“Excellent”

City Sightseeing Newcastle
Ranked #10 of 19 Tours in Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Did the bus tour today, something which I have wanted to do for years. Full tour took an hour and was well worth the money.

You don't appreciate the beautiful buildings and history we have right on our door step, learnt lots about the city, took some fantastic pictures and just thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Would recommend to anyone and not just visitors to the area!

1  Thank Andrea-Washington
"friendly driver"
"takes about an hour"
"central station"
in 5 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"well worth the money"
"quayside"
in 7 reviews
"tyne"

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Firstly the timetables are confusing, as a previous reviewer said. We got on at the station but later than we had wanted so it was 12.30 before we started the tour. We went upstairs on the bus but the quality of the sound was very poor, in the end my husband went down to the driver and asked for the sound to be turned up which improved it a bit. We got off to look round the Baltic and when we came out discovered that there were no more buses after 3.30 so we didn't even manage to go around the city once. A very expensive 30 minute trip, 3 x £8.00. We have done this type of tour in other cities which were much more satisfactory. Would not recommend. Or if you decide you want to try it start early then go all the way round to start with then get on and off as you wish.

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I would like to give this a five but there was one thing I didn't like aboit the tour. The confusing summer and spring timetables. Because my husband needed to check his metro ticket, we missed the train to connect with the 11.30 bus from Bewick Street. I then looked on my schedule and the next bus is not for an hour, even though the timetable on the website shows both service A and B side by side every half hour. I had lunch booked so I was unable to get on the 12.30pm. After lunch which I had to change the time to fit the last bus in at 2.30pm, I got on the bus. In my opinion, 2.30pm is too early to stop running this bus. I think 4pm would be better. On getting on the bus I did enjoy myself. A very good trip around Newcastle's interesting places and Gateshead. The tour would've been good as hop on hop off, but for it being the last bus so I was unable to hop back on anything if I chose to hop off. I would like to do this properly and get off at the galleries and museums. One day. Hopefully can do this if they sort the timetable better. It may have worked better if I had been able to get on the early morning buses, but if you are on holiday in April or May and want a lie in, you will miss the bus or miss lunch, such is the structuring of the spring timetable.

1  Thank Mintyburble
Reviewed 22 October 2013

The 50 minutes this hop on hop off tour took was a great introduction to Newcastle. Lots of interesting information and sights that will be revisited over the next couple of days. We thought the tour was well priced. The ticket lasts for 24 hours.

1  Thank terryandhelen
See more reviews
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Bought 2 e-tickets ('e' as in electronic) for this when we were staying in the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead. We thought great, we can pick the bus us from the sage which is 2 min walk from the hilton. Bought this direct from the companies website, not a 3rd party.

Took out iPhones with the e-ticket. Drive refused to even look at it and told us he needed paper copy. We both thought this was a nonsense, surely the point of an e-ticket is that you don't need paper copes. Sort of in the name. Slightly pissed, we walked back to the hotel, had them print copies of the e-ticket and waited for the next bus. 20 mins later it turn up, however the guy wouldn't take our printed out copy of the e-ticket and said (rather rudely and in a tone that suggested he did not give two s***s) we had to go to the main ticket office (no explanation as to where this was). Why would that be necessary???? When one of the marketed feature of the tour is the fact you can hop on & hop off. What is the point in making us go somewhere in the middle of town to get on the bus? Felt royally mucked about in several ways.

For the sake of my blood pressure and to insure we didn't breech the peace at any point, we Stayed in Gateshead and wandered round the market and went to a few bars and never bothered using the tour. A complete waste on my money and time. Won't touch this company again in any city as a result.

I can't rate the actual tour as we were refused entry to it after paying for tickets.

3  Thank offononereviews