“Good fo the price and location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jesmond Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Jesmond Hotel
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Good fo the price and location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed for 4 nights while up in Newcastle on business. Given room 24. The room was pleasant enough with only two slight niggles:

1. ITV on the TV was stuck in audio descriptive mode and as the remote had been changed to a generic one there was no way of turning it off.
2. The hot water took a long time to come through the system in the morning.

Apart from those two very minor things the hotel was fine and the staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jesmondhotel_newcast, Manager at Jesmond Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the Price and Location of the Hotel. I have taken note of your feedback and will certainly be following up on this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
With my best wishes

Nitesh Singh
Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed here for one night when visiting Newcastle University. Situated on Osborne Road it is centrally located meaning you can walk around the popular student area of Jesmond, around Newcastle Uni and into the city centre. There were undoubtedly issues with the hotel but at only 35 pounds a head it is very reasonable, well run and I would go there again.

Pros:

Clean room
Efficient service (though no advice offered or friendly welcome)
Parking immediately outside hotel (using the hotels permits)
Prime location (15 mins to uni, 20 to town, in central Jesmond)
Nice breakfast room (annexed restaurant)
Free Wifi

Cons:

Oddly shaped room (we were in the twin room and the beds are facing each other which was a little disconcerting)
Full English Breakfast the food was not great would recommend going to a nearby cafe instead
Noise- as other TA reviewers have mentioned there was a lot of traffic noise from Osborne road, hard to help I suppose for such a busy road but had we not been absolutely exhausted I think it would have disturbed us. Also in the twin room the 2nd floor floorboards are extremely creaky which woke us up in the morning.

Overall I would say it is a basic hotel: clean and warm in a great location there are improvements that need making but for a budget stay and if you are visiting the uni or students it is ideal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the location of the Hotel. I have taken note of your feedback and will certainly be following up on this.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Regards
Nitesh
Management
Galashiels, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

A pleasant enough hotel, although a bit overpriced for the type of accommodation. However, although the hotel's policy states it will not accept stag or hen parties, this is clearly not the case. We left to go for a meal at 4.30pm and asked the receptionist to check on the guy who was semi-conscious in the doorway to his room. From 4am onwards another (or perhaps the same) guy slept in the corridor outside my daughter's room, and the group (4 guys) spent the rest of the night wandering between their rooms keeping everyone awake. I complained to manager who said it was a stag party. I was offered a total of £15 compensation (£5 for each of us!) - an insult considering what kind of night we spent there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SusanWGala
jesmondhotel_newcast, Manager at Jesmond Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear SusanWGala

I’m sorry to hear of the disappointment you experienced during your recent stay with us here at Jesmond Hotel.

Your feedback regarding your last stay has been shared with the team and a coaching session arranged with the receptionist and Night Porter who dealt with your arrival and stay. I was really surprised to read your comments as the team are the most complemented point of the hotel and I receive endless praise emails and letters regarding the reception team. That said I do accept there is always room for improvement.

Your rate of £90 bed and breakfast is a very good value rate for the room which you booked on Saturday night. We do offer really lower rates when booking in advance and for our different room categories, or when opting for a room only rate. I do however appreciate that people have differing levels of expectation.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is provided to all hotel guests on our 512kbs speed option.

The hotel opened in 1990s and was refurbished in 2010. The style of the hotel is clearly very traditional and the pictures on our website and other third party websites are a very accurate portrayal of the hotel. Perhaps I may suggest a little more research when selecting future hotels to help avoid further disappointment.

I’ve spoken to the hotel staff in our last management meeting myself this afternoon and found it to group of guys they booked the room separately and checked in separately according to their convenience. As a precaution I have asked my reception and night team to check the corridor on hourly basis especially when the hotel is full. I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience. We do have a 24-hour reception team so there is always someone on hand to help should it be required. And I checked the staff that was doing night shift on the particular night and he did not mention to me that you complain about anything on that particular night. If you could let us know on that time then he could check on immediate basis and deal the problem which you faced on that particular night. I’m confident that if you had raised such an issue we would have been quick to rectify the problem or offer another available nearby room. I’m sure if you would have alerted a member of the team or the manager on duty that we would have easily rectified any issues for you.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope despite you feelings that you will consider Jesmond Hotel the next time you are in the area.

Yours sincerely

Nitesh
Management

Jesmond Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Newcastle upon Tyne hotels

Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Jesmond hotel is more like a large bnb, with a separate Persian restaurant downstairs. It's in a nice quiet residential area of Newcastle (though on the main road). The lobby and restaurant are smartly decorated and furnished, but this is misleading, as the rooms upstairs are a bit tired and shabby. The real shame of this place is that the walls are paper thin - don't expect a good night's sleep.

Pros:
- nice lobby and breakfast room (in the restaurant)
- decent breakfast - quick service, at any time 7am-9am (later at weekends)
- powerful shower
- everything pretty clean, though tiles, walls, etc a bit old with age.
- safe and nice area of town, easy to walk or get the metro to the centre
- cheap price per night

Cons:
- walls are paper thin. Next door to my room was watching tv at a normal volume but it sounded like the tv was right next to my ears. On the second night they watched tv until 1am, and I could hear every word. On the third night I asked them to turn it down which they of course did, but other things kept me awake - e.g. noisy slam doors, plumbing, strange dripping noise on the ceiling, staff putting out the bins after the restaurant shut etc.

- check in was quick, but perhaps too quick. The man on the desk just asked for my name, and then immediately asked me to pay the bill, gave me the key card and that was it. No welcome, no 'how was your journey?', no 'do you need advice on where to go in Newcastle?', no help with my suitcase up the narrow stairs. The staff at breakfast were however friendlier.
- decor in the room was a bit shabby and old, and the bed was lumpy.

- on the first night, I realised that there was no tea or milk with the kettle - just one sachet of instant coffee and some sugar. They hadn't bothered to refill. These were replenished on the second morning, but it shows a lack of attention to detail. This lack of attention was also shown by the curtains, which were a little too short, so let the light in at the bottom.

- rooms are small - o.k. if you're out most of the time, as I was, but not if you're intending to spend much time here. My room overlooked the back of the hotel and a massive extractor pipe from the restaurant, although unlike some of the other reviewers it wasn't noisy or smelly. Just a bit ugly.

- wifi was patchy and kept going off (at least it was free)

So in sum, if you're a heavy sleeper you'll be fine here, but next time I will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I can agree with the other bad reviews, twice I've stayed here & twice I've had to ask for hot running water. Apparently the boiler 'switches itself off', think that needs fixing.

Hairs on the bed, it's disgraceful.

Cleaning staff banging around, yes, I know, they have to do there job, I understand, but not knocking in your door, coming in & seeing your in bed and leaving!

Absolute box room, on both occasions, doesn't get any smaller than this, people!
Your shower will just about fit you in, if your skinny and have no shoulders and arms.

Mould and mildew in the shower and it's panels.

Shouldn't of came back, but did so because family live close by & no other hotels were available for under a massive marked up price.

Would rather pay Hilton prices, than put up with it again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

If you put me in one of your worst rooms on the second floor then you can expect a poor review! Just because I am on my own here on business it doesn't mean you can put me in a poorly maintained cramped 2nd floor (no elevator) room. Light above bed don't work. Light by window don't work, mirror light in en-suite don't work. Extractor fan does work, sounds like diesel tractor misfiring in an echo chamber. It's so load it blocks out the TV sound completely. The window has a large gap when "closed" that let's in sound, cold and draft in equal measure. The chair has seen better days and is too low for the built-in desk/dressing table/ window shelf. The bed has given me backache and the place is so cramped that I can't move around my small cabin baggage sized case without tripping over it! Avoid this place. If you want a bargain then go elsewhere!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Disscfrench
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very good rating given because for the tariff this hotel is very good value for the cost. The staff were very friendly, warm and welcoming.
The room was clean and comfortable if a little small, (again, as expected for the price,) I stayed for 2 nights and will be booking for the future on a regular basis as I cannot justify paying double the price for a bigger room that I spend little time in
The 'Taste of Persia' restaurant was excellent, good service and quality food for a very reasonable price

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor and was not disturbed by any noise at all