“do not bother!”

Rosebery Hotel Jesmond
leeds
“do not bother!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

this hotel charged me for 2 nights i did not stay. the receptionist is a disgrace. she cancelled bookings over the phone yet they went ahead to debit account. its shocking how they get away with these poor services. manager is a disgrace and very unhelpful. and i didnt get any refund till date. i pity any one taking the risk to lodge in this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
14 Thank scott m m
124susi, Owner at Rosebery Hotel Jesmond, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
The hotel has terms and conditions which are reasonable and fair, as does every hotel. If guests cancel within the cancellation period, then they abide by those terms and conditions agreed to at the time of booking.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
newbury
Reviewed 22 October 2013

As we were about to board our flight to Newcastle we received a call saying the receptionist was ill so we would had to let ourselves in, were given the door code and told where our room keys would be. We paid a lot for an en suite room, however, there was absolutely no hot water so we could not bath prior to going to our son's 21st birthday. There was nobody at reception either when we arrived or when we left the next day. I have tried many times to call the hotel but nobody answers and it says the voice mail is full! I have written to the Manager and had no reply. Our room was very expensive and it was the worse service we have ever had and not to be able to bath is outrageous. At the very least I would expect an apology and a part refund but the management seem to have disappeared!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank tara h
The hotel has been closed since September 1st 2013 and does not re open until the 17th March 2014. No guests have been accepted during this time. This review is clearly at attempt to damage the business. We are aware of it and It is being pursued via the appropriate legal channels. If you wish to see legitimate reviews from guests that have stayed, please visit other portals.
Long buckby
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay 9/10 August back inJuly as I was having an operation at the Freeman, we have stayed here before.
Unfortunately the Freeman postponed my operation on the 6th August,which was a bit of a surprise to say the least, we rang the hotel to let them know, and that we would rebook as soon as we have a new date; we were told it was within the 3 day cancellation period therefore there may be a charge...it was 3 hours within that period!!...
We were told the manager would ring us back, a call was missed...and so we rang again, once again we was told our message would be passed on.
On the 12 August 2 nights accommodation was debited from our bank account without any discussion, I could understand I night ( although it would be uncaring)...but 2 nights is frankly disgusting, I have NEVER come across such a cold hearted attitude for business, especially from one that boasts on its website that it cares for relatives staying at the Freeman...all these people care about is money. The ironic thing is we would have rebooked, as would other relatives who also had to cancel their rooms...but not within 72 hours!!
It's worrying and expensive enough everyone having to travel from Northamptonshire to enable me to have treatment which I would not be alive without, but then on top of all this worry we are being blatantly robbed by those that offer support, yes it may be close to the Freeman, but they are morally a world away.
And so I am still waiting for my operation that was postponed as they needed the theatre for a more urgent case,I am getting sicker by the day, I am in pain and unable to eat...but also unable to stomach the despicable treatment by these people profiting on others pain.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Cas194
124susi, Owner at Rosebery Hotel Jesmond, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
The Rosebery Hotel, as like any hotel, has terms of business when reserving with the hotel, which are clearly stated on the website. These terms are reasonable and fair.
Hornchurch,Essex
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and I really want to give it a good review. Unfortunately aspects of the administration are not good, and this does detract from the aesthetics. I booked two nights to attend my sons graduation and wanted a double and a single. When I spoke with the owner on the phone to make the booking some months ago she gave me a good deal for the large double and small double, they use the small doubles for single occupancy, as we were staying for two nights. She also said that as I had stayed before she would ensure that we had one of their better rooms. At the Rosebery there is a 2.5% charge if you pay with a card, to avoid this I was advised to pay cash. At the time of booking I informed them that we would be arriving after 9pm and I was told that I would be given a code for the front door and that our room keys would be in a drawer just inside the front hall.

The day before we were due to arrive I phoned the hotel to confirm our arrival the next day and was asked to send them an email. The email response came quite quickly and gave me the code for the door as promised and said that we had been allocated room 18, the double and room 2 as the single. Having checked out the website I was pleased to see that 18 was indeed one of their larger rooms, that it was on the ground floor and had a beautiful and spacious bathroom.

Arrived at 9.30pm and found that the room keys were for rooms 1 and 14. 14 was the single on the first floor and had a nice bathroom with both a shower and a lovely hip bath. Room 1 was on the top floor under the eaves and was roasting hot. The room itself was pretty though small,and the bathroom had a small shower but very little room to manoeuvre. The website has a picture of this room in the single room category, so I guess it is classified as a small double. The night porter said that he was unable to assist, and that in any event the hotel was full. To add insult to injury there was in invoice in the room advising that payment had been taken from my card along with the 2.5% charge. I had brought cash. The next day after breakfast, very nice by the way although some of the cereal was stale, I spoke to the young lady who seems to run things and explained the issues and how I was not very happy. She told me that it was not hotel policy to allocate rooms in advance and she couldn't explain why I had received an email doing just that. The young lady was very sweet, and when I suggested a move to another, larger room she said she would look into this and get back to me in 20 minutes. We were moved into room 18, the room we should have had, within 30 minutes. The young lady had spoken with the owner but asked me if I could forward the email I had received as they could not find it on the system. I decided not to take offence at what sounded like I was being disbelieved, and produced the printed out email that I had fortunately brought with me.

To sum up the Rosebery is a beautiful boutique hotel in a lovely part of Jesmond away from the noise of Osbourne Road. The owners have a terrific eye for interior design and each room is different and pretty. But please don't promise beautiful airy spacious rooms to people and then deliver the servants quarters.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank quizbunny
Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights mid week. It's a delightful little hotel in the Jesmond area of Newcastle. The personal service and the late check-in service were great. If we were to come back to Newcastle, would definitely be staying there again..

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Rosebery Hotel offers a truly delightful experience offering beautiful and original decor, comfy beds, stunning breakfasts and attentive and friendly service. Recently visiting relatives in Newcastle the hotel provided us, my husband and 2 boys with the perfect base. The ample family room with a fab double bed and 2 singles that double'd up as the place to watch tv and play games comfortably in the evening for all 4 of us. The bathroom and its large Victorian bath was a cause of huge excitement for the kids! All your hearts desire was catered for, within reason of course but tea, coffee, hot chocolate and fresh milk were available all the time, and some good biscuits too. As an extreme digital family the free wifi was a godsend and some big chain places could learn a lesson from this approach, I travel often without the family with work and somewhere that provides this level of service and attention to detail would get my vote anytime over any big chain hotel. The breakfast and the infinite combinations from the menu was excellent, all cooked fresh with great produce. This could not have been better, great value and place that does not make you feel bad for having 2 slightly messy boys in
tow. Please try it, I promise you won't regret it!

• Stayed May 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights as we were collecting our son's stuff from uni. It was chosen by him as it was the closest hotel to his flat and also he wanted to know what it was like on the inside having walked past it almost daily for a year. We were pleased with his choice and had a very comfortable stay.

Our bedroom was a double on the top floor. I am sure that the decor and accoutrements are to some people's taste, they certainly could not be described as minimal. Mirrors seemed to be a theme running through the property. The bathroom mirror rather scarily gave you multiple images of your visage from a variety of angles. Ironically when I tried to dry my hair there was no mirror next to a power point or above the dressing table!

Breakfast was generous, however the experience was somewhat marred by firstly the waiting for a table in the slightly cramped dining room to become free and then by an over sensitive fire alarm which the poor girl's serving could not turn off. This experience was made up for by the hotel providing us an early continental breakfast the next day to help ourselves to. We didn't dare use the toaster provided in case we set off the fire alarm at 5.30am.

I would recommend the hotel for a comfortable short stay in a non chain hotel, but not if you are into the minimalist look!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family