“A nice place with amazing staff!”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“A nice place with amazing staff!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here at the end of April for business. I've not stayed in holiday inns for a long time and I was surprised how good this place is. I was working from quorum business park and it was a short can ride. It's probably a bit longer into town but there is a more central holiday inn if you need location location location! The room was nice, clean, a nice touch was kit kats, water and orange juice! Free! In a fridge! You know what it's like, always time for a snack after work before dinner! The hotel has 2 bars and a restaurant....the restaurant food is great, maybe a little overpriced for the area but if you want to stay on site it's worth it. The wifi is of good strength and the breakfast was buffet and of good quality, although the beans I waited for but never got :(. All the staff were really friendly.....actually some of the best hotel staff I've encountered. I checked out and they got me a taxi with no sweat. I hope to stay again soon.

• Stayed April 2014
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
What a fantastic review! Thank you!

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you back with us very soon!

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights for a stag-do with 9 other guys. Despite this, the reception staff were pleasant and showed me to a perfectly pleasant room with good natural light, a comfy bed and good bathroom facilities. I was expecting a travellodge-type experience but this was much better.

Hotel bar was nice and stayed open 'til late.

All in all, perfect for the purpose.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TCW_CI
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
What a fantastic review! Thank you!

Skibbereen, Ireland
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here from 17 the April 2014 for 4days ,hotel was excellent from the friendly staff ,to the great breakfast buffet.a short 10 min walk to the city center and st James park if you like football,or 15 to 20 walk to the millennium bridge and the river Tyne and the cruises on the river.the Eldon shopping center is just as you enter the city center and a must for the shopping fanatic newcastle is a vibrant city and the people and among the friendliest I have encountered on my travels the hotel is very good and I have no hesitation on recomming it

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel suitable your needs. I will pass your lovely comments to our team.

We look forward to welcome you in near future.

notts
Reviewed 21 April 2014

nice warm welcome, fine breakfast, newly refitted rooms excellent tv with hdmi and scart input jacks on the wall. nice location 10 min walk to the city center. the air conditioning was a little noisy that would be my only niggle about the hotel.

Room Tip: the twin rooms bed are great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Many thanks for such a positive review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Newent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel is modern, the rooms nicely decorated and there is a nice bar area. The staff were efficient and the service and bar food ok.
When you check in though I would recommend requesting a map to your room or, a ball of wool to leave a trail, so that you can find your way back to civilisation. During my stay I went from the reception / bar area to my room four times and got lost every time! I still have no idea where my room was in relation to the rest of the hotel and the signage did not help at all.
I would stay there again if in the area though as the hotel room and service is perfectly ok.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us, I am sorry that you encountered problems.

In regards to your concern for signage in the hotel I would like to bring to your kind attention that as we are listed building there is limited alterations and signs we can put in the building also we do have regular inspection from Fire Regulation department and we are fully compliant with fire exit signage. I do appreciate it’s a bit hard to navigate the rooms from reception and around in general but I can assure we that we have taken all possible measure to make sure that our guests have minimal hassle when going to their rooms.

I am sorry that this has been a problem when staying with us, we would like you to visit the hotel again where we can allocate you a bedroom which will be more suitable. Please email myself direct on foh@hinewcastle.co.uk and I will personally allocate your bedroom.

Dundee
Reviewed 15 April 2014

This is a nice property, the rooms are nice, the bar and public areas are nice and generally a good location. however If you stay at the weekend be prepared to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. You will be asked to sign disclaimers saying you wont trash the rooms, burly security guards will try to bully your room number from you, Staff will not know how to deal with frequent guests and do not recognise the IHG loyalty programs.
As a platinum member, and I have been in many holiday inn's all over the world. I have never been accused that I might trash a room or been denied access to a hotel despite showing ID because I would not disclose my room number to a non HI member of staff.
If you are expecting a 4 star holiday Inn, don't stay here, you get the treatment you would expect at a hostel or city centre Travel lodge. Not good reflection of the brand or such a nice property.

Room Tip: any one Monday to Thursday
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Good Evening Mr Grieve,

Thank you for your comment on Trip Advisor- we appreciate your comment and time you took to post your comment on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Jesmond. Please allow me to apologize with utmost sincerity for the mixed feeling you encountered during your stay at our Hotel.

However, in addition to conversation you had with the duty manager during your stay at the hotel and numerous emails exchange we had and comments made through IHG guests services. We brought to your kind attention that the reason that we take deposit from parties of three or more rooms in case the rooms gets damaged. It is also to protect the interest of the group organizer, as your card was given as a guarantee during reservation for full payment and if we don’t take any other method of payment and any damage happens within your party then your card would have been charged for the damages. Moreover, as a Credit Card security and in the interest of the card holders the authorization is taken after explaining the charges that can occur on card in case of any damages to the hotel property. Hence the reason we ask large parties with no individual method of payment to sign a disclaimer and take individual deposit which is refunded on departure once rooms are checked.

With regards to security during the night time, as we are a city centre hotel, on weekends we need to hire an external professional security with a badge while on the hotel premises. This is again to make sure all our guests like you feel secure and safe when they are in the hotel. This can be done by ensuring that only our registered staying guests are on the hotel premises in the night time.

We would under no circumstances compromise guests’ personal information by giving address details, credit card or any other information or personal details. The security team are only given room numbers and names to check. The reason is to not have any unauthorised people wandering around on the hotel premises. The other important thing is that we need to comply with the Health and Safety Regulations. We simply need to know how many guests are currently staying over in the hotel in the event of fire.

Again, our intentions are purely to make sure that all our guests and staff members are safe. However, I again apologise if you felt our security measures made you feel like a 2nd class citizen as our intentions are never to make any guest unhappy. We always try our best to provide our guests with the best experience when they stay with IHG hotel group.

Belfast
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a lovely hotel with courteous, friendly, helpful staff. The room layout was completely bewildering. It took my colleagues and me quite some time to find our rooms because we took the stairs rather than the lift. My room number disappeared from the signs and I walked up and down several corridors before finding it! However, when I finally found it I was very pleased. It was clean, comfortable and had several complimentary goodies. We ate in Fratello's, the on-site restaurant, which was more than acceptable. Breakfast was tasty and had lots of choice. All in all a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sachin S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Jesmond, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent stay with us, and I pleased to know that you found the hotel amenities and room neat and clean and enjoyed your dinning experience in our Fratello's restaurant, also I will pass your lovely comments to our staff members.

I would however like to apologize for the inconvenience you had finding your room, the hotel is made up of three listed buildings making it difficult to alter/change the layout of the bedrooms from when it used to be the Imperial hotel. Each bedroom does differ in size and layout in which cannot be amended easily. The signage to some bedrooms are a bit tricky but all rooms are sign posted in the best possible way we can.

We would be looking forward for your stay again in near future.