“A first class refurbishment, well done !”

Royal Station Hotel
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Had a very good return stay at the Royal Station Hotel in Newcastle.
Was allocated a superior double room on the 3rd floor and it was excellent. Very clean with a great bathroom. Staff were friendly and helpful, hotel seems to run very proffesionally and it shows.
Breakfast was good, hot and good selection, staff again friendly and helpful, didnt like the little metal teapots but thats just a small things they drip everywhere !
Had a good nights sleep the bed was very comfortable and new quilts and pillows just on my day of arrival, i checked in early and the maid was doing this as i left my case.
Corridors are very nice now, uniformed and new carpets and lights everywhere. Restaurant could do with a little updating but on the whole a very good stay and excellent value for money.
Did not eat in on the evening but the restaurant did seem busy.
Leisure centre was a nice bonus this visit. Carla was very nice and showed us around.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LondonRonnie
Write a ReviewReviews (1,975)

Reviewed 6 February 2011

If this hotel has been refurbished I shudder to think what it was like before , its remain an ugly old fashioned hotel with dark corridors , chipped paint and gawdy blue carpet . Reception girls were pleasant enough and were quite helpful . Room was not ready so we dumped out luggage in a room off the reception at our own risk , no security , anybody could have taken their choice of luggage . , I was allocated a superior single room which I was told was a lot bigger then the standard room , it was like a large cupboard but ok with a decent bathroom / shower .howwever no double glazing so u get all the noise from outside which is a lot on a Saturday night . Breakfast did not begin until 8.00 am because it was 'Sunday' , who are they running the hotel for the staff or guests ?? . As there were no chairs in reception i innocently found a comfy chair in the restaurant area to await my breakfast , 'Bobby' told me that i was not allowed to sit in there until 8am under health and safety reasons , when i wandered outside he proceeded to baracade the restaurant entrance door with a chair leaving my coat inside .

You could not make it up if u tried

Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mick48dc
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Stayed here last year before refurb, WOW....I was pleasently surprised on my recent stay. The refurb is brilliant, room was done in a very contemporay feel, flat screen tv, very modern bathroom and a really nice touch is the complementary drinks and snacks in the fridge.
Check in was straight forward, staff were very pleasent and welcoming.
Love the location of the Hotel as its right in the heart of the city, everything is in walking distance, and Newcastle has such a fab nightlife.
Used the Leisure facilities this time and was very surprised, they have a pool, spa , steam room, sauna and plunge pool, and a very well equipped fitness suite.
Staff were very friendly and cheerfull, showed us round and made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was very good, hot and plenty to choose from. Internet is available and connection is FAB, just have to ring reception for code.
Overall had a fanstastic stay and will defo be back.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tinker1969
Reviewed 29 January 2011

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I was a little apprehensive about booking this hotel, because of the drastically differing opinions. How misplaced mine was.

The hotel is right next to the station. When you exit, turn right and it'll be a short walk from there. The reception area was absolutely stunning. The receptionist was professional, in that with others behind she did not announce my room number out loud, and also told me about the facilities available. Courtesy was also present; on discovering that my stay had already been pre-paid for after trying to charge me again, she apologised, for something that was a honest mistake. This is something that is greatly valued after my experience at Travelodge. Therefore, tick one!

I'll admit that I got rather nervous about what I'd got myself into when I hit the corridors, because they were narrow and, well...smelt weird. The doors looked rather old too. But this made for such a wonderful surprise when I opened the room because I. Was. Completely. Floored. For the low price paid I got a wonderful double bed with 4 pillows and 2 cushions, a near dressing table, a wardrobe, a chest of drawers, a spunky flat screen, a fridge (!!!) with mineral water, milk and kitkat bars AND orange juice. The design of the toilet rivals those of 5 star hotels, it was that clean and nice (for lack of a better word) . Complimentary toiletries are available, and there is even a shoe polish sponge on the dressing table.

For those who may need to work during weekends, you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that wireless is complimentary and works exceedingly well in your rooms.

One thing that annoys me is being able to hear fellow hotel guests; I didn't hear anyone in the adjacent rooms, though it might be that it was unoccupied. My room faced the clubs, and there may have been an incident during the night, with ambulances being called in. However, this made for rather soothing background noise, and once you have one pillow over your head you can't really hear anything. To put things into perspective though, I turned in at about 2am, so it might have been that the noise had quietened down slightly.

I don't think it could have been any better. If you really want to nitpick I guess one could detect some signs of wear and tear, but if you think about it it'd be incredible if no hotel shows signs of wear and tear; these are establishments where people of all levels of integrity and self-discipline stay in, and they may not possess the same level of responsibility towards keeping something not of theirs in good condition.

One thing I've learnt is that I have to look at the dates these reviews were posted; some of them may be out of date because they were posted pre-refurbishment or changes. I may just end up losing out on a hidden gem just as I nearly did.

1  Thank iylr
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I have stayed in Newcastle on business a number of times over the last year and have tried a number of hotels in the city ranging from large 4 star chains to boutique style smaller hotels. During this time the Station has been undergoing a refurb so I have stayed there while a large amount of work has been going on to bring it up to date, but now that the work is drawing to a close the Hotel is just outstanding value for a city centre hotel.
It has maintained its traditional feel with huge glistening chandeliers in the lobby, and the decor in all public areas are simialr but the rooms have been given a much more contemporary feel with flat screen tvs, modern bathrooms and large and very comfortable beds. a nice extra touch are the drinks and kit kats in the room fridge which rather than being outrageously overpriced as is normally the case, are instead complementary. It is literally right next to Newcastle Central Train but unless you are a very light sleeper it isnt an issue re noise. The upside is that everything in the city centre is walking distance away. I havent used the gym or pool so cant comment on those facilities but these really are a bonus with the hotel being such great value for money. Drinks in the bar are close to regular bar prices which makes a change and staff are friendly and helpful. Oh and there is free wi fi in all areas whcih when you are on business is really useful. At almost half the price of some of the 4 stars in the city its just great value for money and ideal for either business or a weekend city break.

1  Thank spd77
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Just had another great stay at the Royal Station Hotel. The refurbishment is excellent what a difference this has made. The room we had ( 300 ) was first class, spotless with free orange juice, water chocolates in fridge. Check in very smooth with polite and friendly staff, the General manager handed me a super desk top diary on arrival which was just what i was looking for !
Leisure facilities were good, Sue on the desk very helpful and showed us around even offered us a coffee when sitting relaxing in the lounge area. Customer service was very good, breakfast hot and plenty of selection. Wireless internet a bonus and i think has been recently upgraded as we had no problems on this stay at all.
To be honest i have stayed in 5 star hotels many times and am suprised this Hotel is only running as a 3 star, its much more than that anyday.

1  Thank Purcy2006
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I arrived at the central station so i was very pleased that the hotel is right next to the station. It is possible to always get taxis and get everywhere by foot or metro.
The Staff was very nice and food was fine.
I have never had to pass through sooo many doors and walk stairs up and down again to get to my room... the building is so hold and the floors arent all level. They must have put me in the furthest room. The room was very old but renovated to some extent. I had important things to deal with and didnt ask for a new room when the water didnt get hot whatsoever.
The next day i was told that i had to let the water flow freely in the sink and the shower 15 MINUTES prior to taking a shower so i might get some WARM? WATER? I didnt feel right so i showered under the ice cold water.
The Internet was down for my entire 4 day stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business