“Great room, good staff”

Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park
Krakow, Poland
“Great room, good staff”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I liked this hotel, because it offers clean an neat rooms at a good price. I asked for a room overlooking the garden so it was quiet and cozy. The breakfast was ok, I would suggest adding more vegan options. The staff was nice except for one time when I asked for an iron and ironing board. They gave it to me, it was huge and heavy, I think they should bring it to my room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrzej G
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review from earlier in the year and I am pleased to see that your room was clean and good value. I was surprised to read that you were given and iron and ironing board (I assume from reception) as they are stored in housekeeping and normally delivered to the bedroom. Please accept my apologies and thank you for brining it to my attention. Have a great 2014. Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
Selkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent a nice over night stay at this hotel. Clean room staff very helpful and the food was good. So for us it was a very pleasant stay. As for this site wanting at least 200 words for a review well I think I have summed the hotel up very well.

Room Tip: We had a very early start in the morning but the waitress was superb and had every thing ready for u...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Souterman
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for your lovely positive feedback re the cleanliness, the good food and the teams helpfullness during your stay. We hope to welcome you back again on your next visit to the area.
Kind regards, Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Sheffield
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Visiting Newcastle over the weekend, this was the nearest IHG hotel with availability on the Saturday night. Some good points, some not so good, hence the rating and headline comment.

Initial impression is that some of the public areas could do with a refresh, carpet on the stairs to the first floor was extremely worn, for example. Door key card didn't work, had to have it recut. Room was tidy looking, but had the smallest double bed I've ever seen ... The room came with bathrobe & slippers, but I think that quality control had been omitted when placing them in the room, as the bathrobe looked and felt well past its 'comfort' date and in fact had a torn and ragged corner :-(

On the positive side, the hotel, though full, was quiet overnight, and warm! Breakfast was reasonably priced, there was a good selection of food and drink, and it was tasty. Staff were friendly and helpful, too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear e3sa934,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. It is very nice to now that you liked our breakfast selections. However, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations on some aspect of your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Myself and 4 of my friends stayed in this hotel for a weekend away in Newcastle. The hotel was 15 minutes taxi ride away from the centre which isn't bad. The hotel itself was very clean and nicely presented. We had dinner in the bar lounge area and the food was great. I could not fault this hotel at all! I will definitely stay at Holiday Inn in future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Thank you for your positive feedback and review after your recent weekend visit.
Your kind comments on the cleanliness and food in particular will be appreciated by the teams involved. Thank you again. Norrie Oswald, General Manager
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stayed here at the weekend with family. Have stayed here before a few years ago so knew the set up. I was impressed when walking into reception, it was modern and staff were very friendly. Our room had two double beds and the room was spacious, however it was very dated and the bathroom in particular was very cramped for family of 4.
We were on the ground floor and right at the end of the corridor, which I was thankful for as the hotel can get quite rowdy at the weekends with lots of folk going out in Newcastle. There is a strange mix around the hotel at weekends of familes and Geordie Shore wannabes!!

The swimming pool was awful! The changing rooms were freezing and very very dated and tired looking - we ended up wrapping kids in towels and running to our rooms to get a shower after swim!
The breakfast was good, good choice on offer and plenty for young kids to choose from.
All in all it was a decent stay, with a few improvements it could be a really nice middle of the range hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lochie2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Lochie2013,

Thank you for staying with us. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I Stayed here a couple of months ago with a couple of medical colleagues when we travelled up from Leeds to run in the Great North Run . While I knos its not specific to this hotel I think its shocking that all the hotels in the city put their rates up significantly when most people coming to the the city are doing the run for charity in our case cancer research uk. Since the rooms were overpriced and we did not want to waste huge amounts of sponsorship money on accommodation, which would defeat the purpose we decided to bunk up for the night. My mate assured us he had booked a triple room for 3 people, while the room was very comfortable and more crowne plaza standard than holiday Inn we were very disappointed that there were just 2 large double beds in the room, meaning two of us had to bunk up. Being young blokes we obviously just sleep in our birthday suits so this arrangement was not particularly ideal and waking up to the ugly sight of my mates hairy chest was not the prettiest sight in the morning!!! Good job we all knew each other well!!!!!, being serious however we feel the hotel should have some proper triple rooms with 3 beds for friends or family. The hotel has a decent healthclub with sauna and steam which was a nice way to chill out, we passed on the pool which was full of screaming kids on a saturday afternoon. There is also a cardio gym and a weights gym which one of the lads used and said it was ok. Reasonable restaurant where we had a quiet dinner. quality of food was good and we felt the prices were reasonable for a hotel of this calibre. One of the good things about this property is free car parking with plenty of spaces which you would not get in a more central property. We took a cab into the Toon for the race which we knew would be chaotic and came back to the hotel late on the sunday to pick up the car and drive home.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
gm_hinewcastle, General Manager at Holiday Inn Newcastle - Gosforth Park, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for your posting and congratulations on your Great North Run achievements. Our rooms are advertised as 2 double beds and I am confident if you check your friends booking he will have that information – maybe not aware of it, but has the information. We don’t have any plans to add single beds to our room stock in the near future. Thank you for your positive feedback re food and quality of the hotel.
Northamptonshire, UK
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here for one night at the end of October 2013.

On arrival the staff on reception were very welcoming and made the the check in process very fast and enjoyable.

I had an executive double room and the room was really big with plenty of space. It was fitted out with all of the modern facilities you would expect and the bed and pillows were really comfy.

I ate dinner at a pub a few miles away which was recommended by a friend but breakfast at the hotel was brilliant.

All in all a great hotel with wonderful staff and I shall certainly be staying with them again.

If you have trouble with mobility then be aware that this hotel has 2 floors and no lift. I am sure they would be happy to accommodate you on the ground floor.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Garya2404
Thank you for your lovely review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Executive rooms are particularly comfortable and come with some added treats to enhance your stay.
Half of the rooms are on the ground floor but you are right in that any special requirements should always be requested in advance otherwise it would be impossible to guarantee them. Thank you again