“DIsappointing”
Review of Kenilworth Hotel

Kenilworth Hotel
Reviewed 19 July 2014

First off, I must say that the staff were generally friendly and helpful. The room was a good size, clean and the shower was plenty hot enough. On the down side, bearing in mind that this is a 4* hotel ....

Our initial thought was that they had piled some old furniture at the front of the hotel. Actually it was the garden furniture with cushions removed to avoid it getting wet (I guess).

One of the staff burst into the room thinking we weren't in; he did knock but I didn't have time to reach the door first. My husband had to step into the bathroom because he was undressed. It seems that the hotel stores all their spare duvets and pillows in Room 8 (where we were staying). He offered to come back, but it was simpler to let him get the bedding while he was there.

It's definitely in need of a revamp. We reported that the bathroom mirror light bulb wasn't working, but it wasn't replaced; the bed was on an angle and sloped to one side; the bathroom sink drain leaked. It had made the spare loo roll wet - so we discovered that we'd run out of loo roll on our last morning.

Breakfast was disappointing and it was sometime before anyone appeared to take our order. The drinks, though an orange colour, were not orange juice. The cooked breakfast was reasonable, although the sliced bread was dull, as were the little sachets of jam/marmalade.

On the plus side, it was cheap and available and in the area we needed to be. We have stayed In other hotels in this area and we would have returned to one of them but they were already full.

Room Tip: I think there may have been free wifi, but it's not something that we use. We were on the top f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
sfh66, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your review and we are pleased that you found the hotel to be good value and our staff friendly.

However, we feel that your comments are unjustified in relation to 4 star hotel standards as we are not, and do not advertise as a 4 star hotel but AA assessed 4 star guest accommodation. As such, our amenities are not as one would expect in a 4 star hotel but neither is the price which would be at least tripled in hotels offering these facilities.

Yes, we do take cushions off outdoor furniture but this is only to prevent them being ruined. The bathroom mirror had to be fixed by an electrician- this has been done but it was not simply a bulb replacement and the leak has also been fixed. We apologise for these inconveniences but routine maintenance has sorted out these issues. Comments about a revamp are puzzling as this room was decorated 3 weeks ago with a new carpet and the bathroom was refurbished 18 months ago!

Breakfast we believe is good value: it is freshly cooked to order and we also offer a range of cereals, yoghurts and fruit from our buffet table. With free Wifi, free car parking and prices from £50 for a double room we believe that we offer our guests well above the basics required for accommodation of our type.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

During the three years my Son was at Newcastle University, my family have stayed at a number of hotels in Osbourne Road. Mostly these have been reasonable value for money; none so fabulous to make me want to write a glowing review on TripAdvisor, nor bad enough to prompt a review either . . . Until now.

Seven of us travelled to Newcastle to attend my Son's Graduation Ceremony and we were all booked in at the Kenilworth.

We booked a family room, one double and a single room. Although we only stayed one night it was not a pleasant experience.

Here are the reasons to avoid staying;

- The hotel is in poor state of repair.
- The fixtures and fittings are shabby with electrical sockets hanging off the wall.
- The family room was tiny and only just fitted the beds in with little room to move around.
- The room smelled of cigarette smoke.
- The bathroom reeked of damn and was unpleasant to use.
- There was a dead fly in the toilet.
- There was no aircon in the room, which being right at the top of the house, was stiflingly hot.
- There was no fan in the room, nor was there one available from reception.
- The windows are old and difficult to open.
- Once open, the noise from the road makes it impossible to sleep.
- There was no iron in the room and the one available from reception had a badly frayed lead - dangerously so in my opinion.

To balance this review, I have to say that the staff I encountered during my stay were very welcoming and attentive.

Given all of the above, I did not feel able to eat in the hotel. I saw no evidence of uncleanliness with food preparation, but I was not willing to take the chance.

This hotel needs some serious investment and refurbishment before I would consider going near it again. Even for a "budget" hotel, and it wasn't all that cheap, it certainly was not value for money.

Room Tip: If you must, go for a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Andy_from_Wirral
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

A small carpark around the back, a tight squeeze with my van it's on a first come, first parked. The reception is the bar asked for most of details eg, restaurant times, wifi code and asked for the room key! Room 1 was okay spacious with dated furniture the bed was okay as was the shower. Evening food was okay as was breakfast good choice on offer but the orange juice tasted a bit watery.
Staff were friendly enough
The hotel is okay nothing special.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew T
sfh66, Owner at Kenilworth Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your review and we note your comments. However, some points need clarification ;

Our car park is has 1 car park space per bedroom and pro rata is the largest on Osborne Road. Most hotels have at least 3 times as many bedrooms as us and smaller car parks.

The room referred to by this guest has a brand new modern bathroom, comfortable new bed and built in wardrobe. The desk is of a traditional style, but we find that most guests like this as it gives a work surface for computers etc.

We believe that as a small, independent hotel we offer great service, comfortable rooms,an excellent breakfast and superb value for money with double rooms starting from £50.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

After we had filled in registration form the manager came and studied hotel register and told us another couple of same name had checked in. I said was he saying we didn't have a room- yes he said- they were full!! He claimed never to have heard of Hotels.com whom we'd booked with, we booked through them and stayed at his hotel last year! So we went next door and found another room, 1/2 the price and nicer. He seemed to know who Hotels.com were when my cancellation came through. He came to the hotel we had moved to and told reception he wouldn't pay for us now! Very odd behaviour.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank GillianPC

We understand that there was indeed a problem with this booking and apologised profusely to the guests as we found them alternative accommodation. However, we did not refuse to pay the bill: the customer understandably cancelled the online booking and then insisted that we pay for the hotel next door, in effect paying nothing themselves!

As for the alternative hotel being much nicer: this may be the guests' opinion but online reviews from booking agents do not suggest this to be true.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I recently stayed in a family room in this hotel (Monday - Wednesday) and have some issues regarding the accommodation.

On arriving I made my way with my family - wife and two children (6 and 1 yrs old). There was no travel cot in the room so I asked for one to be brought up. After checking in and moving our luggage to our room we left the hotel for several hours to visit family and came back for my youngest sons bed time - when we got to our room there was no travel cot - so I asked again. This was brought up within 15 mins with some sheets. On inspection of the cot it was extremely dirty around the top edges with no obvious attempt to try and clean it made the base and insides of the cot were dusty so I refused to use use it and placed it out side of the room and decide not to use it and placed him in our bed.

The single bed in which my daughter slept was adjacent to a plastic screen against the wall (to protect the wall) this was damaged at the corner and very sharp and posed a significant risk to her -I pointed this out to her and asked her to be careful.

When putting her to bed I moved the bed out slightly to pull back the covers and looked down the side of the bed and was shocked at the amount of dust / dirt!!!

On going down to breakfast in the fists day I asked for a high chair and was given a yellow on which when opening it up contained 'old chips' presumably from its last use and some mould stains on the side - I removed the chips and wiped off the mould with a baby wipe.

On the second morning some of the cereal bowls were covered in a thin film of what can only be described as grease!

Also when checking out the doors to the rooms were propped open and I was discussed to see that the pillows and duvets were (once being removed from their covers) just left lying on the floor- presumably until the beds were remade!!

The staff were on the whole friendly and pleasant and the bathroom was nice and clean.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Catickner

Thank you for your review and we regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

We have replaced the travel cot which hadn't been used for quite some time an apologise if it wasn't as clean as it should have been. We don't however, accept many of the other criticisms. The room in question has recently been redecorated with brand new beds and a newly refitted bathroom.We believe that we offer good value for money and great customer service and have a many regular customers who return on a regular basis.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed at The Kenilworth for one night and found it to be very good value for the money.
We arrived one hour before the time we had advised the hotel, so staff were a bit short on the ground as you would expect ( room changeover ).
Agree with previous guest on the hot water but the cold shower certainly was refreshing, the hot water was on later so no problem with this on the morning.
No shortage of coffee/tea in the room.
We found the bed perfect for a good night's sleep and no noise from the surrounding area.
Breakfast a good variety to choose from, we had the full English which we both really enjoyed.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming.
For a short break would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just back from a weekend with a group of friends and was very pleased with our stay, happy with our rooms, breakfast was great with a selection for everyone. Staff at kenilworth were very friendly and done everything to accommodate us, would stay here again :-)

• Stayed: April 2014