“Great hotel with amazing staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Northumbria Hotel

The New Northumbria Hotel
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great hotel with amazing staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 13th January, what can I say , lovely rooms, superb breakfast but the best thing about the hotel is the amazing staff, the night manager Alan was a star, nothing was to much trouble, he put himself out just to make our stay that much better, a true gent, he was matched by the 2 day receptionists Erika and Amie who made our time at the hotel a wonderful experience.. Many thanks and we will be back soon!

Stayed January 2014
The Northumbria H, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Its great to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the New Northumbria and that you appreciate the effort in which all the staff that work at the hotel put into their job to make sure that all customers enjoy their experience with us. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

Stayed at the New Northumbria Hotel for two nights on the 5th & 6th January 2014 (Room 110) reception staff very welcoming, lovely room, comfy bed, everything you need for your stay, Tea & Coffee facilities, including biscuits, Iron & Board, Hair Dryer, small selection of toiletries, ample towels also Free WiFi. Breakfast well not a lot you can do with it but a good selection of cereal, juice, muffins, yogurt & fruit and also a cooked selection including a full English. Enjoyed the Carbonara, Sunday night in the restaurant but I have had better Tirimisu. On the whole really enjoyed my stay, would recommend it to anyone and I will be staying there again next time I am in Newcastle.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a lovely review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the start of January. It's great that you enjoyed your meal in Scalini's restaurant too - shall pass on your comments regarding the tirimisu. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend last week and had a great experience! We were greeted by two very friendly blonde girls who were more than happy to help with any queries such as directions to around the city! Later on, we had trouble with our key and we were greeted by the manager and night porter who were very quick to help us. The room was excellent and we slept very well. in the morning a nice young man helped us check out speedily as we were in a hurry and helped us with our bags. Overall, a hotel full of great staff and the location could not be better. would recommend to anyone of any age!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely comment. All of our staff will be thrilled to hear your kind words and see that their hard work is appreciated. We are so pleased to hear that you would recommend us to others. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Darlington, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the New Northumbria, both times have been on New Years Eve. We enjoyed our previous stay (in 2010) and were excited to see that some refurbishments had been completed in the intervening period.

First, the good points; the room was well decorated (one of the new ones), and had good facilities (although the mini bar was empty, and the toiletries could be a touch more generous), the room and hotel were clean and the location is good.

On to the problems; we stayed in room 118 - this is directly above Osbournes bar (part of the hotel) and, when the party started (at around 5, 6pm) the noise was unbelievable. I was prepared to overlook this as it was New Years Eve, and it is perhaps to be expected. I slept well enough over night (as one tends to on New Year anyway) and this is really where the trouble began.

Breakfast.

This was - categorically - the worst breakfast I have ever had in any hotel. The problems were as follows;

1. When seated we were asked if we wanted hot drinks; we asked for tea. This did not arrive until we requested it a second time (well over 5 minutes later). When it did, it came without milk. Cue another 5 minute wait.
2. At no point were we given menus or asked to order, or even offered some toast. We only managed to get an order in when the milk arrived by asking for two full English breakfasts.
3. The food took well over 30 minutes to arrive, and was probably pushing 45 minutes.
4. There were no beans....
5. ...and the server tried to suggest we had asked for it when bringing our plates "two full English no beans?" "No, I wanted beans - you haven't got any" "...Yeah, sorry".
6. The food we did receive was average at best.
7. Compared to other plates, we did not get any black pudding (other plates that came after ours did), we had tinned mushrooms (other plates had baked field mushrooms) and we had 1 hash brown (other plates had 2).

So that is the litany of an awful, awful breakfast. Our experience was by no means unique, numerous other diners were having the same difficulties.

On check out, I raised my concerns and was offered; a free room upgrade and a free breakfast on our next visit. Laughable. I would not have breakfast here again if you paid me. I was anticipating perhaps having the cost of breakfast refunded - reasonable enough, I felt.

I've emailed the hotel since with regard to the issue, where the reception advised me the manager would contact me as soon as he could this week. So far, I have heard nothing. And that's after I emailed them again to ask what was going on.

For the price, you will be able to stay somewhere much better than this. Avoid.

Room Tip: Try to get on the second floor, to avoid noise from bars below. Don't get breakfast. Stay...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We enjoyed our first stay here, so we took the opportunity to revisit the hotel early in the new year for our wedding anniversary. We felt let down again by the breakfast, so we recommend to all travellers, until you hear otherwise, avoid having breakfast here.
The room was lovely as before, we were given a second floor suite, which deadened the sound from the bar below, but unfortunately the lift wasn't working so the stairs it was.The decor in the common areas is looking dated, and rather worn too. The room was very presentable, large screen TV on the wall of the bedroom and the adjoining room. Tea making facilities, but no mineral water! Plenty of sockets for phone chargers etc, small deep bath with shower overhead. two double beds pushed together to make one very large bed, very comfortable.
Please be aware that Osborne Road has a number of large hotels and restaurants on it, and so can be quite noisey late on.
Breakfast, again was a let down. The location had changed from our previous visit, it was now in Scalini's next door. it didn't bode well whenthere was no orange juice, then there was no side plates and the toast was paper thin and in whole slices. The full english was acceptable, and hot which was great, but the sausage was very poor quality. You had to find your own milk for the pot of tea, very little choice for "continental" breakfast.
Overall a nice hotel which is refelected in the rating, but if you like the idea of staying here, do it without the breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the New Northumbria Hotel, however we are sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast experience. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention and we will look into this area of service to see the areas for improvements. We hope to see you again soon.
Banbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

OK so it was the night before the Great Northwest run which I hadn't realised coincided with the day I took my daughter to UnI for the first time.

So 100 quid for a room -no choice, nothing else about so had to take it -apparently it was usually £160. I just needed somewhere to get my head down after travelling across from Northern Ireland, going to IKEA and shifting boxes up to her flat in the halls of residence for hours on end.

I don't know about you but in this day and age I don't expect to see mould in the bathroom (have photo but wouldnt load) and when I went down to breakfast the following morning I sat there like a lemon while the staff manged to forget the usual "good morning how are you and would you like tea or coffee?" and chatted between themselves (I gave up on breakfast not being in the best of humour at this point). Did I mention the shabby corridors and stairwells at the back of the hotel which I had to go though to get to my luxuriously appointed room (sarcasm).

This was back in September and the promise of the rooms being refurbed in December and a money off voucher for my next visit (ha!) was supposed to make me feel better about the place.

It didn't and it wasn't a nice experience -although to be fair I was so tired I slept well -even through the noise from the nightclub below.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
The Northumbria H, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
We are really sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us back in September and are sorry that you did not feel that your complaint was not with appropriately at the time of stay. We thank you for your feedback and will take your comments forward to help us improve our services for the future.
Cleveland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

stayed at this hotel on the 20th December 2013, as we where going to the Newcastle Falcon's game, The hotel is modern, but the room was quite small for a superior room, the room was clean and tidy, but maybe needed some DIY jobs doing as the cupboard door was hanging off!
Breakfast is served in the restaurant attached to the hotel and not very organised, there was only my husband and I initially in the restaurant, there was no continental out other than juice. Eventually we where seated by a lady who was very friendly and explained that she did not put the food out as there was not enough people that morning, this felt awkward as she told us we could order it. We decided to order cooked food, meanwhile we had music in the restaurant and also coming from the kitchen,when the lady eventually reappeared we asked her to sort the music so she shut the kitchen door. We waited a long time for an ok breakfast.
In all it was an ok hotel for an overnight stop, breakfast could of been better.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The Northumbria H, Manager at The New Northumbria Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your recent stay. We do have a handy man on site, so thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will make sure that the door is fixed straight away. Thank you for your feedback.