“Not a very good Hotel.”
Review of Kenilworth Hotel

Kenilworth Hotel
Reviewed 28 October 2012

On arrival checked in at the bar as there didnt appear to be a reception. Place looked very tacky, it was a mish mash of different styles of furniture and the floor of the bar area looked like it hadnt seen a clean in days. Went upstairs to the room and the decor was nice. I attempted to take a shower but the hot water was not hot at all, it was very cold. I mentioned this later on in the evening whilst having a drink in the bar. The bar tender wasnt very helpfull, infact hes was very ignorant. He basicaly made some excuse about the heating been sorted out the next day. I then went out to a local eatery and got the shock of My life. The bar was very busy I discovered when went back to my room to sleep that I could not sleep for the noise coming from below. Did eventualy get to sleep at about 3 am. Very annoyed as I had to be at my best for a meeting the next morning. I mentioned this to the breakfast staff the next mornng ,bacon was hard and the sausage was over cooked as was the egg. Not a very good hotel at all I would not reccomend this hotel to any of My freinds. It was like Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I have stayed in Jesmond before and its a very nice area. This hotel was disappointing however.. arriving through the back from the carpark the stairs were dirty and led into a very dark bar where reception was.. the bar! Gentleman there was friendly and welcoming but once I got to the room I was very disappointed. It smelt of drains and all the windows were painted shut so no possibility of any fresh air. The heating was also on full so very hot. The bed was OK, clean sheets. Shower was rubbish, to get any power it had to be freezing! Breakfast was OK and the lady serving was very pleasant. So on the whole.. perhaps a good hotel for someone looking for budget accomodation but I would not stay there again and wouldn't recomend it to any solo travellers especially women.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Lovely welcome from staff. Super breakfast only one girl working poor thiing she worked so hard. Needs a good lick of paint especially the bedrooms. Bathrooms very good. Very spacious rooms however beds/matteress needs changing. Bar too dark needs light not my decor at all. Lots of tea and coffee staff can do enough for you. Not a four star more like a two..

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed for 1 night & the staff couldn't have been more helpfull,the room was spacious & clean with plenty of tea,coffee & biscuits,we even got our full english breakfast delivered to our room,will definately stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Sounded better than it was. A converted house in a area with a lot of Hotels. Very tired and needs a refurb in the bedrooms although the bathroom was good.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
350SHemy350, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Bedrooms have been refurbished with new beds, bedding, decoration and bathrooms (2013). Yes, we are a Georgian conversion and we advertise as such as we believe that this is a plus point not a negative ,and separates us as an independent, family run hotel offering good, personal service, amongst a myriad of new chain style hotels in Newcastle.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

on our arrival, the rear of the hotel where we parked our car looked untidy, and a bit scruffy, there was no one on the reception, we had to search to the top floor to find someone to check us in,inside, is an interesting mix of eclectic and modern, the bar and restaurant was dusty, they had no Jack Daniels, no nuts or crisps which was disappointing as we got back from a concert at 11.30 pm and would have liked a nightcap and nibbles, feet from the night before.
The bedroom was lovely, very clean, nice bedding, modern TV (although no remote control)
The bathroom was clean, and warm
The staff are very nice and friendly, the breakfast was probably the best I have had in a long time, full english, arrived quickly, was hot , not greasy, good portion, with toast, and a pot of nice coffee.
all in all it was well worth the £50 we paid for 2 of us for 1 night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2012

To be clear from the start: this is a two-star hotel. I don't know what a hotel has to do to be given two-star status, but I do know that the star rating only reflects the features and facilities, and not things like the friendliness of the staff or the tastiness of the breakfast. So within the two star rating there is bound to be a huge range of quality.

This is a good quality two-star hotel. It did not discernibly have a gym, nor was 24-hour room service offered. This is neither a Marriott, nor a Hilton; if these are the hotels you're hoping for then I can sincerely recommend the Marriott and the Hilton. This review will assess the hotel in the context of it being neither.

My room (#11, in the attic) was clean, well-presented and although it was relatively small the space was well utilised and it didn't feel pokey. The shower was fine, and the shower room was equipped with complimentary soap and shampoo.

The room itself had a huge television for the size of room, the single bed and a leather sofa that appeared to convert to a double bed. The bed was comfortable; the room was warm. There was a writing desk or dressing table, a full-length mirror, and a trouser press on the landing for communal use.

I'm not sure who the staff I met were; they may have been the owners. A man checked me in; he was very friendly. A woman took the key from me in the morning; she was very friendly too.

The bar and restaurant downstairs seemed nice and although I ate elsewhere, a friend local to the area said that the restaurant was well regarded.

The area seems nice, too, with a scattering of independent shops and plenty of bars and restaurants. There was some noise from outside at around 10pm; I can't imagine it'd be a problem unless you are a very light sleeper.

Minor negative points include a creaky door at the top of the stairs (drop of oil would solve), the absence of a hook in the bathroom, the fact that the bed was against the wall with the television such that you couldn't watch telly from bed and the fact that the sky light didn't open (presumably for health and safety reasons).

I was staying here on business in the city centre and only stayed here because city centre hotels were booked out (owing the the presence of a certain Mr. Springsteen) but would happily stay again.

Room Tip: I'd be tempted to ask for the second floor in case the bar gets lively