“Don't expect a 4 star hotel if you stay at the weekend”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond
Dundee
“Don't expect a 4 star hotel if you stay at the weekend”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a nice property, the rooms are nice, the bar and public areas are nice and generally a good location. however If you stay at the weekend be prepared to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. You will be asked to sign disclaimers saying you wont trash the rooms, burly security guards will try to bully your room number from you, Staff will not know how to deal with frequent guests and do not recognise the IHG loyalty programs.
As a platinum member, and I have been in many holiday inn's all over the world. I have never been accused that I might trash a room or been denied access to a hotel despite showing ID because I would not disclose my room number to a non HI member of staff.
If you are expecting a 4 star holiday Inn, don't stay here, you get the treatment you would expect at a hostel or city centre Travel lodge. Not good reflection of the brand or such a nice property.

Room Tip: any one Monday to Thursday
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Good Evening Mr Grieve,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor- we appreciate your comment and time you took to post your comment on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Jesmond. Please allow me to apologize with utmost sincerity for the mixed feeling you encountered during your stay at our Hotel.

However, in addition to conversation you had with the duty manager during your stay at the hotel and numerous emails exchange we had and comments made through IHG guests services. We brought to your kind attention that the reason that we take deposit from parties of three or more rooms in case the rooms gets damaged. It is also to protect the interest of the group organizer, as your card was given as a guarantee during reservation for full payment and if we don’t take any other method of payment and any damage happens within your party then your card would have been charged for the damages. Moreover, as a Credit Card security and in the interest of the card holders the authorization is taken after explaining the charges that can occur on card in case of any damages to the hotel property. Hence the reason we ask large parties with no individual method of payment to sign a disclaimer and take individual deposit which is refunded on departure once rooms are checked.

With regards to security during the night time, as we are a city centre hotel, on weekends we need to hire an external professional security with a badge while on the hotel premises. This is again to make sure all our guests like you feel secure and safe when they are in the hotel. This can be done by ensuring that only our registered staying guests are on the hotel premises in the night time.

We would under no circumstances compromise guests’ personal information by giving address details, credit card or any other information or personal details. The security team are only given room numbers and names to check. The reason is to not have any unauthorised people wandering around on the hotel premises. The other important thing is that we need to comply with the Health and Safety Regulations. We simply need to know how many guests are currently staying over in the hotel in the event of fire.

Again, our intentions are purely to make sure that all our guests and staff members are safe. However, I again apologise if you felt our security measures made you feel like a 2nd class citizen as our intentions are never to make any guest unhappy. We always try our best to provide our guests with the best experience when they stay with IHG hotel group.

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Belfast
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel with courteous, friendly, helpful staff. The room layout was completely bewildering. It took my colleagues and me quite some time to find our rooms because we took the stairs rather than the lift. My room number disappeared from the signs and I walked up and down several corridors before finding it! However, when I finally found it I was very pleased. It was clean, comfortable and had several complimentary goodies. We ate in Fratello's, the on-site restaurant, which was more than acceptable. Breakfast was tasty and had lots of choice. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us, and I pleased to know that you found the hotel amenities and room neat and clean and enjoyed your dinning experience in our Fratello's restaurant, also I will pass your lovely comments to our staff members.

I would however like to apologize for the inconvenience you had finding your room, the hotel is made up of three listed buildings making it difficult to alter/change the layout of the bedrooms from when it used to be the Imperial hotel. Each bedroom does differ in size and layout in which cannot be amended easily. The signage to some bedrooms are a bit tricky but all rooms are sign posted in the best possible way we can.

We would be looking forward for your stay again in near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

200 words are not needed as a few words say it all. Fantastic service, our dream day was AMAZING !
Rooms were fab, several of our guests stayed over and nothing was a problem for the staff. Can't recommend enough !

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
What a fantastic review! Thank you!

I am so pleased that you had a wonderful wedding at our hotel and all the staff were helpful in making your wedding a magical experience.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will pass your lovely comments to all my staff. We wish you all the best for the wonderful years ahead and would love to see you sometime in future.

Warwickshire
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed for a couple of nights on business so hotel was pretty quiet at night being midweek.I was very happy with the hotel itself and staff. Room was spotless and well decorated with comfortable bed. Staff were helpful, with good service at breakfast which was a good selection.
Easy 15 minute walk to the city centre but hotel has a bar and decent italian style restaurant if you want to stay in.
Would definitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for such a positive review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

west yorkshire
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night.
It was a mission to try to find my room and stupifidly signposted room numbers.
The room itself was average size with a great bathroom.
I was at the back of the hotel so had no view apart from a long corridor.
The downfall for me had to be the breakfast. For holiday inn brand I expected more variety. More like a B&B.
doesn't need a lot to make this a good hotel.
Not sure if I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you encountered problems.

The hotel is made up of three listed buildings making it difficult to alter/change the layout of the bedrooms from when it used to be the Imperial hotel. Each bedroom does differ in size and layout in which cannot be amended easily.

I am sorry about the breakfast quality, we generally do get good response from guests for breakfast, but I will pass your comments to our breakfast chef.

I hope this would not put you off from staying at our hotel and if I can do anything in future to make your stay more satisfying please feel free to email me on foh@hinewcastle.co.uk.

England
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Stayed here for 1 night (Saturday) it's a busy hotel but all the same standards are good , staff very friendly and helpful
We had an exec room large and spacious with a large shower , very clean it was on the main road but very quiet . A lot mentioned the place to be noisy at night widen people coming back to the rooms and yes we heard people talking but I suppose it depends who is in the hotel at the time.
It's a short taxi ride I town

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel suitable your needs. I will pass your lovely comments to our team.

We look forward to welcome you in near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My sister and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel over a weekend. It was supposed to be a special treat and an upgrade on our usual choice. We have very mixed feelings about the hotel.

To summarise:

We were given a double room, I’d asked for a twin – this may not have been their fault as I booked via Lastminute.com and they said they weren’t aware of this. We were upgraded to a bigger double bed for the first night and were switched to a twin for the following 2 nights. The staff did their utmost to help over a very busy weekend.

On Saturday there was a wedding at the hotel. I don’t like to spoil people’s special day but our whole room shook and vibrated until 1am in the morning – the bass was very strong. We rang and asked how long it would carry on at 11.30pm. I managed to doze a little, my sister did not.

Subsequent to this the people in the next room (who it turned out had been causing the hotel staff trouble all evening) were in out/in out of their room, banging doors and talking loudly until I ran out of patience and rang reception at 4am (I should have done it much earlier with hindsight). The duty manager came up and immediately tried to sort things out and everything calmed down after about 30 mins. Next morning the staff were very apologetic, my sister and I were exhausted. They refunded our previous day’s breakfast and gave me permission to have a meal for free in the evening (my sister left before this). They also implied that we should have that night’s accommodation refunded.

I contacted the front of house manager after returning home. He has unfortunately been very unhelpful – I was offered an upgraded future stay in the hotel or points – both of which are of no use to me. I was hoping for at least £65 refund – difference between room rate and what we were given in kind. I was just stonewalled at every turn.

He also didn’t like the fact I’d booked via another agent – but without doing this I would never have chosen Holiday Inn.

I also put my case to head office but they were apologetic and said they’d refer my complaint back to the hotel - not really interested.

It seems that the Holiday Inn Management don’t take customer’s complaints seriously – the staff were great but let down by management higher up. For this reason I won’t be staying in another of their hotels again – I am not a person who complains unless I feel totally justified, on the rare occasion that I do I like to be taken seriously. I will return to places such as Travel Lodge, Premier Inn and independent establishments who may be slightly more basic but have better respect for their customers.

Other comments:
The hotel encourages weddings which can be noisy for other guests
Hotel is a maze and quite tricky to find your way around
Good location with plenty of parking
On a busy road but very quiet inside
Decent Italian restaurant
Comfortable, spacious room and good en suite
Breakfast not great – no pastries/croissants etc, very little fresh fruit – quite basic for a good quality hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid if looks very full. Ask if weekend function before you book. Ask for a room away from late n...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comment.

In response to your concern the duty manager and I compensated and tried his best to resolve the issue during your stay and you were satisfied when leaving the hotel. Unfortunately as per our conversation over phone, and via email I explained that we cannot refund third party booking.

I would once again like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay.