“We got married there”

Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We got married at the Marriott Hotel in August. Splendid venue, lovely scenery for photos in the woodlands and gardens etc.

Our meal was excellent, perfectly cooked and full of taste. The rooms are nice and comfortable, especially the luxury suite(s). Breakfast was very good and offered a lot of choice.

Staff and the service was second to none and very accomodating, and I'd certainly recommend it as one of the best hotels in the area. In a nice relaxed location that isn't all hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,095)

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Food was average, decor was ok if a little dated but service was poor. Three times we had to ask the waitress for the wine list. By the time we got any wine we were half way through the main course! They were very busy on the day and so we seemed to be packed in very tight. I was as close to the next table as I was to my companion. All in all very disappointing. I won't return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank EDED084
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed here last Saturday night, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. room excellent, heard very little noise, breakfast the next morning really good. I can reccomend this hotel, will visit again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I stayed here one night on a coach tour, often coach parties are made to feel inferior guests, but here we were made very welcome. The bedrooms were comfortable, the dinner good and the breakfast excellent. My only small grumble was the bedside light, not ideally suited for reading.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed here for a conference. As others have previously stated, this hotel is 'tired'. However the staff are amazing. It is a long time since I have met such helpful staff, who seem to take pride in their work and are genuinly helpful.
The rooms were clean and tidy and functional.
The leisure area was spotless, and I liked the steam room, aswell as sauna and jacuzzi.

My small complaints are
- The radiator is hidden behind a big heavy curtain, meaning that if you want heat you have to have the curtains open
- there is no heating the the bathroom, and although the bathrooms were beautifully tiled, the room is frigid cold (persoanl preferance here, I like my bathroom warm)
- the landings on the staircase have no numbers. If you take the stairs up and down you have to be awake otherwise you end up on the 3rd instead of 4th floor.(perhaps if I paid more attention/drank less this would not be an issue!)
- lack of vegetables with lunches and dinners. This could be blamed on the conference, but I think the hotel has a 'set' menu.
- the pool was too hot and small for 'real' swimming. However I overheard two ladies who obviously use it everyday saying it was too cold. And it is good that the hotel caters for locals and not visitors like me!

However all these are very small gripes, and I would definately stay here again if I was in the area

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HelenBNorway
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Having visit this hotel for a 3 day stop over, after traveling over 400 miles it was nice to be welcomed by friendly hotel staff. The room was excellent and as we booked in advance to bring our dog, the hotel receptionist couldn't be more helpful. We were situated well off the ground floor and the room was pleasant and quiet. The hotel grounds has ample walking areas for our dog, so exercising was no problem. The morning breakfast was ideal and plenty of choice from the breakfast buffet and cereals. The whole experience of taking a dog into a hotel was a delight and we all slept well. If other people are thinking of taking their pet away for a weekend break, I really recommend this hotel, but please let them know in advance.

Room Tip: Tell the receptionist that you intend to bring a pet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Coach59
Reviewed 1 October 2012

stayed at the Marriot on weekend of the 29th we had tickets booked to go and see Oliver at the theatre royal which by the way was fantastic.Usually stay in city centre hotels but opted for Marriot as it was cheaper we were not dissapointed the rooms are very clean and cosy yes a liitle bit dated but very comfortable. All the staff were very helpfull and the breakfast was amazing, yes there was a wedding or two on that night but the function rooms are set a little away from main restaurant an bar and did not find any noise a problem.The one and only problem I had was the price of the drinks in the bar area they are very expensive,but you can expect this in a hotel.We really enjoyed our two night stay hear and will deffinetly stop again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple