“A Tour of Newcastle”

City Sightseeing Newcastle
Ranked #11 of 20 Tours in Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I decided to go on this tour bus as have enjoyed other tours by the same company in other cities, I found this tour interesting though at times it was difficult to hear what the commentry was saying hence why I rated it very good instead of my usual excellent.

I would still go on again and hopefully I'll get another chance sometime, only thing I would say is that it could do with live commentry, that's my only complaint.

All reviews
"central station"
in 5 reviews
"the upper deck"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"contemporary art"
in 7 reviews
"tyne"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We tend to always use this group when travelling, the bonus of the hop-on hop-off means that you can learn something about the city whilst still getting around from place to place!

The tour was interesting, but the timings were a little restrcited (last one about 15.30 if i remember correctly), hence the marked down to "good".

The commentary was interesting and the driver pleasant and helpful, just not as good as other cities (Dublin, Madrid, Barcelona) which we've done similar trips with before!

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Having read previous reviews, I agree with the problems to do with the level of sound - it was a sunny but windy day so the volume was turned up high - this however meant the commentary was very fuzzy and at times difficult to hear! Nonetheless it was an enjoyable way to see Newcastle - the whole tour takes an hour to complete. Definetley try and sit near a speaker, although if you want to sit outside, this isn't possible!

1  Thank butterflybarbie
Reviewed 7 June 2014

An excellent way to see the city
Buses every half hour with many stops on the route.
Very good commentary on board.
One day ticket allows you to,get on and off where ever you like as many times aaas you like.
Very friendly drivers. Very good value for money.

1  Thank Sandynick2013
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2014

If you've done one of these before, expect no more and no less.

Arrived in Newcastle by train at 12.45 on a Sunday Bank Holiday having travelled up from Chesterfield for the day. Had done some internet homework the night before by checking out the timetables, location of the start, route and fares before we set off; this helps immensely so I recommend doing it. By the time we had negotiated the station concourse, found the toilets and made our way to the outside, the bus was just passing the station. The driver must have sensed what we were planning and pointed across the road so we did as directed, the bus did a right and a right and pulled in as hoped into the bus stop over the road from the station. By now it was 1pm.

Having read other reviews too, we sat near a speaker - it works. There was only about a dozen people on the bus and with the weather not being great, most were sat under the covered section of the front upper deck. I am a mature student so I presented my card for a concessional £6 but conveniently omitted to mention my wife wasn't - so it cost £12 for the 2 of us rather than the £16 it would have cost someone who had been entirely honest. So sorry.

The route does a sort of double figure 8 round the city, down to the quayside, up the other side via the swing bridge into Gateshead and back via the Tyne Bridge. We got off at the Millennium Bridge and walked down the quayside, passed under the Tyne Bridge [very quickly as some berk had thrown a drink down from the bridge only moments before we got there] and called into the Wetherspoons Quayside pub for a swift refreshment.

Good job we didn't stop for lunch. Its right what the other punters say here, the service finishes too early. It takes about 5 - 10 minutes to walk from the pub up to catch the last bus at 15.32 from the Guildhall; a 20 minute rejoinder around The Baltic touching on Gateshead mostly spent waiting at traffic lights and we were back at the station for 16.00 hrs. This was effectively the last bus.

Had the weather been a little better, it would have nice to have spent a little longer around the quayside, perhaps take in a pub lunch and do a bit of people watching as there is little to do in the main town after 4pm. Well I say there isn't much to do.

A substantial contingent of the locals had taken to dressing up in fancy dress and embarking on a pub crawl around the city and were steadily, or perhaps I should say, unsteadily making their way around the upper town and getting systematically chucked out of every pub they were choosing to frequent.

Some villages and towns around the country have fetes to select a May Queen; they have quaint but traditional Maypoles and Morris Dancing stuff on their May Bank Holiday. Here in the North they are made of stronger stuff it seems. Don't get me wrong, I'm partial to a few beers myself.

Its just I didn't realise that I'd visited the city on Geordie Cirrhosis Enhancement Day.

1  Thank JackcomebackDawson