“Probably the poorest Holiday Inn I have stayed at!”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Probably the poorest Holiday Inn I have stayed at!”
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I just got back from staying 1 night and was not happy at all. Being a platinum member, I supposedly got their best room. There was no clock and the tv did not work neither did the flush. If you came in after midnight there did not seem to be anybody at the front desk. Next day, I could not take a shower as there was no hot water. That night when I came in the room , the bathroom was a mess because the shower could not stop dripping. It dripped all night, the duty manager called could not fix it as no maintenance staff on site, very poor! No wake up call as there was nobody at the front desk late at night a roomchange was not offered. Probably the poorest Holiday Inn I have stayed at. The reception staff were not particularly helpful when we checked in and on Friday. The Pool is void of character, atmosphere and in need of a serious make over. Saturday morning the staff at breakfast were more interested in chatting to each other about their Friday night antics than they were about serving the guests, the food quality at breakfast was poor and cold! I probably will stay at the new Holiday Inn Jesmond in the near future.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank markandcarly
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I was disappointed to learn of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay. It is clear that the problems have stemmed from the maintenance issues experienced in the bedroom, from which you should have been offered the option of a room change as standard. Service issues are extremely rare here, as the feedback received is normally very positive through the high service standards set. On this occasion, however, we have clearly not fully delivered. Your comments will be fully reviewed with my team this week. I would advise that reception is fully manned 24 hours a day, with a night auditor in place during the night. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused, and I do hope you may re-consider and choose to stay here again. Happy to discuss any of the points covered in your review, should you wish to get in touch.
Ken Ellington, General Manager, Holiday Inn Newcastle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We did a Friday and Saturday stay with breakfasts included. I can only reiterate all the other positive comments from other guests, reception, restaurant, breakfast, rooms, pool, gym and location. It was good to see the Manager actually there, always there attending to guests, quietly on the ball and even helping side by side with the restaurant staff, clear used breakfast dishes The one thing that I was not happy with was the over priced beers, wines, spirits and soft drinks in the bar, £1.00 for a small glass of soda from the dispenser to top up my wine spritzer. We will use the hotel again and recommend. Thanks to all for a great stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed for 1 night and had a lovely stay. We had a twin room that had 2 double beds. The room was huge and the bathroom was large. They have free parking and the staff are lovely. The hotel is in a rural setting so was very peaceful. We had room service and food was lovely! No complaints! Great stay!!!

• Stayed April 2011
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
Many thanks for your kind feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and have passed your kind feedback on to my team. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
scotland
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Being a Platinum PC member I have stayed on numerous occasions at this hotel.
The problem they had with this hotel in the past for me, was the antiquated Air Con, but on my last visit this was not a problem due to the time of year.
The restaurant is friendly and enjoyable with good food in the evenings breakfast.
The hotel is a standalone property just off the A1 with a swimming pool on site.
If you have transport then getting around will not be a problem, it is also very near to Newcastle airport for business and leisure people alike.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 30 March 2011
Many thanks for your positive feedback. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
North of England
Reviewed 17 March 2011

The hotel is situated in a tranquil, semi-rural area adjacent to the A1 between Morpeth and Newcastle. Parking is plentiful, so it is a suitable place not only for an overnight stop on a journey between England and Scotland, but an excellent base for exploring Durham and Northumberland.
My room with two double beds was quiet, comfortable and, as I was travelling alone, more than large enough for me. The restaurant was good, both in terms of quality of service and of food.
The best aspect of the hotel is the staff: a minor problem relating to the room was resolved politely, willing, promptly and with good humour. I could not have asked for better service.
One point to bear in mind if a guest’s mobility is limited is the lack of lift to the upper floor, so it may be wise to request a room on the ground floor.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn to attend a function at the hotel. I was so impressed by the staff who made our weekend such a pleasure. From check-in to check-out nothing was too much trouble. The hotel has excellent facilities, with a good size pool and gym. Good quality breakfast too, as Arnie would say - I'll be back.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Many thanks for your great positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here.
Ken Ellington, General Manager
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Good hotel have stayed once before rooms are a good size and comfortable only downside is the smell when entering the room could be product used for cleaning the carpet you get used to it once you are in. The staff are friendly and helpful and we had an excellant evening meal

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your positive feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here.
Ken Ellington, General Manager