“Great welcome to NCL”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely stay for me and my 2 young children at the Royal Station Hotel. We had a lovely swim before heading to the quayside for tea and had a good night's sleep in our comfy bed. Very good value for a sunday night stay, will come again.

1  Thank kb2408
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2014

Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here from Friday-Monday as we were down for the weekend for a friends 21st birthday. Honestly don't know why people complain about this place. Great location as there are so many places to eat, drink and go clubbing nearby. Also very handy for us as we travelled by train so literally stepped off into our hotel. We used the train one day to go to the metro centre which was fantastic! The staff could not have been more helpful! The cleaner provided us with more than what we needed and continued to top up our fridge! Can't believe how much we got for free. We had never really stayed anywhere in the UK like this before so it was a treat! We even ordered room service one morning which was lovely! The hotel itself is very grand and Victorian. Extremely clean from what we could see and can't really complain about anything. Would definitely come back to stay on our next visit!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cdavers

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay.

We are extremely pleased you enjoyed your visit.

Our staff pride themselves on offering and providing the very best of customer service.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Stayed here 1 night on a business trip

Travelled by train so found the hotel in a ideal location. Loads of restaurants and bars within 5 mins of walking.

Hotel staff very friendly, breakfast was excellent.

Room was very spacious with a large bathroom, leisure facilities very good

I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Room 217 was a very good room
1  Thank Craig M

Dear Guest

Many thanks for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay at the Royal Station Hotel.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is very grand in typical old fashioned railway station fashion, and outstanding value for city centre mid week (£53 + £7.50 for a good breakfast). Location is very convenient for all Newcastle central amenities.
Only potential downside was my room - as nice as it was, had a window which looked out into a bricked up void space, which looked like it had last been whitewashed in about 1962. Very scruffy indeed ! It didn't really matter to me as I was only staying one night and only literally showered and slept in the room, however I can imagine it being a major issue for some.

Room Tip: There can be noise issues at the front side of the hotel from noisy party-goers at weekend or from t...
1  Thank Malcolm M
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hi Malcolm,

Many thanks for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

We offer very competitive rates especially through the week so I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of this.

I am sorry to hear that the view from your hotel room was not satisfactory, I only wish you had informed reception of this issue and they would been more than happy to move you to a more suitable room with a view.

On your return please call the hotel directly prior to arrival and we will ensure that you do not experience the same problem.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Kind Regards

Reviewed 6 August 2014

All the staff very friendly indeed, especially the cleaner, she was lovely. Front of house staff always willing to help. Room perhaps a tad bit hot with the recent weather, but nothing a fan didn't solve. Good location next door to the train station. Room very clean and nice big bathroom (superior double). Would stay again.

2  Thank Tim H
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your fantastic review of the Royal Station Hotel, it is always lovely to hear that we made a lasting impression.

The front of house staff deliver first class customer service, they will be very happy to hear that this has not go unnoticed,

We really look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit

Kind Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for my boyfriends birthday and it was the best hotel I've ever stayed in! I had been in contact with the receptionist Susan about somebody arranging a birthday cake to be bought and brought up to the room and as we arrived they did just that! I think it was the manager who brought it up and sang happy birthday and also had two cheesecakes on the plate from the chef. The room was big (we stayed in a double superior) we paid £95 for one night. The bathroom was pristine and the room was perfect. The lobby has this amazing chandelier and looks beautiful. Its right next to the station and close to all bars and restaurants. Had no problem with noise and the temperature of the room was fine (I don't understand the negative reviews!) I guess some of the rooms are different. Would definitely stay here again without a doubt!!

2  Thank Nikkala01
pudley234, Manager at Royal Station Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the hotel.

I am very pleased to see that we lived up to your expectations, I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Susan, she will be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

The staff at the hotel love making a fuss over guests, certainly on special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries.

We are very happy that you will be returning to visit in the future, and look forward to welcoming you back

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here between 2nd to the 5th of August. The location is great and is in the centre of the city with great access to shops and the train station.
We arrived very early in the morning of our arrival date, our room wasn't ready which was fair enough as it was being used the night before. We came back after a couple of hours to find the room still wasn't ready, but the receptionist upgraded us straight away to what she called "a nicer room". I was happy with outcome and thought it worked out for the best. But when I got to the room I just got a bad feeling about it. First of all the room was like absolute sauna and was extremely stuffy. There was no air con in the room and none in the hotel seemingly had any as it was an old building. There wasn't even a fan in the room and I had to go out of my way to request this. One of the windows wouldn't open and the other main window only opened a small amount. The decor was ok, and was in keeping with the building. The bathroom however was lovely and modern and the shower was great, even though the bath didn't have a hose?
The food in the hotel was ok and was fairly priced. The spa area was nice and is a lovely addition to the hotel. But I just can't get passed how uncomfortable the room was between heat and the very uncomfortable mattress and pillows.
I had to request towels for my room one day, we went to the pool area and requested these on the way past the reception. On our way back an hour or. more later, we found the towels still hadn't being delivered too our room as promised, just when we wanted a proper shower after using the pool. I had received request the towels and only then they where brought to the room.
So to conclude this review as I was seemingly "upgraded" to a nicer room.......I wouldn't have liked to have seen the room I was originally ment to be in?
Just on the above and my overall experience I couldn't recommend going to this hotel.

3  Thank Gary S