“Excellent Location - but avoid the Nightclub side on Fri/Sat Nights”

Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The most important thing to say about the Premier Inn is that I was placed in a room directly across from the entrance to the night club opposite on a Friday night, and the hubbub was such that I didn’t get to sleep until approx 02.30.
If you have a hotel facing a nightclub like this, then you simply have to have better sound insulation.

Fortunately, I was in Newcastle for a 15.00 football match, and was therefore able to take advantage of the 12.00 checkout to claw-back some of my missed sleep – and the hotel gave me a full refund with very little question on Saturday morning, which is a large reason why this review is so positive, despite my issues.

The hotel is a large, hulking, Premier Inn convert, rather than a new build, perched on the edge of the city centre, up against the A167(M), a short walk from Monument Metro Station, 15 minutes from St James’s Park and the station, and a similar distance downhill to the quayside and Baltic/Sage in Gateshead.

The room was small, with little space around a king-size bed and a small, but functional, bathroom. As ever with Premier Inn, everything was clean and the fixtures and fittings were in good condition.

The public areas were well-lit and in good condition, with a large restaurant and 2 separate bar areas, and an integral multi-storey car park that offers free-parking from 17.00-08.00 (albeit the car park is locked 00.00-07.00) and a reasonable day-rate from hotel reception.

I would be happy to return on a weeknight or if the hotel could assure me of a room away from the nightclub at the weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the nightclub at weekends.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Will-HE_UK
There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We booked here for 3 nights during the sale so for the price we paid it was an okay deal, we have stayed at a few premier inns and always been delighted but unfortunately this one is a little tired and could do with some refurbishment, we found it relatively easily and the parking is plentiful.

On check in we were directed to our room and paid for the following days parking to avoid having to get up early the following morning, the rooms are small although clean, with a very small television at a level to make it difficult to watch when in bed, the road noise is a constant drone but you do get used to it eventually. The bed is the most uncomfortable I have experienced and when I mentioned it to reception in the morning was told that they were all the same, I did ask if it was possible to move rooms and unfortunately again we were told they were all the same and we were on the quieter side of the hotel......if you want a central location in the city then this is ideal, if you want somewhere you can relax then don't choose this hotel, there are plenty that are better in the same price bracket when this is at standard room rate...

Can't fault the cleanliness or the staff in the restaurant/bar, shame we can't say the same about the reception staff.....

We wouldn't return to this one but we will stay in a premier inn again, as normally they are fantastic value..

2  Thank Gary534
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

There was sick down the side of the bed dried in, the heating wasn't working so had a portable heater which didn't heat the room either! There was blue liquid on the sink area hairs in the bath. The shower wasn't powerful at all and hardly got hot! Last of all the main light kept flicking on an off! The staff weren't very helpful or friendly! Normally use this hotel but after this stay we will reconsider! Not your usual standard!!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank julian1112
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a clean and comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

First time staying here, I normally stay at Millenium Bridge Premier Inn which is much better. Not easy find as it's up a lane and parking is not easy.There is a NCP one next door but it was evening during the week so you might struggle for a space.

. Room was really really small glad it was only one night. ! Food Is usual Premier Inn which is fine.but first thing is was met with was "we've run out of pineapple for gammon steak". I hadn't asked for gammon steak so would probably have been better not to teller. Next "we're a bit busy so main will take at least 25 minutes" and it did. Asked if I wanted coffee with desert coffee came 20 minutes before dessert so it was cold by the time I got dessert. During my stay I was called .. Mate... buddy..man.. and my love which is not very professional .. And why did they feel the need to draw a smiley face on my bill? Wouldn't stay here again unless I had to.

Room Tip: High floor as far away from traffic and street noise it's close to pubs and clubs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was my first trip to Newcastle, and I'm glad that my friend and I picked this Premier Inn. You may not get luxury, but you do get comfort -(lovely comfortable beds), and excellent staff, who are willing to go the extra mile to help. I left a particularly valuable, (to me), mp3 player behind, and the staff ensured that it was returned to me! I would recommend the hotel highly to anybody, (apart from all of the above), it is very central and convenient to all the down town amenities, shops, restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: We where on the 7th floor, with a lovely view over the city. It was also noise free.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Decided to travel to Newcastle by rail to attend Andre Rieu Concert - Premier Inn lived up to our expectations and more - really comfortable room with super comfortable bed - check in easy - no problems at all although food could have been more appetising in restaurant - would definitely stay again

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed there on Wed night cost £39 pre booked. Had a lovely stay, very friendly helpful reception staff and enjoyed the shopping. Beware, it is in a back street, very hard to find, if you arrive by train get a taxi. We went out shopping in the daylight but when we wanted to go back to the hotel it was dark and no one in the street seemed to know where we were on about(probably our own fault). Anyway would stay again now I know where it is. The restaurant was much better than, for instance, the brewers fayre next to Premier Inn at Filton, Bristol.

Room Tip: There are no ground floor rooms but there is lifts.
1  Thank Peter W