“Super-new and modern, great staff, breakfast service disappointing”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond
Little Hallingbury, United Kingdom
“Super-new and modern, great staff, breakfast service disappointing”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Stayed here for one night on business at the University of Northumbria. Very conveniently located 1 metro stop from the centre, and a 5 minute walk from the metro stop. Looks very new from the outside, and a nice bright welcoming foyer, with friendly staff at reception. Rooms are nicely decorated, not chainy-looking at all, with a bath in every one, comfortable bed, fast and free wi-fi and digital plasma tv.

After a great night's sleep, i was looking forward to my free cooked breakfast, but firstly they didn't have my room on their list, secondly they sat me down at a table that wasn't properly laid, and thirdly didn't ask me if i wanted tea or coffee and toast, when everyone else that came in was. There weren't any glasses at the juice station, and despite it only being 9 o'clock and 1 hour of breakfast service to go, there wasn't much choice of cooked breakfast at the buffet. The egg and beans dishes had the lids on and were too hot to remove, there was no-one behind the counter to take them off for you.

I only booked this for the Priority club reward points but i wouldn't hesitate to come again, (and get up a bit earlier next time!) There are so many hotels in Newcastle but if you can get a good rate here book it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank VirtualOli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Clean room, decent italian food (not the usual hotel pasta dish), new bathroom and a good bed. Breakfast was hectic and the staff very unhappy (heard one waitress snap at a fellow diner). Overall not bad for a business stay for one night only!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

A one night stay, longer might have caused problems. Parking is free so a good point scored here, was in location expected and seemed to still have refurbishment work ongoing. Stayed in an executive suite which was a nice large room with a larger then average bed, good size bathroom and desk for working at. Bedroom was on main road although the double glazed window did help with the traffic. A weird smell in the reception and bar area - drains and not pleasant. A reasonable price and nights sleep apart from a wake up call at 5.31am which we had not ordered. No paper delivered as ordered (why do hotel's insist on asking you if you want a paper then consistantly not deliver one.) phone reception who advised they had the paper we had requested. We had a lazy morning doing work at our computer and showering then went down to breakfast. We managed to find a daily paper. Breakfast is 7.00am - 10am we went down after 9.00am to find that the buffet breakfast consisted of very little. No fruit, egg, mushrooms, tomato's or fresh juice - the sausages were burnt and black pudding so dried up and hard you could have used it as a lethal weapon. The staff shrugged when asked and we had to ask for the manager who initially stated that it was not practice to fill up the buffet after most people had finished breakfast, which i can understand from a waste management point. No option to order fresh cooked items and were told we should have found a member of staff and asked? Customer service at its best! We were not the last people to come in for breakfast, and the tables were still set for breakfast - issue no choice and unhelpful staff and management. Disappointed as use Holiday Inn often on business trips and this experience has left a sour taste.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank widowsinwhite
Gryon
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Whilst the room was comfortable, morning paper and morning call failed to materialise: the restaurant service was abysmal, morning and evening (forgot one cpurse, main course was cold and overcooked, served by 5 different members of staff) and the location is noisy and some way from anywhere - don't believe where the web site for the hotel says it is - it is not in Jesmond Dene but 20 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank GryonGryon
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My friend got married here and from start to finish we were blown away by the service received.
Everytime we visited to make arrangements, either by appointment or on a whim, we were greeted warmly and always offered a drink - on the house - which I had never experienced in any other hotel. Lesley the wedding co- ordinator was friendly, knowledgeable and so reassuring that my friend always left feeling confident they could give her the magical day she wanted.
A magical day is indeed what she got.

When the bridesmaids arrived we were greeted by Stuart who straight away took us and got us a glass of wine (again complimentary)

He ensured we knew what was happening, kept us up to date with timings and was always on hand to answer any questions or give help where needed. He was professional and personable. He made the day flow seamlessly, took any stress away and I can honestly say the day was such a success largely due to him.
He stayed til the last guest went to bed in the early hours of the morning and was there again in the morning when we came down for breakfast, still as bright and cheery as the day before and stayed to see the very satisfied bride and groom off at midday.
In summary, nothing was ever too much trouble for them, when timings ran late due to the wedding party, there were no eyebrows raised (despite it causing quite a problem for the catering staff) And everyone was made to feel very special.
If you are reading reviews to just find a hotel to stay in and not a wedding venue i would still highly recommend this sleek, modern, well run and friendly staffed hotel!
Many thanks to all.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Diananash
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Stayed here for one night last week and booked again tonight as it was so good, and WOW what a difference to the normal Holiday Inn's in the area. The public areas a clean and fresh, there is plenty of parking spaces. The rooms have the new flat TV's with many channels, comfy beds and pillow choice. There is even input ports for the TV so you can watch/listen to your own films with your AV cable. A USB charging point as well.
On my first visit, I was upgraded to an executive room (Platinum Member) on my first stay, and the room was huge. Even the bathroom was impressive with the large walk in shower. The minibar fridge had complimentary water/orange juice and Kit-Kat. The breakfast was very good with pleasant servers and a prompt service.

On my second visit, there was a wedding and all upgraded rooms where taken. I was not expecting a good room, but again they impressed. As the standard rooms where just as nice (smaller) with complimentary water etc. in the minibar and biscuits. The service was a little slow in the bar, but this was due to the wedding and a Sunday night.

Free wifi is another bonus.

Overall this will be my 1st choice for hotel when staying in Newcastle, I will be back again, and again and again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The system I booked through (central reservations) had randomly cancelled my bookings I had made months in advance, however, I was lucky to call up to actually try and cancel a room as we had les speople so became aware of the issue. Fortunately the branch did their very best to resolve the issue of the cancelled rooms and find me a room. When we arrived the access and parking were easy, the lobby was clean and welcoming and the staff very helpful and friendly. My friends and I were there to attend an old association's annual dinner and not to use the hotel for more than a crashpad at a reasonable rate, not be a complete hovel and to get ready. The hotel room was immaculate, the third person charge meant an extra "z-bed" was added, fully made up and just as comfortable as the other 2 large single beds in the room. Great choice of pillows, free items in the minibar (they put it a couple of kitkats, some OJ, Water etc - no booze and there was an excellent tea coffee tray which was much needed for a revival after the trek up to newcastle. The TV wasn't working, they told us upfront when we were checking in and automatically gave us a bottle of wine for the "inconvenience" I wasn't there to watch telly so this was fine with us! They brought up anything we needed like iron/ironing board, no cost. We had a "snack" in the bar which turned out to be more like a light meal! Reasonably priced (<£5) and yummy (and I can be quite picky, it was basic but still tasty) and a nice simple menu but to cater for everyone's tastes.

Bed was soooo comfy, we didn't get back til about 5am, the late (1200) checkout meant I actually got some sleep and I was legal to drive (sensibly stopped drinking at midnight!) but I left my car in the carpark there which seemed to not pose problems just to be sure and walked into town which is so close (may b worth getting the metro which is about 60 seconds walk from the hotel) if you don't know newcastle (but I had lived their for 3 years!) Bathroom made for a welcome shower in the morning and was spacious and clean, although we did suspect a small leak in there (nothing major or a problem to us).

The room was quite "tech" places to plug in ipods/charge directly via USB etc, (I'm tech minded so was easy for me to work out but I'm sure if you were struggling the staff would help you out)

The window view was awful, but it didnt matter to us, (we just could se venting outside!) We didn't really care though! And to be honest, unless you're on the Quayside, you don't really get nice views in ncl!

This hotel, for the price, location, quality and friendliness was excellent... but the minor things (telly not working - if you were there after a day of business I could see it being an inconvenience), small leak and of course the booking issues did take that edge of it. However, in spite of me being critical, I WOULD stay there again as it is VERY GOOD value for money which is important. I think the other 2 girls would too.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends