“Family spa stay”

Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Excellent facilities,free parking and spa with steam and dry sauna's, warm swimming pool and luxurious comfortable beds in and immaculate clean rooms.
Amazing breakfast with everything you could want! Very happy!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
janice_davison, Executive Personal Assistant at Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Thank you for the glowing report following your visit. We hope to be of service to you again at some time in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We stayed here for a 2 night break using our Tesco Club points. On checking in we were told that although a room had been reserved for us, it was not with Tesco points and we could not use them! The booking had been taken by a reservation line in Idaho Nebraska and I had stressed over and over again that I was using Tesco points. It was the agent's suggestion that we upgraded to a room with use of the executive lounge and as we had enough money in vouchers I willingly agreed. Evidently we should just have had a standard room. The manager came to sort out the problem and she was very pleasant and had everything dealt with immediately and we went on to enjoy our stay. Perhaps the booking agents in America need a little extra training!
The hotel reception, bars and restaurant were very nicely furnished and it was a pleasant place to sit for a drink in the evening.
Our room was also nicely furnished but seemed a little worn. The chair could have done with a new cover and there were scuff marks on walls and skirting boards. The bathroom was well appointed with lovely toiletries but again, the grouting around the bath need attention. Just small things but could have been a big improvement. We were supposed to get mineral water in the room but there wasn't any on arrival although it was there the next day. There was also only one bath robe but 2 pairs of slippers.
Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice and everything replenished regularly. Only complaint was the temperature in the restaurant- it was boiling hot!
All in all a pleasant stay and would have been "excellent" if there had been just a little more attention to detail. I know we could have complained but after the trouble at check in we were just glad to have the room we had booked

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet- no noise at all, in spite of the hotel being near the road
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments which will certainly be taken on board and used to further enhance our guest's experience. We were pleased that our Manager was able to resolve the issue with the terms of your reservation and trust that the confusion at the booking stage did not spoil your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Rooms were a good size. Very clean throughout room and bathroom. Breakfast first day disappointing. Ran out of some items and others seemed to have been out for ages. Second day breakfast much better. Restaurant was exceptionally warm both days. Staff friendly throughout stay. Excellent leisure facilities.

• Stayed: February 2014
janice_davison, Executive Personal Assistant at Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We were very grateful for your feedback and were delighted to learn of the positive comments regarding your stay with us.

We were however very concerned that we let ourselves down with regard to your breakfast experience on the first day and hope that we managed to redeem ourselves on the second as it is certainly not our intention to disappoint our guests.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to be of service to you again at some time in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Had 2 rooms over the weekend. Pre check in service was very good, with emails from the hotel asking if there were any special requests & offering an interconnecting room, plus they extended check out to 1pm free of charge. Nice, clean rooms, but in one the air con didn't work & despite turning the radiator off it blasted out heat. The staff tried to fix it but to no avail, however they didn't actually offer to do anything other than get a fan. They also had to get us a new remote. Would have thought at a 4* hotel these things would not have cropped up. The hotel was packed for Valentine's weekend, and we were pretty tired after a 4 1/2 hour drive, so we didn't ask to change rooms. Had room service dinner which was actually very nice & the film package (£9.50 for 3 films) was good value & helped keep my daughter entertained. Beds were fabulously comfy! The really disappointing thing with the hotel was the chaos at breakfast. The restaurant was red hot, packed, staff running around with too many people to look after, buffet food was running out and twice I had to queue whilst the stock was replenished. The staff seemed overwhelmed. I just don't find it good enough to have an experience like this at a 4* hotel. It's a real shame as the hotel itself is lovely & in the exact area I need to be to visit family. Having said all of that, I would return but would not want to pay the going rate for the rooms, they just didn't seem worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014
janice_davison, Executive Personal Assistant at Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Whilst we were very pleased to learn of the positive elements of your stay, we were equally concerned to learn of the shortcomings experienced. We greatly appreciate your taking the time to bring these matters to our attention as this now allows us the opportunity to remedy all concerns.

Your breakfast experience falls short of our normal high standards and I would ask that you accept our apologies for the disappointing elements of your stay with us.

We were pleased to learn that you would return, and I would ask that you feel free to contact me at the hotel when you have the opportunity to revisit and I will ensure that we do our utmost to ensure you enjoy your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and we look forward to being of service to you again at some time in the near future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We drive up to Durham every few months on Business and have been trying some of the local hotels.
We don't go for the most expensive , but I do like a swim and spa in the evenings.
So, although this is quite a bit out of our way; I thought we would spend the extra pennies and go for a Marriott Experience. Needless to say I was disappointed , the hotel need a good refurbishment.

It has a drab atmosphere and feels more like a 2 star, then a 4 star hotel. I wished I 'd stuck to the Holiday inn then travelled the extra miles to get to this hotel.

Sorry , to say I was not impressed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
janice_davison, Executive Personal Assistant at Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Guest,

We were greatly troubled to learn of the disappointment surrounding your recent visit, as it is always our intention to ensure our guests fully enjoy their stay.

The hotel is tranditional and guests are offered a high standard of maintenance and cleanliness, coupled with service provided by a friendly and professional team. It is therefore very concerning that we failed to meet your expectations and I hope you will accept our apologies.

I hope the hotel's attributes will encourage you to return at some time in the near future when we look forward to being of service to you.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

This is the first time that I stayed at this Hotel and it was based on the recommendation of others.

At check in there was a very friendly person offering a glass of wine and a chocolate truffle whilst checking in which was a 'first' and it worked, as I began to let go of the day immediately. Check in was fast and efficient.

It is clear that this is not the newest hotel but I have to give the hotel credit, it is very well maintained and above all it is clean. You notice that immediately when you come into your room. This is something that very few other hotels manage to achieve even when they are a lot newer than this one. The bed was also extremely comfortable.

Check out in the morning was extremely fast and efficient. Will I stay here again - absolutely.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

over the years I have stayed at this hotel many times. I stayed on the 30th January 2014 and as per usual found the staff very professional, helpful and above all happy. To see a welcome smile after driving 300 miles to get there makes all the difference. Plenty of parking spaces, and the location of the hotel is a great jump off point for a lot of local attractions as well as great shopping.The rooms are very clean and comfortable. stayed in an exec room and enjoyed the use of the exec lounge after my evening meal well worth the visit. Could not comment on the spa as I did not use it, but as spa's are not my thing I did not feel I missed out. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
janice_davison, Executive Personal Assistant at Newcastle Marriott Hotel Gosforth Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you for your very kind words. We take great pleasure in ensuring guests have an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to being of assistance to you again.