“Great stay as always.”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 nights stay.paid for dinner,bed and breakfast. Only gripes I had was the noise from the stag and hens coming back in on saturday night/Sunday morning.was woken at 3.30 by a party of hens shouting and arguing should have phoned reception but didn't so my fault.woken Sunday night/Monday morn by the fire alarm going off at 6.30 so didn't get Mitch sleep both nights.nice to know the fire drill and alarms work.
The breakfast is great value for money all you can eat ranging from cold meats and cheeses to full English and everything in between .the food is always pipping hot and nothing is too much trouble for the staff thanks to david and Kelly .the pool is a little small but clean think I've been spoiled by stopping at the de vere village hotel Newcastle which has a full size pool.
The rooms are a little tied but you don't go away to stay in your room if you do you might as well stay at home.
All in all a good weekend was had

• Stayed: May 2012
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for taking to time to give us feedback and it's lovely to read the names of people who have looked after you. I will pass on your gratitude.
Apologies for the noisey neighbours disturbing you - please remember the nights team will intervene if contacted. They do remind returning party people that there are other guests asleep and to be considerate.
It's great to read you enjoyed your breakfast and time in the pool area.
For great offers do check out our website or call the hotel for our Summer 2012 deals from £49B&B
Norrie Oswald, General Manager

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay here and the staff did a good job. All our meals were good, which were 3 breakfasts, 1 restaurant dinner and 2 bar dinners. Overall it’s a good hotel although there are a number of lesser points.

The hotel is a 2 storey 1970s style building with car parks all round, free as well. The one to the rear isn’t obvious, a sharp turn right on entry and you have to ring reception to be let in at the back it appeared, although we found space at the front. There were a few conferences and 2 coach groups in the hotel and locals use the swimming pool which looks quite a good size.

The room was a decent size and in good condition, with 2 chairs and a table. Unusually, on entering it was cold. Each room has its own electric heater and air conditioner and it soon warmed up. The bed wasn’t over comfortable, seemed to sag a bit. The bathroom had underfloor heating which was neat, although the fan was noisy and seemed to stay on for over an hour after the light went out. We had 2 very quiet nights and one night with some noise. The TV is the usual Holiday Inn 5 channels plus films if you can work it out. Internet access costs a lot. No biscuits.

The bar area looks nice but it can be busy around 6pm as it acts as a waiting room for coach trips to go into the restaurant and is a throughway from reception. The choice of beer is never to my taste at Holiday Inns although I put up with the frozen keg. We decided to have bar meals on later days as there is a bigger choice than the restaurant, it isn’t as comfortable for eating but is less formal and you can watch TV and get pints easier.

The hotel is close to the A1 although the traffic noise wasn’t much and we were on that side. There is a petrol station next door hidden by trees. We used the hotel as a base to visit Alnwick, Cragside, Woodhorn Colliery, Wallington House and drive up the coast. It’s an easy drive from the south or the west to Hadrians Wall.

Overall it was a good trip and the hotel was good enough and quite a decent price. The staff worked very hard and were very attentive throughout which is a big plus in any hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your posting Pete3080 for your recent 3 night stay. Good to read that you dined each night with us and as you say it's good to have the bar meal alternative.
Our location for the trips you highlighted is ideal and with plenty free parking you don't end up with a nasty bill at the end of your stay. The car park to the right is much quieter and the buzzer is linked to reception tp gain access to the corridor.
We have confirmation that new TVs have been ordered for later in the year which will improve our bedrooms.
For info the bathroom extract is controlled centrally on a timer where all the rooms come on & go off at a set time - closing the bathroom door normally retains any noise.
Your lovely comments re the team being attentive have been passed on and are appreciated.
Thanks for your time and hopefully see you on your next visit
Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Reviewed 6 May 2012

A very nice stay we were there for 5 nights Bed,Breakfast & Evening meal,accomodation was
very nice the rooms light and airy also staff were very friendly and keen to help,everything was
fine.

Room Tip: Rooms away from carpark were much quieter but overall,no complaints.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you Anthony & delighted to read that you enjoyed your break with us.
I will pass a copy to the team and appreciate your feedback.
Norrie Oswald, GM

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stayed here for one night, pretty decent hotel very friendly helpful staff, good size rooms. It was a football night, so the bar area was full of guys watching TV, best to head out for food lol

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you Steve for your posting.
As you mentioned we do show Sky and other Sports in the Bar area but please remember the Restaurant is a sports free area - particularly the top end.
Great to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope you visit again when in the area.
Norrie Oswald, GM

Reviewed 17 April 2012

super hotel, rooms great, dinner band b excellent. have stayed here 3 times this year, each time fantastic. my son loves the pool. will stay again soon.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for continuing to stay with us and great to read you enjoy the brilliant dinner, bed and breakfast offers at holiday inn website. Your loyalty is appreciated and I hope your son continues to enjoy his swimming.
kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have just returned from our supposedly relaxing Easter Break. I prepaid for 3 nights in an Executive room including evening meals.
Booking was pretty straight forward, they even phoned to check that I was ok with stairs as I am disabled, so far so good. I paid for the executive room as for personal reasons I have had to be away from home, and my husband and kids deserve a treat. The benefits of the Executive room were listed as: slippers and bathrobes, bottled water in the room, your choice of newspaper delivered, bigger room and mini bar.
At the check in the staff seemed confused and ill informed. When I ordered my paper - they asked me if I wanted one - they told me the only free one was the Independent, and that was not free at weekends.I would have to pay for my paper. No matter, really, but I later found out it was included.
The gym and pool are tiny, but clean, the bar is part of the main corridor as other people have stated, but we did not spend any time there. We were using the hotel as a base to visit Alnwick Castle and the area.
When we got to our room I was a bit disappointed as our room did not seem bigger than usual. However, it was clean and the main room well presented apart from the tired carpet. My son liked the room very much, even sleeping in a double bed with his big sister!The bathroom was reasonably clean apart from stains around the electrical shaver socket and in the basin overflow. The tiles etc need replacing as there are holes where fixtures have been moved bunged up with sealant, but nothing too yucky. There was only one dressing gown, which we found to be a bit odd for 4 people, no slippers, they have stopped doing that,only 2 mugs, and 2 glasses, and only 1 biscuit and 1 hot choc drink. A call to reception soon brought 2 more mugs.
Friday evening we booked a table. We ordered our food - 2 adult, 2 child meals. We also had wine. The rule with the pre-booked supper is up to the value of £23 per adult, so it took a bit of calculating, which was off putting. I ended up picking a TERRIBLE salad as a main. It was supposed to be a £9.25 Caesar salad. 9 dark green whole cos leaves fanned round the plate with some coarsely grated parmesan, 4 small croutons and some very vinegary dressing. That was it. The kids and my husband faired better with rather good fish and chips. then we ordered pudding and found there was no chocolate ice cream, sad for the kids but ok. Incidentally kids drinks are not included with their meals, expect to pay 99p for a breakfast juice glass of orange squash, £1.50 for cola.
That evening the kids wanted to Watch "Puss in Boots" on the old fashioned TV set. The schedule for the films must have been written by a childless person or someone totally unthinking as they could watch it at 3.30pm, 9.30pm or 3.30am... Normally they are asleep by 9pm! However we said they could stop up this once. They put in the room number and the screen went green. Yes of course it charged us the £8 fee, which had to be refunded when I complained to reception the next day.
We went to bed, and as many others have said, were awoken at 4am by some hen party chavs slamming their door and chatting and giggling away oblivious of any other residents trying to sleep. This only lasted about 15 mins but still annoying to have to get kids back to sleep at that hour.
Saturday breakfast was great! This restaurant is quite small, and although they don't have veggie sausages unless you order them when you book the room, there are plenty of other things to eat - the mushrooms are delicious.Everything that should be hot was. Only gripe was the wishy washy watered down OJ.
One comment was that when we spoke to the reception staff before we went out they did not mention that we needed a token to raise the barrier so my husband had to run back to fetch one. A silly oversight, and one they must encounter often.
Saturday evening and the farce starts to progress, the waitress giggling to us unprofessionally that the male manager had forgotten to order someone's meal, dishes delivered to the wrong table, weirdly portioned food, I had a linguine that could feed 2 or 3 whilst my husband had 12 prawns on 2 pieces of french bread with some wilted rocket. There was no dressing on the prawns. I shared my linguine with him, to make him feel better lol. Again no chocolate ice-cream. When we signed for the bill I found we had been charged for an adult ice-cream for my son instead of a childs - but this was refunded.
We went to bed and again were woken at 4am, this time I went to the door and found 5 or 6 young men talking and laughing loudly to the girls right outside our door!! I told them we were trying to sleep and they said sorry, but were just a bit quieter, didn't go away. Yes i should have called reception, but I was just too sleepy to think of that...
Breakfast again was ok apart from the juice.
Sunday evening and there only seemed to be one woman who knew what she was doing! The very young staff were all over the place, and not in a good way. We had to ask for water 3 times before we got it, they had run out of chocolate fondant as well as the icecream, melon, and camembert. They have a very limited menu so these things made a big dent in the options available.The staff were giving the childrens chocolate cake to the adults as an option, and my husband had this, which was charged at the adult chocolate fondant price! Again food was delivered to the wrong tables, one of the waiters tried to give my children our wine, and when we got our food my husband had to fetch us some cutlery with which to eat it. We had to laugh as it was quite ridiculous,
In the morning breakfast was until 10.30am. We arrived at 9.15am. By the time we were seated there were no mushrooms, no tomato juice, no croissants, no cheese, and no fried eggs, but some eggs reappeared after 30 mins, but sadly no mushrooms. Something had even happened to the yogurt as it was super sharp. Good thing we didnt want any melon, camembert or something chocolatey..
When we checked out we told the receptionist our comments. Overall it is not a bad place,they try to put the hen and stag parties on one corridor away from the other guests, but cannot always tell when they book in under separate names as opposed to a group booking.
The staff were very young and inexperienced but willing, hopefully the new restaurant Manager will lick them into touch as she seemed very capable herself. As for the executive room, don't waste your money!
Would we go there again, no. We book Holiday Inn for value for money and for the pool. Neither of these things lived up to our fairly limited expectations.Maybe we have been spoilt when we visited the one in Chester which is fab!

Room Tip: Ask to be booked as far away from the stag and hen parties as possible
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lillyastar
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback on a very hectic weekend and as a team we do recognise there were some shortcomings to our normal restaurant service. As you say the new restaurant manager is more than capable of getting the team to deliver.
kind regards and sincere apologies
Norrie Oswald

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed here end of March 2012 for a mini break to look round Newcastle and Hadrian's Wall. Had an executive room which was very well equipped, quiet, and at least twice the size of a normal hotel room but didn't cost much more. We didn't want to drive into Newcastle so asked for advice at reception. The staff were extremely helpful and advised us to catch the bus just along the road from the hotel and gave us the timetable. Buses every 15 mins, only cost about £2 each way and took about 10-15 mins. The hotel is in a nice quiet location just minutes off the motorway and ideally situated for exploring the coast, inland and city. We had a lovely time in a beautiful part of the country.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are at least twice the size of a normal hotel room , very well equipped and quiet. T...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your lovely hotel comments and delighted to read that you loved the area, which is you say is beautiful and worth exploring.
kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager