“Excellent customer service”

Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After reading some of the other reviews, I was a little concerned about the hotel. However there was no need. Our room was clean and comfortable and whilst the style of decor was a little dated, the room was in a good state of repair. We stayed for one night prior to an early morning flight from the nearby Newcastle Airport. We were travelling with a 20 month old toddler, which can be challenging at times, however the staff in the Chats bar were very helpful and thoughtful. Food was hotel price, but decent quality and served quickly. The requested travel cot wasn't set up prior to our arrival. However after a quick phone call, within 10 minutes a lovely member of staff was at the door, with an immaculate cot which he promptly set up with a full set of bedding and extra towels. Which trust me, doesn't happen in most hotels I have stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,103)

Reviewed 21 September 2012

On arrival at this out of town hotel, I was greeted by a 1960's concrete block with its dated net curtains and a wheel clamp sign. Having read the threats of not paying for my parking, I proceeded to reception.

The communal areas were surprisingly well appointed with nice decor and staff were friendly; I expected nothing else in the North East. Card key in hand, I proceeded to my room, the lift and corridors dating the hotel.

My room had a large confortable bed with a variety of pillows and crisp white sheets, the table lamps creating a cosy ambience. Iron, coffee making facilities, empty fridge, safe and plasma TV. Bathroom with over bath shower and lots of towels.

The problem with old hotels is the infrastructure: poor shower pressure, gurgling radiator hidden behind the curtains, slow sink drainage, telephones that are better suited to a museum. You get the picture.

In defence of Marriott, I like the way they use a curved shower rail to stop the curtain sticking to you and the heated mirror, free of condensation. It's the little things in life !

I detest however the large chain mentality of paying a high room price and then having to pay for all the extras like WiFi, a bottle of water and parking. At least with a low cost airline model the initial price is cheap, before they sting you for the extras.

I paid £10 for a cheese sandwich and coffee, opting to collect it rather than add the £3 tray charge and retired.

In summary, an old building and out of date concept, so would not rush back.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed here for one night with my partner as I was running the great north run. Hotel staff very pleasant, polite and helpful. They recommended places to eat, helped us with buses and metro. The room was very comfortable and airy. The pool and spa facilities were also good. There was an excellent choice for breakfast, just a shame I was limited to what and how much I could eat. The hotel is situated next to Newcastle racecourse and the bus stop is virtually outside. Overall a lovely hotel, I will certainly use it again next time I'm up north.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Just had an overnight to celebrate a family birthday and the hotel staff were fabulous. Nothing was too much trouble, very courteous and attentive but unobtrusive at the same time. Really appreciated the air con in the bedroom on one of this year's rare warm nights. Bedroom was perfect with a fridge if we wanted to put in our own hooch. Trouser press meant I looked presentable at dinner!The buffet style breakfast was served to a very civilised 11 am and it was all freshly cooked. I booked through Expedia and got a night for 2 and breakfast for £88. A bargain and I can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We used the Marriott when going to see the Olympic football in Newcastle when all the city centre hotels were charging stupid prices when I was booking. Our room rate included a dinner on the first night which was very good. The wine prices were silly though - don't these hotels realise that if the prices were more sensible, they'd sell more! The hotel is a bit dated - 70's style; but the room was comfy and the bed (as all Marriott's are) was super comfy. There was a smell of food in our room though as we were above the kitchen air conditioning. Breakfast was good and service friendly. The pool was nice. There's a bus stop just outside the hotel which gives easy access to Newcastle (but don't stand in the bus stop as it smells of wee!).

Room Tip: Avoid the ones over the air con units above the kitchen
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Well done the Marriott Our daughter got married on the 3rd August 2012 The hotel and service we received was excellent. The rooms were large very clean we brought our own champagne and they even gave us an ice bucket and glasses no problem. The room for the ceremony was lovely and Hilda who was the master of ceremony was fantastic. The wedding breakfast was very well presented. We had a buffet and DJ at night and that was just as good. The hotel gave our daughter and husband a botle of champagne and a large bouquet of flowers. Quite a few releatives and friends stayed the night and we all met at breakfast it was one of the best hotel breakfast we have ever had so much choice and all hot food hot plenty of cold meats and cheese, fruit and a choice of breads. Would recommend this hotel any time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lynnYorkEngland
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I would like to give FIVE stars to the staff, their support and consideration!!

I would like to give ONE star to the 'Marriott' influence, starting with the 'call centre' booking arrangements when a lady in Ireland, who knew nothing about the rooms or hotel simply told me that I HAD to use this system and could not book via the hotel reception.
Eventually I spoke to reception and eventually a duty manager only to be told that they were fully booked!!!!! This was clearly 'not true', I confirmed via 'late rooms.com. and, eventually, got a booking.

We were met on arrival by the duty manager, apologising for the booking experience and found ourselves in a beautiful, recently refurbished, twin room with a complimentary bottle of wine.
Our overall experience was excellent and the 40yr old 'Thistle' hotel still offers comfortable lounges and beautiful grounds BUT the majority of business appeared to be with coach parties of elderly people, obviously on a cheap rate (No wine with there meals!)

Breakfast was excellent, pleasant surroundings and service and a good selection.
In the evening the dining experience was disappointing, overpriced bar drinks, very limited table hotel menu and limited wine list. Our food was of mixed quality with a very over salted soup, an average chicken dish and some excellent Northumberland lamb, which seemed to share the same sauce. The wine waiter, very pleasant, knew nothing about wine and service was very slow although apologised for, " due to the large number of tour bus guests eating at the same time"
Our conclusion- a tourist eating place but not a gourmet restaurant.

As expected in a hotel of this age there were signs, including tarnished aluminium window frames. However the 2(TWO) ancient Otis lifts are a disgrace, badly serviced and inadequate! (As I have been European Director of Marketing for Otis I felt ashamed) Surely Marriot can afford a proper refurbishing job?

Yes, we would visit again, but mainly due to the support of the local staff!
With a bit of investment and a more personal IT/booking system Gosforth Park could still be one of the best places to stay in the Newcastle area!

Room Tip: Insist on the nature eg twin, double or suite and that it has been recently refurbished. After booki...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple