“A good stay”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond
Reviewed 5 July 2012

The stay was clean and tidy with comfortable beds and good service

• Stayed: August 2011
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

I appreicate you taking the time to post your positive comments, and look forward welcoming you back to the hotel when your travel brings you to the area.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

I booked a room here on a Saturday night because of it's close proximity to a hen party venue. The reviewer who said the area was dead was just walking in the wrong direction! This is a hotel in a quiet spot right in the centre of some great areas in Newcastle; 5 minutes from Osbourne Road, and 10 minutes from the city centre, you are not far from bars, clubs, restaurants and shops.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel, and the rooms have a very high standard of furnishings. I have to stay though I wasn't impressed with the see-through bathroom doors! I was sharing with a friend and I couldn't use the long mirror in our room to get ready whilst she was in the bathroom as I would have been able to see her on the toilet! Even if I was staying with a partner, I think it is a totally unnecessary feature.

The hotel's car park was great, and had plenty of space in it when we were staying so we could use two cars per room.

The main issue I had with the hotel was the over zealous security. After returning from our night out, there was security at the door checking that you were indeed booked into this hotel. Not a problem, in fact it's great to see you won't have any waifs and strays getting in. However, as we had a big group of girls all arriving from different areas of the country, one of the girls hadn't had a chance to register to one of the rooms before the hen do started, so on coming back to the hotel, security had one of the rooms down as having one occupant, not two. As we had paid for a double, we hadn't even thought on checking in that we would need to put two names down to the room (I've never heard of that at a hotel before, and doubt I will again). Needless to say it took a long time to get security to understand that the girl was with our party and we'd paid for a double. He kept saying 'hotel policy' to us, which was not helpful at 2am when you are fearing you may need to find another hotel. However the receptionist sorted it out for us, and we were able to go to our rooms as planned.

All in all, the hotel was great, just perhaps a few teething problems that come with a new hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

I am grateful of your feedback regarding your recent stay with us, feedback is vital as it allows to see areas which can be improved in order to improve the products and services we offer to our guests.

The see-through bathroom door have been investigated and are in the process of being replaced.

With regards to the security on the evening of your return to the hotel , all guest members must be registered upon checkin. If a member of the party is not registered as a security measure, it is hotel policy to question this. My apologies if this caused any inconvenience but the security must following all procedures to ensure the safety of our guests.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and you revisit us soon in the near future.#

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Stayed at the Holiday inn Jesmond for 2 nights. We stayed in an executive king room. The room was very spacious and very clean. The bathroom was well appointed with both a shower and a bath. There was a large wardrobe area and a massive bed. The TV has lots of functions and a keyboard for browsing the internet (Free). The wifi is very slow and did not have much signal in the room we were in. Mini bar is reasonably priced. The staff are friendly and helpful but it took 3 calls to reception to ask a member of staff to help us with the media system. The hotel gets very busy at weekends and can be quite noisy although could not hear anything from the room. The bar is very expensive £4.50 for a pint of Peroni. I would defiantly stay here again. The free car parking is also a plus. I would give this hotel 8/10. Any questions please send me a message.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are very big
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tommyjoker
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

I would like to thank you for posting your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to progress further in improving guests needs and wants.

I will pass over your comments made to our IT Department regarding the wifi connection and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Generally good with some annoying niggles. Good central location for the Civic Centre and some lovely parks close by.
No marked walking and stairs route to the room (237), you had to take the lift or aim for room 140 and then wiggle your way up. Very noisy fan in the bathroom that takes too long to switch off when trying to sleep. The need to keep logging in to wifi, why cannot it recognise me automatically for the period of my stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments, feedback is vital in improving the products and services we offer to guests.

We regards to Room 237, we have signage in the lifts to get to the bedroom but we have also taking your comments into consideration and added additional signage to help further.

I have past over the comments made ragrding the noisy fan to the Maintenance Manager for this to be investigated.

I apologise for the inconvenience with having to sign into the wifi on each visit, this due to security measures we have in place to ensure all non-residents and public are not using our wifi connection.

Once again we appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I have now stayed at this Hotel around 5 or 6 times, each time has been for business purposes but this hotel just seems to get better each time. Cant fault the staff or the rooms and the last 2 times i have been there was a new bar at the end of the corridor which had half price food so thats the same food as they server in the restraunt only half price = win!

I work in Newcastle quite a lot and this has now become my Hotel of choice when I'm there. It would seem this is the case for lots of people as a couple of times i have tried to get a room and its been fully booked!

I think if there was a downside at all it would be that the hotel try to discourage you from having breakfast. I'll elaborate on that a little, each time we book through work, breakfast is paid for. However unless you physically tell the reception staff that you want breakfast its quite difficult to get it, they opt to ignore the booking unless you ask them when asked why this was a colleague of mine was told they try to save money - seems a bit odd really if it says breakfast on the booking give us breakfast. this may not happen to everyone though so dont let this put you off at all

Room Tip: I've stayed in both sides of the hotel now and all the rooms seem to be the same, I did read som...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at The Holiday Inn - Newcastle Jesmond.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. I appreciate the guest feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Upon Check in it is a standard procedure for the Reception Team to offer breakfast to all guests who dont have it included in their rate.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to hotels and we hope you will choose Holiday Inn – Newcastle Jesmond for your future travel needs.

Reviewed 23 June 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights while at a conference at the university. The room rate was good (75 pounds including breakfast). In general I liked this hotel but have a few reservations.

It is very convenient to the Jesmond metro stop, just a block away. I asked for a quiet room and I got a very quiet room - I would worry about the rooms facing on Jesmond Road, which is quite busy, but I could barely hear it with my window closed. There was sound sound from the room next door, but not too much. Nice dark curtains. The shower was great with lots of hot water. In general the facilities are clean and well maintained. The breakfast was a buffet, decent English breakfast and small choice of cold meat and cheese. The bed was great!

On the down side, this hotel is in a totally dead neighborhood (literally, next to a big cemetary). If you're looking for shops or restaurants or food stores, you won't find any within less than 15 minute walk over to the Haymarket metro stop. Also, the WiFi was rather sluggish, and stopped entirely for at least a few hours early one morning. The lighting in the rooms was a bit low - fortunately most of my work was on the laptop. And every day when they cleaned the room they reset the thermostat to 24, so the room was way too hot when I returned after dinner!

All in all, though, I could live with most of the limitations, my main warning is about the dead neighborhood.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mojave_ben
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

I have responded to your privately,

Reviewed 22 June 2012

The price is a little pricey, so can't really be considered the best value (£90 +£10 for breakfast), but the quality of the hotel, cleaniness of rooms, open lobby, breakfast rooms are very good. It's better than the usual Holiday Inn.
Free and fast WiFi, good choice of buffet breakfast, quality of the rooms are major plus points. Bad points, even though my room was excellent, my colleagues reported showers not working and lights not coming on in the bathroom.
I was next to the main road into/out of Newcastle, but never heard too much noise as the double glazed windows and blinds did a great job of suppressing the noise and light. Big, flatscreen TVs (LG) were quite good and had many FreeView channels that were watchable. My shower was excellent and the bathroom was spotless.
I only had one complaint and that was the food at the bar next to the lobby. My meal was on the small side (pie of the day) and it was overly salty. My first choice of fish and chips was not in stock!
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 234 was excellent! The rooms are in different wings and so it can be a maze to get around. I wa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 27 June 2012

I have responded to you privately,