“Lovely Hotel in excellent Location”
Review of Jesmond Hotel

Jesmond Hotel
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We stayed at the Jesmond Hotel for 1 night after visiting Beamish open Museum, and to explore Newcastle city the next day. The hotel is in a smart, leafy suburb, 2 minutes walk from the lovely bars and restaurants of Jesmond, which have a great atmosphere without being rowdy and only a 20 minute walk or a £5.00 taxi ride from Newcastle centre. On arrival we found the hotel to be smart, modern and very well kept, and were given a very friendly welcome. It is on the corner of a main road and does not have a car park but we were given a parking permit which enabled us to park opposite the Hotel free of charge. We had asked for 2 quiet rooms on the side of the hotel, which were very modern, comfortable and bright with all the usual amenities, tea and coffee making facilities, television, bath and shower with shower gel etc. The Hotel has a restaurant but I can't comment on it as we didn't eat there but the food on the menu sounded lovely. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and after a stroll down to the bars and restaurants we headed back and had a drink in the hotel bar. The full cooked breakfast in the morning was excellent and set us up for the day, the Hotel ordered us a taxi to the City Centre and we were able to leave the car at the hotel free until 5o'clock, even though we had checked out. When we visit Newcastle again we will most definitely be booking in at the Jesmond, it may be a small hotel, 18 rooms, but it has a charming, friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 October 2010

Just went to visit my son at the New Castle University where he is study abroad for one semester. The school suggested to stay some where in Jesmond and after reading all the reviews on Tripadvisor, I decided to go with the Desmond Hotel. I corresponded with the hotel via e-mail regarding transportation to and from the airport and dining options and they quickly responded. The Metro took car of all my shuttling back and forth and was very convenient! ! I was greeted by a very nice gentleman named Jonathan. He was friendly and informative about the surrounding area! I was given a rm on the 4th floor, which I may add was a walk-up. The reason why I am mentioning this, is in case someone had a problem going up and down the stairs for health issues or the elderly. I suggest you request in this case a rm on the first floor (which is still one flight up!)

The rm was very small and because it was on the top floor under an easement, part of the ceiling was sloped. The room was extremely clean and had all the necessities that someone would need. Bed was very comfortable with duvet and nice plump pillows! There was a coffee pot and flat screen TV!! Internet was free, but spotty at best! Bathroom was very small, but manageable!

Breakfast was included. A nice assortment of cereal, yogurts and juices on the buffet table. There was also a hot breakfast offered of eggs, toast, ham and bacon! Breakfast was delicious!! I will critique the restaurant at the restaurant site!!! But I will tell you that dinner was delicious!
My only complaint is that there is no insulation within the walls!! You can literally hear when someone puts the bathroom fan on!! You never need a wake up call, as your neighbors who are there for work will wake you!

Pleasant, safe, clean and most accommodating!! Would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting New Castle!! A gem!

the Metr and sourro

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Pleased with the location - upmarket leafy area and only 5-10 minute walk to Metro stations (Jesmond or Jesmond West). Road was busy but I didn't hear any traffic during the night (friends say the road get's busier and noisier when students are back)

I arrived on a Monday when they don't serve evening meals which was a bit galling but at least there are plenty of poncey restaurants in the same road (one even had black grass outside!). There is a Tesco’s Metro store five minute walk and a Starbucks, an excellent Oxfam bookshop and up-market clothes stores.

Room was OK - missing a teaspoon and hatch left open in ceiling but otherwise clean and bright. Had a shower cubicle which was difficult to squeeze into but I'm not the most lithe!

Following day I found the food made up for any niggles. Breakfast was good and quickly provided. The evening meal was excellent (although not sure why the starter had to use "French" black pudding - surely we make the best? Three courses cost £21 (without alcohol). Hotel’s web site has an example menu to show the range of courses.

Overall at £50 a night B&B this was excellent VFM and would recommend for a mid-week business trip

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsMiggins46
Reviewed 3 September 2010

A theme through many of my reviews is "never sleep in a restaurant, never eat in a hotel". This week, mostly through exhaustion but also having read the reviews of this place I decided to eat in the bar. What I got for £8.95 was amazing - delicious duck spring rolls followed by a main course of shoulder of pork with black pudding on creamy mash served with crisp, fresh vegetables. If the bar were better stocked the experience would have been perfect. My only criticism of the bar menu is that it doesn't change. It would be nice to have a special of the day to introduce a little variety. Breakfast was very good - especially the sausages which are tasty and grilled not deep fried (a good indicator of how lazy an establishment's kitchen is).

My room on the top floor was a small double. It was clean, comfortable and had a good sized shower room. The hotel wifi was flaky but there was a BT Openzone network within range that seemed to work OK.

Overall for the price paid it is good value and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights for a friend's wedding and had a twin room, which was just about big enough to manoeuvre around, altho I did start getting frustrated when I was getting ready as I had to jump over beds to get to the wardrobe etc. The bathroom was ok, bit dated (like the room itself), but it did the job. The shower was very powerful but made a horrible noise from the pipes after a minute or so.

I asked to be put in a room at the back, as it is on a busy road, which was a good move on my part, was pretty quiet and got a good night's sleep. Beds were very comfortable and duvets nice and snug.

It was in a convenient location for the wedding we were going to and as far as I could tell was close to the city centre. There were a lot of bars on the same road, so is perfect if you want to go out. We were also given a parking permit, so could park directly outside which was convenient.

Breakfast was great! and service on the front desk when we arrived was friendly. The night porter was a funny guy, once you broke his initial frosty exterior.

For the price we paid, it was a little on the expensive side but I think it would've been harder to find anything better in the area.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Staff were immediately helpful when we arrived and were flexible, friendly and accommodating. As a result we stay another night. Room was straightforward but decently equipped - good shower and TV

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Fab hotel ,fab location staff we could not fault if there was one minor fault the room was a little small,but overall cannot fault this little gem.Breakfast was spot on after a night out in the town we have to mention Sarah on reception who was very friendly n helpful, n John the night porter who again was very friendly n cooked a mean breakie all staff spot on will defo be coming back n too all reading this you cannot get a better place to stay for the price n location ....

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple