception staff on the whole are sullen faced and not particularly welcoming apart from lovely deputy manager.
I had no idea there was a pool I could use until I read Tripadvisor today.
Don't expect any help with your bags from the night porter, no matter what time you arrive, you'll be left to struggle through narrow doorways and up and
down stairs.
I complained and was issued a £25 refund from a £340 bill with special rates on my next stay.
Next stay???? I don't think so!!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dibbit
Reviewed 26 June 2014

9/07/2014 Stayed Here twice ,first time on the front of the building and it was horrendous for the the two nights we stayed ,did book three nights but cancelled the last one due to being that knakered we opted for a different hotel.
The lady on reception told us that the back is better ,so we took a bet and tried for the next week ,well it isn't that much different apart from it being red hot and a lot poorer rooms .
If your a contractor expect to be treated completely different from people with suits on and to be looked down on .
Rooms were tidy enough though and if you have any problems see the staff out the back near the car park barrier ,easy to spot look for the clouds of cigarette smoke .

Room Tip: Ask for ear plugs and one on the back
1  Thank Karl M
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Karl,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was disappointed to learn that you were disturbed by noise during your stay. Being located in the heart of the city, we recognise that street noise can prove to be a nuisance if you are not accustomed to it.

I can assure you that the staff at the hotel treat all guests equally and we have never received a complaint regarding this matter previously, we have contractors staying with us every week who are more than happy with the service provided.

We do have smoking areas available for the staff however these areas are separate from the guest smoking areas.

Once again many thanks fro your feedback, we do hope that you will return to visit us in the future

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I'm writing this review as a reaction to their poor service. I've just arrived from a long journey and reached my room - a fair way from the reception - and ordered a meal and drink via room service only to be told that I needed to come down to the reception to pay by credit card - not having sufficient cash to pay. I gave up in the end and went out to eat. Not good.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us.

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our room service.

Guests are given the option on check-in to leave credit on their room at reception in case of any extras such as room service.

I do hope you will return to visit us in the future so that we are able to rectify the problems you experienced

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This place stayed 2 nights, right at the station, and near taxi stand. A place to stay dispute the locale, it has history, great ambiance, rooms are good, good price too. There are plenty of restaurants, all within walking distance. Can recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feed back with us regarding your stay.

Our central location is one of the main attractions for our guests.

I am pleased to hear that you would recommend us to others and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future