Review Highlights
Fun way to explore the town

This is an open top bus tour of Newcastle. The first boarding point is just by the Gotham bar, not... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
SevenoaksSinjun
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Don't Miss the Bus.....

This is classed as hop on hop off bus experience,however with them running once an hour..its a hop... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
KevinandLou
Durham, United Kingdom

All reviews open top bus your bearings friendly driver bus tour central station the upper deck highly recommend this tour contemporary art baltic centre millennium bridge commentary stops overview newcastle quayside tyne
Reviewed 7 June 2014

An excellent way to see the city
Buses every half hour with many stops on the route.
Very good commentary on board.
One day ticket allows you to,get on and off where ever you like as many times aaas you like.
Very friendly drivers. Very good value for money.

1  Thank Sandynick2013
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you've done one of these before, expect no more and no less.

Arrived in Newcastle by train at 12.45 on a Sunday Bank Holiday having travelled up from Chesterfield for the day. Had done some internet homework the night before by checking out the timetables, location of the start, route and fares before we set off; this helps immensely so I recommend doing it. By the time we had negotiated the station concourse, found the toilets and made our way to the outside, the bus was just passing the station. The driver must have sensed what we were planning and pointed across the road so we did as directed, the bus did a right and a right and pulled in as hoped into the bus stop over the road from the station. By now it was 1pm.

Having read other reviews too, we sat near a speaker - it works. There was only about a dozen people on the bus and with the weather not being great, most were sat under the covered section of the front upper deck. I am a mature student so I presented my card for a concessional £6 but conveniently omitted to mention my wife wasn't - so it cost £12 for the 2 of us rather than the £16 it would have cost someone who had been entirely honest. So sorry.

The route does a sort of double figure 8 round the city, down to the quayside, up the other side via the swing bridge into Gateshead and back via the Tyne Bridge. We got off at the Millennium Bridge and walked down the quayside, passed under the Tyne Bridge [very quickly as some berk had thrown a drink down from the bridge only moments before we got there] and called into the Wetherspoons Quayside pub for a swift refreshment.

Good job we didn't stop for lunch. Its right what the other punters say here, the service finishes too early. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes to walk from the pub up to catch the last bus at 15.32 from the Guildhall; a 20 minute rejoinder around The Baltic touching on Gateshead mostly spent waiting at traffic lights and we were back at the station for 16.00 hrs. This was effectively the last bus.

Had the weather been a little better, it would have nice to have spent a little longer around the quayside, perhaps take in a pub lunch and do a bit of people watching as there is little to do in the main town after 4pm. Well I say there isn't much to do.

A substantial contingent of the locals had taken to dressing up in fancy dress and embarking on a pub crawl around the city and were steadily, or perhaps I should say, unsteadily making their way around the upper town and getting systematically chucked out of every pub they were choosing to frequent.

Some villages and towns around the country have fetes to select a May Queen; they have quaint but traditional Maypoles and Morris Dancing stuff on their May Bank Holiday. Here in the North they are made of stronger stuff it seems. Don't get me wrong, I'm partial to a few beers myself.

Its just I didn't realise that I'd visited the city on Geordie Cirrhosis Enhancement Day.

1  Thank JackcomebackDawson
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This bus is quite reasonably priced as far as hop-on-hop-off tour buses go (£6 for students). It gave a good overview of the city, although it was hard to hear the narration unless you sit very close to the speakers.

It would be nice to see this bus travel a little farther into Gateshead. Although it says Newcastle-Gateshead on the side, it hardly touches Gateshead.

1  Thank flaed87
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Did the bus tour today, something which I have wanted to do for years. Full tour took an hour and was well worth the money.

You don't appreciate the beautiful buildings and history we have right on our door step, learnt lots about the city, took some fantastic pictures and just thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Would recommend to anyone and not just visitors to the area!

1  Thank Andrea-Washington
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Firstly the timetables are confusing, as a previous reviewer said. We got on at the station but later than we had wanted so it was 12.30 before we started the tour. We went upstairs on the bus but the quality of the sound was very poor, in the end my husband went down to the driver and asked for the sound to be turned up which improved it a bit. We got off to look round the Baltic and when we came out discovered that there were no more buses after 3.30 so we didn't even manage to go around the city once. A very expensive 30 minute trip, 3 x £8.00. We have done this type of tour in other cities which were much more satisfactory. Would not recommend. Or if you decide you want to try it start early then go all the way round to start with then get on and off as you wish.