“Good wine, shame about the food :-(”
Review of The Brandling Arms

The Brandling Arms
Ranked #357 of 1,332 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: US$9 - US$16
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Set back from the hustle and bustle of Gosforth High Street, The Brandling Arms is a real home-from-home. With our top-notch pub food, outstanding range of speciality drinks, our large west facing front garden and relaxing family-friendly atmosphere, you'll realise we don't do things by halves!
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This is the first time I've been for food since the refurbishment with 4 other girls to drinks and dinner catch up. Drinks good as usual (20% off Tuesday) and enjoyed the outside space. Moved inside for food. Waited quite a while and when it arrived was really disappointed. The bun (chicken burger) had disintegrated due to liquid so couldn't really eat it and was all sloppy on the plate. The salted chocolate caramel tart lacked its usual flavour. Don't know if changed chef or supplier but really gone downhill which I'm disappointed about.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Popped in for a drink recently. Pub was almost empty. Only one barman visible, spent a long time putting together an order for the customer in front of me. then two female bar staff appeared, one a trainee, one clearly not. They ignored me completely, spent several minutes gawping at the barman, then left. Eventually they returned, and asked 'who's next'. When I began making my order, the woman interrupted me saying "I was in the middle of serving her earlier" pointing to a customer behind me; who proceeded to make a long and complex order - at least, I presume it was, the time it took the staff to process it. At last, they condescended to serve me. Didn't have what I wanted.

Dreadful, rude service. Also - given the length of time the pub had been shut for renovations, I expected rather more change inside. I don't mind that it hadn't changed much, buut I did feel they might have given it a proper clean. It smelt - musty. Loing eaten meals. Spilled beer.

When I have visited in the past, it was OK though significantly more expensive than equally good or better pubs nearby.

I shall not be returning.

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Lovely atmosphere both inside and outside of the pub, lovely food and a great choice of drinks as well. Staff very friendly and approachable which is always a bonus too!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Very cool outdoor area, great menu full of quality and very friendly staff. I travel a lot, and always look for a quality pub, this one ticks all the boxes.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I've visited the Brandling a few times over the years. A decent range of beers and good quality pub food experience has vanished with the recent revamp. We sat outside on Saturday night and fancied some snacks to go along with beers. It was only around 7pm and two of the five or six snacks from the menu weren't available, which seems a bit odd that early on their busiest night. They also asked for a table number but there wasn't one on it. We spotted some tables had white chalk numbers on, but others must have rubbed off - how stupid is that?!

We each ordered chorizo with focaccia bread and a portion of chips. We had to wait for an hour, which was OK as it was a nice night, but nobody else outside was eating, so why such a long wait?

When it came it was disappointing to say the least. Five lumps of chorizo, each burned completely black on one side, in a small bowl splattered all round the inside in orange grease. It had obviously been microwaved. The bread was toasted, thin and tasteless. £5.50 for each portion. The chips were OK, but in something like a tea cup. They were gone in a flash, so few were there. No way was that worth 8 quid each.

Very disappointing, and judging by others reviews it looks like the food side if things is a complete shambles. I won't be eating there again.

1  Thank David M