“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed here whilst on business. Has everything you could want. Great rooms, great food, great staff and even better prices. Hotel was very clean and tidy. Tip: Bring a dvd player or PS3, you get free wifi and you are able to hook up to the TV through the ports. Will be staying here more often, best I have found. This is very close to bother Sunderland and Newcastle.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Amy C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2012

From all of us from the Holiday Inn - Newcastle Jesmond, we would like to thank you for your positive review and hope to see you again in the near future

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Stayed here over the weekend with my wife, while visiting our daughter who us studying at Newcastle University. Previously we has stayed at hotels on the nearby Osborne Road, but they were all a "bit tacky" and the Holiday Inn was a big improvement. Location is excellent. Our room was well appointed if a little small. We didn't take any meals. Our only gripe was that the room air con did not work - we were cold, and a request to Reception for help produced no improvement. Oddly, the public areas of the hotel were basking in tropical temperatures throughout our stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
Amy C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

I have responded privately to your review

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I have stayed in several Holiday Inn hotels, but this is definitely one of the best. Staff very helpful, although no acknowledgement that I was a Priority Club member. All areas spotlessly clean. Decor modern. Not entirely convinced about partially obscure glass to bathroom though! Breakfast a little overpriced, although a good selection those who only eat a "normal" sized breakfast would probably feel a little cheated - as I did!
Location - a 10 minute taxi ride from the central rail station, and a 5 minute walk from Jesmond metro station.
All in all, excellent value, attentive and friendly staff, nice bars and would have no hesitation in booking here again or recommending it to other travellers.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Amy C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and apologize that you feel the breakfast is overpriced although if you book breakfast inadvance with reception it does cost less than going to the Restaurant. We do hope that you visit the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed overnight in Jan 2012. Rooms are good value for money for the standard; you can pay double and get worse. Five minutes walk from the Metro, and free parking was handy. We also had a free beer for joining their Premier card

Room Tip: Double was fine
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your feedback, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Apologies to the people who readt this - as I am ranting!!!

Style over Substance – or even attention to detail (or lack of it)
I had the unfortunate pleasure of staying at the Holiday Inn Newcastle – Jesmond in November 2011 and found that my experience was somewhat different to the reviews posted on here. I really think it depends which part of the hotel you occupy as to whether you stay is excellent or average/below average.
Id like to think I take hotels for what they are and have reviewed several on this site all fairly, and on the whole positively – but this one is not positive.

The hotel is 4 buildings all linked to each other – at some stage being a Swallow Hotel. The one bedroom block is from the sixties whilst it appears the other bedroom area is a more modern extension. Staying at Holiday Inn’s you tend to know what you are getting – so I was somewhat surprised by the very modern and contemporary interior upon arrival – but alas from that point, this was where the nice surprises stopped.

Check in was okay – as a Gold Priority Club Member I would have expected some recognition (as I do get in other Holiday Inn’s / Expresses/Crowne Plaza’s) – but alas this was missing. Allocated 233 on the 2nd floor of the block to the left of reception (later to find the old block). 1st attention to detail issue – no signs on walls telling you which way to walk to your room number – so a quick guess and we arrived. I had been sent to an un-serviced room - called Reception and was told she would be straight up with a key to another room. After a few mins I met a gentleman (I assume manager on duty) in the corridor and we walked to 245 on the same floor. He asked what was wrong with the other room but no apology, then showed me the new room – this was a Twin (and I had booked and was paying for a double). I was told he hadn’t got any other rooms – but no apology. So, I could wait whilst he got someone to clean the double or take the Twin (as it was 9.30pm I chose the Twin). One positive point was that he offered me complimentary room service for the inconvenience.

The room itself LOOKED okay on first impression, but this is all – as it is very much style over substance. The room itself has been refurbed – but not very well. See pictures of window ledges and bathroom cracks. The room has air con – but even when set to the highest temp the room was still cold (partly not helped by the gap in the old double glazed windows)

Room Service dinner was good!

Asked for heater and was told they would try and find one – finally arrived and was told only one they had – but had leg missing, so how on earth can you use a convector heater with one leg (see picture)

I have listed the other issues based on location (so as not to sound as if im ranting)
Bathroom issues
1. Half lights not working in bathroom mirror
2. Hook hanging off back of door (see pic)
3. Cracks in finish of tiles
4. Area to right of sink never been cleaned (see pic)
5. As per other reviewers – very difficult to use toilet as situated too close to wall.
6. Shower looked nice – but again very difficult to get into due to the access in this room and the fact the bathroom door was also on an angle.

Bedroom Issues
1. Twin duvets are so small that I needed to use the 2 of them on one bed to actually provide some cover and warmth
2. TV quality Good – Recording facility DID NOT WORK
3. No Bed throws as shown in website pictures
4. Room had shower only! – although website states Bath Tub!
5. Floor very cold (as stated by others) – even carpeted section you could feel the cold through the carpet

Breakfast
1. Typical hot buffet and help yourself cereals etc
2. Dirty spoon on table for cereal – requested a clean one, also had to request
teaspoon as there seemed to be non on any tables for your teacup

Scrambled Egg was scrambled at one stage in its life – but not at 9.30am when I went for breakfast – when cutting, yes CUTTING, into it to place on place discovered it had gone BLUE from being in pan so long. Requested some NON BLUE eggs from waitress – who proceeded to walk into kitchen and shout “Guy would like some Scrambled eggs that aren’t blue!”. Eventually bought me my own small bowl of scrambled egg (see picture) alas overcooked and watery. Perhaps they should employ a chef that can actually cook scrambled egg

Hadn’t received my Wake Up Call or complimentary newspaper, as I had moved room, so reception must have forgotten to transfer it.

Check out was frosty – same girl who checked me in. During the process she didn’t once ask if I had a nice time and also made no reference to the fact she had sent me to an un-serviced room the night prior. I had completed a guest questionnaire and a maintenance card and passed them over to her, asking that they be given to the correct person in the hotel.

I then pointed out that I had not received either my wake up call or newspaper and all she said was “Oh!” nothing else – just “Oh!” I was now seething and asked if she planned on apologising and the first words out of her mouth was “do you want it refunding” I explained I could not be bothered and would not be staying again.

Obviously Customer Service is NOT something that this hotel specialises in. In addition (as of today) I have not received any feedback or comments from the hotel regarding my well completed guest questionnaire. But then again I notice they never respond to any reviews on TripAdvisor either

£111 for 1 nights BB for 1 person!!!!!!! Have stayed in several hotels in Newcastle I would have to say that this will be one I WONT be returning to.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Andrew T

We have written a reply to your private email

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed here last night, nice new rooms, very comfortable, friendly staff, and so easy.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

We appreciate your positive review and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here for one night in August; it's standard travelodge type accomodation but in a good location. Stayed here when before it burned down and it lt classier then, even though it was neglected.

At checkin, the bespectacled, rotund, arrogant clerk could hardly have been more objectionable. Quite a feat when you consider how little interaction is required for checkin. That alone is reason enough for me not to return to the hotel.

Our room looked over the back of the hotel where staff would congregate to smoke and complain loudly about their management. Both the relentless inane chatter and smoke meant we kept the windows closed.

Room was ok, no great shakes or complaints but until the staff get their act together, the are plenty more nice places to stay in Newcastle.

• Stayed: August 2011